Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will discussing health issues at interview prevent me getting job

Options
  • 07-10-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I had an interview yesterday that went extremely well. As part of the interview I had to fill in a number of forms, and one was in relation to health issues. I had to answer yes to more than half of them. It said on the top of the form that it wouldn't be used against you in relation to whether or not they employed you, but I'm really worried that it will have an impact. I wouldn't hire me based on it. Regardless of the discrimination act (mentioned on the form as to why the information won't be used against you), is it likely to impact on there decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on the issues and the job - we really cannot tell from this distance.

If they're organised enough to have a detailed form like that, it may well be that some health issues would prevent you from doing the job. Remember the disability laws say that they have to make reasonable accommodation, not to ignore capacity issues totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depends on the issues and the job - we really cannot tell from this distance.

If they're organised enough to have a detailed form like that, it may well be that some health issues would prevent you from doing the job. Remember the disability laws say that they have to make reasonable accommodation, not to ignore capacity issues totally.

You need to have a recognised disability to utilise the protection of those laws. I agree they obviously have some idea of specific illness that they would like to avoid or that would conflict with the job e.g. Back issues for someone doing manual handling all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It can be hard to tell. Sometimes these documents are purely for statistical purposes; so HR departments can churn out reports about their hiring practices.

They may also be for insurance purposes; a boilerplate set of information that insurers require them to collect before extending an offer.

It might be an internal insurance thing; so if someone six months in starts claiming time off for a long-standing illness, the employer can review this document and kick the person out for not disclosing it sooner.

Or they may actually be used for filtering unsuitable candidates.

Basically, you never know, but you're probably better off being honest anyway if you have health issues that they will become aware of sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

In our company, a similar form is used, but it is completed as part of the medical and only the doctor sees the information provided. The doctor only communicates the elements of this assessment that impact on the candidates ability to do the job.

Advertisement