Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Snowfall of the Winter

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very intense snow for about 5 minutes, it stopped now.

took these photos during it.

I guess this could be called the first snowfall of 2016!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Hubby just took this photo at home, near Enfield

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light snow reported at Casement at 1000.

This thread is probably now done...we have our answer! :)

Still snowing here in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Stopped snowing in Clondalkin. Might have to take a trip up to the Hell Fire...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back to light snow again, currently 0C at the station beside me in Dunsany.

• Advertisement

One more pic from near Enfield. Spot the dog! It's the first snowfall of the winter so I guess the photos are apt ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

just rain showers in Kilkenny cc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Light snow reported at Casement at 1000.

This thread is probably now done...we have our answer! :)

Still snowing here in Dublin 16.

Light snow? was chucking it down at 10 am.I am in Baldonnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Light snow? was chucking it down at 10 am.I am in Baldonnell.

I'm not too far from there either and it was deffo chucking it down at 10am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Just 11 am and 6 new pages on here todaythat can only mean one thing folks are getting snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Just 11 am and 6 new pages on here todaythat can only mean one thing folks are getting snow

No doubt today's event will be hallowed by some as being on par with those of '82, '09, '10 etc etc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Cork City activated the Snow Shield (cleverly disguised as xmas lights)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lots of snow reports around Louth. Nothing in drogheda yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lots of snow reports around Louth. Nothing in drogheda yet

Whereabouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

We're having a bit of snow here tonight West Waterford. Very sleety at our house, approx 190 m asl, but the 400m or so "mountain" at the back is nicely white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

White out this morning on the grass and hedges. About two inches of snow of the car. This is 7am outside Whitechurch in Cork. Started sleeting as a drove off, but temps were already 2 degrees and everything was melting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

A bit of hail and snow on ground "even at lower levels" in Sligeach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

So who got closest with their prediction??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

pauldry wrote: »
    A bit of hail and snow on ground "even at lower levels" in Sligeach

Alot of hail lying around town and the estates at 7am this morning. All the surrounding hills are white still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The Great Sugarloaf ,co.wicklow ( I think you could call that a hill) on the 19th of November.

Not sure who got the first.
    But this looks to be true tomorrow.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It may be difficult to determine a winner since there were a few minor snowfall events reported here before this more widespread one.

But I came quite close to the date of this event saying around 20 Nov back around middle of October. I was probably expecting the first snowfall event to be more of a northeasterly flow which looks like happening right around that date, so feeling good about the research model which was my source for this guess.

However, I did not comb through the thread, somebody else may have had a guess closer to 17 Nov, but as I say there were some reports made of snow here back in early November so some will feel that they were closest for those.

When I used this same question in the monthly contest I specified that the snow would have to appear in an hourly report at a regular met.ie station to get past this problem of snow creeping down from summits to elevations where many people live and will report it.

It could also be argued that some future event will be the first real snowfall in terms of measurable amounts at those stations persisting for some length of time, or disruption to travel which was probably not really the case yesterday or today except in a few isolated instances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Had a few sleet showers here in Tipperary yesterday there was a nice covering of snow on the Silvermines mountains this morning. My first snow sighting of the winter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When I used this same question in the monthly contest I specified that the snow would have to appear in an hourly report at a regular met.ie station to get past this problem of snow creeping down from summits to elevations where many people live and will report it.

Light Snow was reported at Casement yesterday morning at 0800 (as opposed to some other met.ie stations reporting Rain/Snow). First snow report (proper) I have seen from a met.ie station this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Brother inlaw told me it was snowing in Dublin yesterday morning. Don't know how long it lasted or if it even lodged as he was only passing tnrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Taken at m3 services yesterday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Blob of precip over Meath, I assume it falling as rain as no reports on here? About to hit Greater Dublin. 1.8C here

Blob of precip over Meath, I assume it falling as rain as no reports on here? About to hit Greater Dublin. 1.8C here

Was around 2° here during that shower in north Kildare, near Enfield. Just rain with a few wet snow flakes mixed in, at a little under 100m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Has anyone taken a trip into the Dublin or Wicklow mountains to see any snow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Driving down the Carlow/Laois hills this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Slieve Mish mountains near Tralee got a good coating last night and has lasted all day in the cool air, currently 5.2C, pic taken a few minutes ago.

9Va2xAN.jpg?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement