Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct Failed 3 times on emissions.

• 07-10-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Boards,

I recently did my thirds attempt at NCT today trying to pass my 1.2 Vw Polo 2006.
    I failed first time and emissions were at

Low Idle
    Co 0.44% Vol
    HC 29pmm

High idle
    Lambda: 0.99
    Co 0.52 vol%
    HC 15 pmm

I then went into car parts accessories and they advised i tried petrol engine cleaner.
    Low idle
    Co 0.63 vol%
    HC 35 ppm

High idle
    Lambda 0.99
    Co 0.55%
    HC 15ppm

After reading loads online about people flying through nct with dipetain i tried using that driving to NCT in high revs
    Low Idle
    CO 0.88%
    HC 39 ppm

High Idle
    Lambda 1.00
    Co 0.51%
    HC 22pm

I dont know what to do at this stage can someone please point me in the right direction as do i need a new catylic converter ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

It is possible the cat has failed, but the reason it has would need to be identified first.
    How much oil does the engine burn between services?
    How does the car perform? Does it misfire, or do you experience any power loss?
    Any smoke from the exhaust?
    Have you checked the fuel trim figures on the car, i.e. is a running fault causing an overly rich fuel/air mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

DIPETANE

You're not adding enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

LordSutch wrote:
    DIPETANE

Not much use in the OP's petrol car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dipetane can be used in both but I'd say to have a mech look at it. A mech that has an emissions tester.
    There is one I know in Galway if you're close by OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Not much use in the OP's petrol car...

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 aosaigh

Mine failed on emissions. The oxygen sensor needed replacing. Was expensive enough (~€200).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Boot the arse off the car on the way to the NCT. Drive in third gear at high revs and have it hot when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ronan97

Thanks for all the replys. Drove the bollocks off it all the way to nct and atill no avail figures went up.... cant afford to fail it again. Should i bring it into calbro galway and let them away eith it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Just wondering what's the air filter like and when was it last serviced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Bring it to capable garage and have a proper diagnostic done, you have already wasted enough of your time and money.

First suspect would be the cat but other things need to be looked at and ruled out first, anything else is just guessing and that costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Get a compression test done first. These engines are prone to valves burning and reducing the compression meaning the fuel mixture won't burn fully.

It could also be the cat. But get a compression test done first.

Advertisement