Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Snowfall of the Winter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

17 degrees on Nov 14th is an event of sorts cold rain on high mountains in November kinda isn't really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

17 degrees on Nov 14th is an event of sorts cold rain on high mountains in November kinda isn't really.

Oh, okay everyone just calm down, close the thread, we shouldn't get excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

18 degrees at Valentia early November 2010 if my memory serves me right...Just saying:)

dexter647 wrote: »
    18 degrees at Valentia early November 2010 if my memory serves me right...Just saying:)

Was it not up to 19c at the beginning at last November? Or is my mind deceiving me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was it not up to 19c at the beginning at last November? Or is my mind deceiving me?

Could very well have been but can't remember...Not unusual in autumn with a southwesterly originating from the tropics....Be nicer in the summer though:pac:

• Advertisement

dexter647 wrote: »
    Could very well have been but can't remember...Not unusual in autumn with a southwesterly originating from the tropics....Be nicer in the summer though:pac:

Even the 16c here yesterday was a bit unpleasant, hard to dress for that weather this time of year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The hills of East Clare should go pale this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Snow on hills quite likely from Thursday to about Monday, the low passing near the south coast on the weekend (Saturday night current timing) could bring several cms to elevations above 300m (southeast higher ground) with melting snow possible lower down by Sunday morning. The best chance for snow Thursday and Friday will be on higher slopes in northwest. Mixed showers at lower elevations, hail could be significant, snow is possible but won't stick very long (near sea level that is).

Then it turns a bit milder again with rain back to summit levels for a day or two next week, slightly colder after that.

December looks promising in terms of global patterns and there may be some episodes of wintry weather unlike last December which was one of the mildest on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Your upsetting the snow bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

<selective quote alert>

MT: "This precipitation may cut off north of Dublin to Clare"

Yoikes!!!!

PS I think I know what he meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I do believe some of us will be seeing flakes this weekend

2vvtizn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Seems like tomorrow night has the best potential with numerous troughs moving down across the country in a cold NW airflow. Hail, sleet , dare I even say some isolated
    thundersnow!?:cool:

401699.gif

The usual suspects in a NW flow are in which the best chances. The likes of Donegal, Cavan, Leitrim, Sligo ( mountainy man we'll be waiting for your posts! ) , Roscommon. Further south parts of Tip and Limerick are in with a shot also. Along the east then parts of the Wicklow mountains should get a dusting from any shower that survives the travel down.
    401692.gif

Forcast DPs are good but still would need some heavy showers to make anything stick away from high ground.
    401693.gif

401694.gif

Some late night weather watching to come guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Showers of rain and snow forecast at knock airport, late tonight and tomorrow morning.

Showers of rain and snow forecast at knock airport, late tonight and tomorrow morning.

Forecast says RASN, is that not Rain-Snow which is basically sleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Snow only in the heavier showers I'd imagine, sleety mix otherwise. Anyway something interesting finally on the weather front :)

Snow only in the heavier showers I'd imagine, sleety mix otherwise. Anyway something interesting finally on the weather front :)

Exactly!

Even though its bitter cold, I missed the graupel showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Don't know why they're saying that, the cold air doesn't arrive until midday tomorrow.

They have done it, Met Eireann have the S word in their forecast!

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Tomorrow, Thursday will be cold, windy and showery. Many showers heavy and some prolonged, with hail and thunder likely. Some will turn to sleet in western and northern areas too, with possibly a dusting of snow on mountains there. Top afternoon temperatures just 4 to 9 C., in fresh to strong southwest to westerly wind

Knock airport forecasting showers of snow from 12pm to 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Knock airport forecasting showers of snow from 12pm to 6pm.

..... And hopefully that Sparks the official snowmagedden/sh1te talk thread of 2016/17. Always great craic in them threads. Lamppost watching, graupel, IOM shield, will it snow in my garden at 6:23pm etc etc... :D

Although I'm making my first ever trip to Donegal next week with the missus and a 10 month old so I'm not hoping for any white stuff then.

• Advertisement

The 11pm TAF has changed a little, now its light snow showers between 6pm and midnight, but with a chance of Thunderstorm graupel before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Knock'll be froshtbet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jimbis wrote: »
    ..... And hopefully that Sparks the official snowmagedden/sh1te talk thread of 2016/17. Always great craic in them threads. Lamppost watching, graupel, IOM shield, will [b[it snow in my garden at 6:23pm [/b]etc etc... :D

Although I'm making my first ever trip to Donegal next week with the missus and a 10 month old so I'm not hoping for any white stuff then.

No.. it will be 6:24:D

Enjoy Donegal. Hope it doesn't rain as normal for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Heavy rain has turned to snow here in Clara, Offaly at 0830hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ceirseach

Snowing in Athlone 08.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Snowing in Roscommon from 8.30am

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,295 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Torrential rain here in Mayo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Passed through Tullamore on train half an hour ago and it was snowing.
    Snow/sleet in Athlone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Snowing in Edenderry for the last 10 mins and still going. Shame it was lashing rain before hand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mullingar reporting Light Sleet, and, 1c at 0900

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement