Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help: Fox

• 07-10-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

I have a fox that I think has been living in the bushes that surround my garden for the last few months. Not really a big deal and I didn't have problem with him for ages, but he has started causing problems.

He has crewed countless kids toys, 3 pairs of shoes(one pair cost €65) and the latest thing is the safety net on the trampoline. He is always on the trampoline and I'm afraid he'll put a hole in it an ruin it. He also poos all over the garden and despite that I pick it up sometimes I miss a bit and the kids come in with it on their feet or toys. I have 3 kids under 6.

The youngest guy 2, came in crying yesterday that the fox was chasing him and although I know he wasn't chasing the child, he was running through garden in the middle of the day.

How can I get rid of him. DSPCA don't want to know unless he's injured.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Well for a start why are you leaving €65 runners lying around the garden? Also kids toys I store at night as slugs, rodents etc could be all over them. Toys only get taken out when kids are actually playing with them.

Can you borrow a dog preferably a terrier or hound type to chase him out of the garden? Also make sure there is no food source from either kids or bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do you feed him/her?

If he's building a den it's going to be very hard to get rid, and I think you need to get rid asap before he could get aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Make some sacrifices/compromises in order to coexist with the animals that live around you.

Yes some aspects of it are unpleasant but the fox has every right to be there. Every time a household tries to push wild animals out of their land, the animals territory gets smaller. Humans are constantly encroaching on wild animals habitats and we always expect them to just go away.

Can you put one of those safety net things on the trampoline? So he can't get on it. Keep the kids toys packed away in one of those plastic trunk things at night? Keep your shoes inside. As for the poo, I suppose picking it up is the only option. Not pleasant, but it's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Make some sacrifices/compromises in order to coexist with the animals that live around you.

Yes some aspects of it are unpleasant but the fox has every right to be there. Every time a household tries to push wild animals out of their land, the animals territory gets smaller. Humans are constantly encroaching on wild animals habitats and we always expect them to just go away.

Can you put one of those safety net things on the trampoline? So he can't get on it. Keep the kids toys packed away in one of those plastic trunk things at night? Keep your shoes inside. As for the poo, I suppose picking it up is the only option. Not pleasant, but it's life.

Love is not Divine is in case. I'm sorry but no way would I want a fox ****ting all over my garden. The OP has kids playing there. However I would not worry about him getting aggressive. He will more then likely run if confronted. Any way of borrowing a trap so he can be released somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

This is what I was trying to do, as he has been with us for some months. He chewed the net on the trampoline. The toys he's damaging are all outdoor big toys, that can't be stored. The small toys are stored away.

The shoes was an oversight, they shouldn't have been left outside. But kids take them off getting on trampoline and sometimes they don't get brought in. We run a busy house and sometimes things get left where they shouldn't.

We are not feeding him and have stopped eating outside or giving the children any food outside. No bins or anything like that around, so no food sources.

This morning he was up walking around the decking and even though I banged the window at him he didn't seem to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mod note
    Folks, just be aware, before this thread goes there, that discussion of "vermin control" is not permitted in this forum.
    OP, if it's a thing that you'd rather the fox was removed, I'll move this thread to a more appropriate forum.
    However, if you are only entertaining suggestions to diminish the problem without direct action aimed at the fox, I'll leave the thread here... On the understanding that "vermin control" (ie killing/trapping) the fox is not up for discussion.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Isn't (male) wee supposed to deter them? You can use your imagination there OP lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OP, are you in an urban or rural area? If rural, you could ask a local farmer to do the needful. Foxes are vermin and should be treated accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Maybe there's some sort of spray you could try on the toys and trampoline. There's a section at the bottom of this article about fox deterrents etc http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/fox-issues.html

OP, are you in an urban or rural area? If rural, you could ask a local farmer to do the needful. Foxes are vermin and should be treated accordingly.

Urban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

Good man Kristopherus. You clearly didn't read post #7 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Immy wrote: »
    Urban

Is this an option? http://www.totalpestcontrol.ie/pest-control

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Kristopherus, your complete disregard for my in-thread warning is duly noted. Lucky for you I had moved the thread to the Hunting forum just as you posted.

Thread moved from Animals + Pets at the op's request. Please take time to familiarise yourself with the different charter that now applies.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This thread is now in the hunting forum.

To those that have posted while it was in the A&PI forum please be aware that the hunting forum allow the discussion of trapping and hunting which will include details on possibly putting the animal down.

If this offends you i'd suggest you unsubscribe from the thread.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

To the OP.

Foxes are not pets. I'm not lecturing, just making a general note. People have a "Disney" image of foxes and they seem cute and cuddly until they're not. They can be aggressive, territorial, and unpredictable. They carry various diseases and their scat is not something you want around especially as it can cause toxocariasis in kids.

Due to your location in an urban area dispatch with a firearm will not be possible. However live trapping is an option.

We have many members on here that trap animals. They may post or contact you with a view to helping you. They can trap the animal and then take it away. If you post your general location, county or even area, (but NOT your address) someone might be able to help you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    To the OP.

Foxes are not pets. I'm not lecturing, just making a general note. People have a "Disney" image of foxes and they seem cute and cuddly until they're not. They can be aggressive, territorial, and unpredictable. They carry various diseases and their scat is not something you want around especially as it can cause toxocariasis in kids.

Due to your location in an urban area dispatch with a firearm will not be possible. However live trapping is an option.

We have many members on here that trap animals. They may post or contact you with a view to helping you. They can trap the animal and then take it away. If you post your general location, county or even area, (but NOT your address) someone might be able to help you.

That would be great, Dublin 6w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

rubbish. Trap it and release in the appropriate wild environment. A large cat trap will do. no need to shoot or kill.

rubbish. Trap it and release ................... no need to shoot or kill.

Exactly which part do you find as "rubbish"?
    Cass wrote: »

We have many members on here that trap animals. They may post or contact you with a view to helping you. They can trap the animal and then take it away. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

rubbish. Trap it and release in the appropriate wild environment. A large cat trap will do. no need to shoot or kill.

Removing it to another area is only moving the problem from one area to another. No landowner in my area would allow or appreciate anyone releasing foxes onto their land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Removing it to another area is only moving the problem from one area to another. No landowner in my area would allow or appreciate anyone releasing foxes onto their land.

Release it on my land if you like, I'll give it a nice warm welcome and make sure it gets up to date with its lead injections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

I think its illegal to trap and relocate a wild animal.....I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Use a snare to catch it and the legal means to kill it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

223vmax wrote: »
    I think its illegal to trap and relocate a wild animal.....I'm open to correction though.

Illegal to re-release non native animals like grey squirrel, and mink, but ok to release anything else I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Out of site out of mind. The local family of foxes will take him in to their territory of course no problem....

Advertisement