Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference between Citroen Berlingo 75hp and 90hp

• 07-10-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭

I know the bodys are the same on the vans but is there really much of a difference in the hp. I'll mainly be using it as a car and pulling the trailer the odd time. Would you notice the difference in the engine that much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Reggie. wrote: »
    I know the bodys are the same on the vans but is there really much of a difference in the hp. I'll mainly be using it as a car and pulling the trailer the odd time. Would you notice the difference in the engine that much?

Yep. The 75 is OK but not much go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Isn't the suspension heavier, I thought they were rated 600 & 800 kgs load capacity ?? Or maybe that's seperate to the bhp ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

About 15bhp i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Isn't the suspension heavier, I thought they were rated 600 & 800 kgs load capacity ?? Or maybe that's seperate to the bhp ??

I think the 800kg is the long wheelbase version

Having owned a 90hp ctdi in the past I can imagine the misery a 75hp ctdi would inflict on your soul

• Advertisement

Having owned a 90hp ctdi in the past I can imagine the misery a 75hp ctdi would inflict on your soul

Explain?

Explain?

The 90hp was seriously under powered at the best of times,

The 90hp was seriously under powered at the best of times,

Ok. What were you using it for that you found it underpowered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Ok. What were you using it for that you found it underpowered?

Driving I guess

Jesus. wrote: »
    Driving I guess

Last van I had was a kubistar which was only 68hp which has plenty of poke and pulling power so I'm asking why the citroen is so bad at 75hp considering its only about 100kg heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Wouldn't pull you out of bed....

Wouldn't pull you out of bed....

Hard to understand but drove a 75hp kangoo this morning and it seems twice the van on speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had a Berlin go for work for a week....had to floor it to go anywhere....was given a caddy for the day...was like night and day in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Had a Berlin go for work for a week....had to floor it to go anywhere....was given a caddy for the day...was like night and day in power.

Was this caddy a 2.0tdi 140bhp? Because of course its going to be night and day compared to a berlingo be it the 75/90/110bhp. The difference in price is night and day too

Last van I had was a kubistar which was only 68hp which has plenty of poke and pulling power so I'm asking why the citroen is so bad at 75hp considering its only about 100kg heavier.

Everything's subjective but in this day & age I'm not sure you'd find anyone who'd consider a van with 68hp as having plenty of poke and pulling power (unless you were hurtling off a cliff).

Everything's subjective but in this day & age I'm not sure you'd find anyone who'd consider a van with 68hp as having plenty of poke and pulling power (unless you were hurtling off a cliff).

Well she was unless it was misbadged

Probly was 168bhp and the "1" was ripped off by some scrote

Well she was unless it was misbadged

You seem to be happy with it so just buy it,
    Why you defending it here while asking for opinions?

You seem to be happy with it so just buy it,
    Why you defending it here while asking for opinions?

Defending which?

Reggie come on, stop the foolin'. You had a van with 68bhp and thought it was grand for power. The 75 will be very similar as you said so yourself. Ergo you're happy with that level of power so why d'you keep asking us about it!

• Advertisement

Reggie come on, stop the foolin'. You had a van with 68bhp and thought it was grand for power. The 75 will be very similar as you said so yourself. Ergo you're happy with that level of power so why d'you keep asking us about it!

I was until yourself and another poster to tell me it's a waste of time to get that model. To which I ask why the reason it's so bad. Is it the type of engine or what. You dont seem to be able to back any of your statements with any info or facts only that your right and that's it.

There must be a reason it's so poor compared to other makes which seem to have more torque or whatever.

Just looking to get the best info I can because so far I only seem to be getting smart remarks from yourself and other posters in this forum. I thought the members of this forum might have been more helpful tbh.

If no one is willing to help me out or give me useful infomation I'm sorry to have wasted your time. Regards

I drove a 75 bhp one before.
    It was the drive of my life.
    Highly recommended.

As long as its a euro 4 emission 75bhp or 90bhp hdi it won't have a dpf fitted which would be a big plus if the van will be used for tippin about. The 110bhp variant has a dpf and the euro 5 75/90 have it too and the new euro 6 hdi 100 has an even more complex system so I'd recommend steering clear of these. I think all vans went euro 5 compliant after the 1st of January 2011 but I'm not 100% sure on this if so then you'd be better off going for an 08-10 van.

The 1.6hdi needs to be serviced religiously and as long as it is it's generally a reliable engine. PSA overestimated the amount of time between services and many now agree that a service every 10,000km is best practice or shortly thereafter, the 15,000 - 20,000km service interval was ludicrous in my opinion and led to many reliability issues.

Personally I'd go for the 90bhp but if ya come across a clean well serviced 75 that's well priced it'd be worth a look its just a detuned 90bhp there's no mechanical difference. Both are fine on the road and are grand for what they are.

The vans deliver what torque they have nice and early and can tow a handy sized trailer with ease and with the way towing regs have gone you'll be towing feck all of a weight anyways.

Vans with a dpf have FAP in their vin number

As long as its a euro 4 emission 75bhp or 90bhp hdi it won't have a dpf fitted which would be a big plus if the van will be used for tippin about. The 110bhp variant has a dpf and the euro 5 75/90 have it too and the new euro 6 hdi 100 has an even more complex system so I'd recommend steering clear of these. I think all vans went euro 5 compliant after the 1st of January 2011 but I'm not 100% sure on this if so then you'd be better off going for an 08-10 van.

The 1.6hdi needs to be serviced religiously and as long as it is it's generally a reliable engine. PSA overestimated the amount of time between services and many now agree that a service every 10,000km is best practice or shortly thereafter, the 15,000 - 20,000km service interval was ludicrous in my opinion and led to many reliability issues.

Personally I'd go for the 90bhp but if ya come across a clean well serviced 75 that's well priced it'd be worth a look its just a detuned 90bhp there's no mechanical difference. Both are fine on the road and are grand for what they are.

The vans deliver what torque they have nice and early and can tow a handy sized trailer with ease and with the way towing regs have gone you'll be towing feck all of a weight anyways.

Vans with a dpf have FAP in their vin number

Thank you select. That's what I was looking for.
    The 75hp engines can hardly be refuned to 90hp if the case arose?

Would you consider the dci engines better than the hpi ones or are they much the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the 1.5 dci engine is much much more robust and less temperamental than the 1.6 HDI

Ref power, the bhp figure doesn't tell the whole story. An SDI Caddy is 68hp too and is beyond slow. 68hp in a Kangoo is much quicker.
    The Berlingo 75hp will be roughly the same experience as the Kangoo though. Bearable but needs to be kept spinning.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think the 1.5 dci engine is much much more robust and less temperamental than the 1.6 HDI

Ok. I remember I used to service my out kubistar every 6000 miles as the mechanic insisted on it. I thought it was a short enough window but to be fair she never missed a beat since 07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The chances of buying a van where the previous owner did this are small!

Are you buying new or used this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie, I think the problem is relative perception.

I'm recent years most people have come accustomed to driving cars with ~100+ bhp and 140+ isn't at all unusual.

Then they sit in a 75bhp van and think it's awful to drive and must be an awful vehicle because it doesn't drive like their 140bhp car. Driven for what it is these are good reliable vans with good fuel economy.

75bhp van will be very similar to your old beast, probably more refined because it's newer, and you'll have the option of the 3 seater which is mighty handy to have.

I was until yourself and another poster to tell me it's a waste of time to get that model. To which I ask why the reason it's so bad. Is it the type of engine or what. You dont seem to be able to back any of your statements with any info or facts only that your right and that's it.

Didn't say I was right Reggie. I just said with that kind of power it would be a dog to drive (for most people anyway). For you its evidently fine. And that's cool. I was just talking power wise. The rest have answered your other queries. Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Reggie, I think the problem is relative perception.

I'm recent years most people have come accustomed to driving cars with ~100+ bhp and 140+ isn't at all unusual.

Then they sit in a 75bhp van and think it's awful to drive and must be an awful vehicle because it doesn't drive like their 140bhp car. Driven for what it is these are good reliable vans with good fuel economy.

75bhp van will be very similar to your old beast, probably more refined because it's newer, and you'll have the option of the 3 seater which is mighty handy to have.

Cheers Brian. I think that's where I was getting muddled up

Thank you select. That's what I was looking for.
    The 75hp engines can hardly be refuned to 90hp if the case arose?

Would you consider the dci engines better than the hpi ones or are they much the same?

Colm has pretty much covered it,
    From what I've heard Renault have improved the 1.5dci a lot and have made revisions to the injection system which gave some bother. Like the hdi it needs to be well serviced and that's the crux of the matter if you can get a well minded example of either it should be alright but that's easier said than done.

Toyota's 1.4d4d leads the reliability front for small diesels but then your limited to the Auris or an older corolla e12 van. I remember colm linking a pic of a yaris verso van that was sold on the continent and it's definitely something which would have sold well here but that's neither here nor there.

Personally I'd go for an older van but they won't have the comfort levels of newer ones unless they're a carvan.

The 75 can be remapped to 90 or a bit more but again it's shuffling

Colm has pretty much covered it,
    From what I've heard Renault have improved the 1.5dci a lot and have made revisions to the injection system which gave some bother. Like the hdi it needs to be well serviced and that's the crux of the matter if you can get a well minded example of either it should be alright but that's easier said than done.

Toyota's 1.4d4d leads the reliability front for small diesels but then your limited to the Auris or an older corolla e12 van. I remember colm linking a pic of a yaris verso van that was sold on the continent and it's definitely something which would have sold well here but that's neither here nor there.

Personally I'd go for an older van but they won't have the comfort levels of newer ones unless they're a carvan.

The 75 can be remapped to 90 or a bit more but again it's shuffling

Cheers again select. The can I am looking at is a 152 from a main dealer with 15k km in it. It has every option like reversing senders, tow bar and air con and it is immaculate. Only sticking point was that it was the 75hp one.
    Was told I could have it for a day to test it out so I suppose that would be the best course of action.

Cheers again select. The can I am looking at is a 152 from a main dealer with 15k km in it. It has every option like reversing senders, tow bar and air con and it is immaculate. Only sticking point was that it was the 75hp one.
    Was told I could have it for a day to test it out so I suppose that would be the best course of action.

Ya that'd be the best course of action so. For knocking about they're grand if it's 152 it'll probably have dpf which is an additive type system like adblue think it needs topping up every 30000km. A 152 with 15000km is basically new have the dealer service it if ya buy it and keep it well serviced thereafter and ya should be grand. A good long drive once a week and the dpf should be grand too.
    Best of luck with whatever ya buy anyways

Ya that'd be the best course of action so. For knocking about they're grand if it's 152 it'll probably have dpf which is an additive type system like adblue think it needs topping up every 30000km. A 152 with 15000km is basically new have the dealer service it if ya buy it and keep it well serviced thereafter and ya should be grand. A good long drive once a week and the dpf should be grand too.
    Best of luck with whatever ya buy anyways

Yeah will leave it to the dealer to service. I have a daily commute of 60 miles and a bit of that is motorway so no bother with the dpf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It's actually on bigger roads I found it most frustrating.

Round small roads and city in found it perky enough.

Hit a dualler or motorway and your screwing it. Revs were high and economy wasn't great.

If ya stay round the 90kph fine mpg. 120-130 kph and economy shot down.

For reference I was coming from a 85hp transit to a 75 berlingo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement