Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Snowfall of the Winter

Options

Comments

Some snow in the Ardennes, Belgium a couple of days ago.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2814072

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we could be looking on with envy with snow reports all over the UK media tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looking at the charts into the rest of the month and not looking that cool at all for us with a more Atlantic type weather, MT mentioned a colder spell around the 20 - 24 Nov. Long range charts showing big lows tracking North of us and dragging down strong Northely winds around then corresponding with cold uppers. Gonzo summoned it up I think the best :
    usually the cold is always 10 days away and this 10 days away is usually chased for 3 months till we end up in mid March!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Glad to see your optimistic outlook hasnt changed over the years. :cool:

Youre right :pac:

If im negative I cant be dissappointed

Still though Ive a feeling we will have widespread snowfall sometime between now and Xmas due to

1. Rapid cooling of Arctic this month even though its way behind schedule
    2. Lack of strong winds
    3. MTs predictions
    4. Freezing conditions over Russia Siberia and many parts of Eastern Europe
    5. High trying to form over Greenland later in month
    6. Temperatures way less than previous years Novembers bar "that one"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A very decent dumping in Glasgow tonight, will probably be all gone by lunchtime tomorrow but impressive to get a couple of inches in early November all the same.

IMG_20161108_233043999_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233055116_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233112369_1.jpg

IMG_20161108_233117767_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thats amazing, we didn't even get that much here in 2010 in West Clare!

Glasgow airport reporting rain for the past while, few transitions to snow though. Temp is only 1c there, so add a few meters to the elevation and its easily snow I suppose.

Manchester is reporting sleet, and Leeds Bradford airport snow, so I'd expect a fair bucket in those areas too by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A very decent dumping in Glasgow tonight, will probably be all gone by lunchtime tomorrow but impressive to get a couple of inches in early November all the same.

Disappeared here by late morning

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

My pal in Sweden just posted photos of very deep snow last night, I'll try and post photo here shortly not sure how to from smartphone :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My pal in Sweden just posted photos of very deep snow last night, I'll try and post photo here shortly not sure how to from smartphone :)

:D
    https://twitter.com/AdmiralBulldog/status/796019492065255424

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I'm in Stockholm this week. It's epic. Snow cannons the locals call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I'm dying for snow.. keep the pics coming!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saturday, 5th November. 15cm of snow and building (Western Norway)

foto97206.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Same here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The front page of a daily Swedish newspaper today

Cw4VKvNWIAAXaTV.jpg
    When Stockholm sank in snow

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Unfortunately this week's trip to Stockholm was for work, with a very busy schedule, and I left yesterday afternoon so I couldn't go wandering around to take snaps of the snow.

I did manage a few crappy snaps though from the train - these shots of remote platforms at the central station should give an idea of the snow accumulation as they weren't walked on.

There was about 5cm when I arrived monday night, a few more cm fell over tuesday - it was constantly falling in small amounts - and then on Wednesday night they had an unexpected large dumping and it snowed all day on Wednesday. It was hard work getting around on Wednesday morning but they make a big effort to carve single lanes cars on busier roads, and people trampled down narrow paths through the 15 inches or so of lying snow.

I was lucky to get out of there last night, a whole bunch of flights were cancelled in the morning and early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did it snow in Lucan last night?

Did it snow in Lucan last night?

I very much doubt it, temps didn't seem low enough nor did there seem to be any precipitation around. How come you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The first major snowfall of the Winter will arrive in the next 5 to 8 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    The first major snowfall of the Winter will arrive in the next 5 to 8 days

maybe on high ground in the north and north-west but temps of 4-7C on low levels will make most showers of rain/hail or sleet in the north and west. Very little if anything in the east and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

16111718_1412.gif could be the first event this coming thurs :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Uppers going down to around -3C towards night, could be some white mountain tops next morning, probably not cold enough for snow proper to fall , wintry mix possibly with hail showers IMO.

qcYBwPE.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gugsy wrote: »
    16111718_1412.gif could be the first event this coming thurs :D

Event?

Event?

Snow event, which fits in with the thread title.

I'm sceptical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Uppers going down to around -3C towards night, could be some white mountain tops next morning, probably not cold enough for snow proper to fall , wintry mix possibly with hail showers IMO.

qcYBwPE.png

With temps around 6-11 tonight even the mountains wont see any wintry showers.

Definitely wont snow tonight at 14.1C here near Tralee :)

That chart is for Thurs night.

Should drop below freezing in many areas early Fri morning away from Atlantic coasts, a fresh wind keeping temps probably just over freeing on windward coasts, brrrrr.... makes me cold thinking about it

ZQYnU10.gif

RznUEbl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Snow??? I came home from a run last night and didn't cool down till an hour later. Running in a t-**** on a November night?? Somethings not right here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Those uppers are too low. Snow on high hills only I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd say we'll definitely see some mountain top snow this weekend. Charts are looking very stormy and cold for Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

This weekend is suddenly looking that little bit more interesting now!

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    This weekend is suddenly looking that little bit more interesting now!

Still looks like a non event for most of the country next weekend, it will be cold but for me the only game in town worth getting excited over is an easterly sourced freezer.

From next Tuesday we could see a north-easterly, so maybe some snow on high ground in Leinster. Northern Ireland for sure is likely to see some wintryness from Thursday onwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement