Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Snowfall of the Winter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My in-laws have had snow for a few weeks in northern Slovakia. They're at 500m asl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That's probably a bit earlier than most years too. Same goes around here in southern BC, some big dumps of snow recently in the local mountains, I would say mostly above 800m asl.

I am sticking to my snow guns and saying at least half-measure repeat of 2010 shaping up, it may not be the epic event we saw then, but remember how mild it was in the first half of November? The mean temperature fell from about 10 C after first week to 4 C end of month and the last week averaged below zero in places.

If we can just get a bit of that pattern snow should be a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's probably a bit earlier than most years too. Same goes around here in southern BC, some big dumps of snow recently in the local mountains, I would say mostly above 800m asl.

I am sticking to my snow guns and saying at least half-measure repeat of 2010 shaping up, it may not be the epic event we saw then, but remember how mild it was in the first half of November? The mean temperature fell from about 10 C after first week to 4 C end of month and the last week averaged below zero in places.

If we can just get a bit of that pattern snow should be a formality.

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

:eek::eek::eek::D:D:pac::pac:[/quote]
    Snow must be close if leahyl is back :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Are we allowed to put in a second guess :rolleyes:

Well I did pick the Mourne Mts but read Carnacalla's first post properly this time and see he mentions allowing Hills so I better pick another . Looking at the charts it would seem to cool down a fair bit around the 6th for a few days at least and purely by looking at the charts I am going to say a chance of snowfall at Lough Fea in the early hours of the 8th Nov :)

dxCetYt.png?1

Kqupr5m.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

first dusting on the galtees today1zgth8y.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

first dusting on the galtees today

Thats frost not snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

jimbis wrote: »
    I'm gonna take a stab at 29th November as its my birthday:pac: South Dublin foothills (think 3rock might be too high to qualify).

Ha, We share the same birthday!

So 29th Nov for me too, reported at Dublin airport. (promise I wont edit the feed to suit).:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

first dusting on the galtees today1zgth8y.jpg

Not snow that's frost!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A decent wedge of snow possible for the Scottish highlands late Tuesday

nmmuk-1-55-0.png?06-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A decent wedge of snow possible for the Scottish highlands late Tuesday

Yep - snow warning out for us for tomorrow, don't know if it will go as low as where I live (near Glasgow, about 130m asl) but parts of my commute are up around 200m so it could be interesting tomorrow evening. Had to scrape the ice off the car for the first time this year this morning.

BBC forecast looks hopeful for Tuesday evening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650405

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today struggled to get much past 7C here. Very sharp frost last night which stayed around till 11am.

Could be an early frost tonight but milder and wet later in the night. Not sure even our high ground will see any wintryness. Next weekend is looking quite mild with temps possibly reaching 16C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Bit late to this but I'm going for 5th Dec at Knock, a perfect way to start a Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The_A

November 14th, dunno where

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rain tomorrow will initially fall as snow in some places before turning back to rain according to Met Eireann.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

hmm with any luck the 24th December in Kildare:)

I grew up travelling north on Stephens day ,when I was very little I thought that Ireland always got snow then!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Batten down the hatches, the forecast on RTE has just mentioned the "snow" word,:D:D:D as the warm front comes in and meets up with the cold air that's over the country at the moment.

As for where, or how much, that was left somewhat vague, but it would seem that almost anywhere on the east side of the country could possible see some flakes, but not for long.

Wasn't expecting to be seeing flakes quite this early, but there will be some that will be happy to see it. The forum mods probably won't be so pleased to see things go mad here this early in the winter, March is still a LONG time away :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm going to be standing around up in the hills around Glendalough on Saturday night marshalling a charity walk, so if it does snow I'll be sure to take a few photographs for you all if I don't freeze to the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sadly the Temps haven't gotten down anywhere near as low as expected, so no snow likely, unless of course you live on top of the Wicklow mountains or something to that accord. Lowest temperature a Met Eireann weather station is recording is 2c at 1am, highest is 10c at Mace Head!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sadly the Temps haven't gotten down anywhere near as low as expected, so no snow likely, unless of course you live on top of the Wicklow mountains or something to that accord. Lowest temperature a Met Eireann weather station is recording is 2c at 1am, highest is 10c at Mace Head!

not a chance of snow, it's several degrees milder than what met eireann predicted earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

MT's post this morning made me squeal in delight ....it's happening !!!

"OUTLOOK ... Frequent showers and gusty winds, near normal temperatures for most of next week, with the week following that (after 18th November) looking quite cold in more of a northerly regime. If there's going to be some significant frost and scattered snow showers, current indications would suggest 20th to 24th looking like that window of opportunity. Having said that there are no charts yet suggesting heavy snow or severe cold. "

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

NMB wrote: »
    MT's post this morning made me squeal in delight ....it's happening !!!

"OUTLOOK ... Frequent showers and gusty winds, near normal temperatures for most of next week, with the week following that (after 18th November) looking quite cold in more of a northerly regime. If there's going to be some significant frost and scattered snow showers, current indications would suggest 20th to 24th looking like that window of opportunity. Having said that there are no charts yet suggesting heavy snow or severe cold. "

Mmmm....maybe I am missing something but doesn't his post indicate there are no charts yet showing snow or severe cold? 😆😆....so I wouldn't be jumping for joy. Also if you are a new poster, please heed a very strong health warning in respect of winter weather in Ireland, 80% of the time anticipated snow never materialises. The golden rule is if the forecast snow is not within a 24-48 hour timeline, it's unlikely. Stick to that rule and you won't go far wrong 😉

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

derekon wrote: »
    Mmmm....maybe I am missing something but doesn't his post indicate there are no charts yet showing snow or severe cold? 😆😆....so I wouldn't be jumping for joy. Also if you are a new poster, please heed a very strong health warning in respect of winter weather in Ireland, 80% of the time anticipated snow never materialises. The golden rule is if the forecast snow is not within a 24-48 hour timeline, it's unlikely. Stick to that rule and you won't go far wrong 😉

D

Morning ! not my first ride on the polarcoaster and I'll take anything from MT as a trip to paddypower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes and if 4 or 5 days of snow promised 20th to 24th

We will likely get 3 hours of wintry showers one of those mornings then rain

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes and if 4 or 5 days of snow promised 20th to 24th

We will likely get 3 hours of wintry showers one of those mornings then rain

Glad to see your optimistic outlook hasnt changed over the years. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

My Dad says that around 6am this morning in Tipp there was a very very light snow falling! Nothing that lodged or stayed around though.

also another thing to bear in mind for newcomers is no matter how snowy and cold the Uk forecasts become, those forecasts often bear no relation of what it's like in Ireland. Ive seen plenty of 12C differences between Dublin and the UK in both winter and summer.

It's still not winter yet so plenty of time for snow to finally make a decent appearance for the first time since Christmas Day 2010.

todays relentless rain is now across Scotland and bringing heavy snow to many places already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Snow here for the last hour, starting to stick now

DSC_8506.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Glasgow airport reporting Snow and 0c at 20:20,

Snow in the forecast for Manchester, Liverpool, Doncaster and Leeds Bradford airports, with sleet in the forecast for Stansted, Luton, Edinburgh, Birmingham, East Midlands and Inverness airports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement