Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loss of employers bank lodgement

Options
  • 07-10-2016 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Message now deleted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Straight up to the boss and tell them. Have a friend or colleague with them when they bring it to their attention.

If your friend is as honest as you say the boss will know they are not lying but they still might be mad.

In years to come they will look back asking themselve why they didnt tell sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First things first, they need to tell the employer. The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that the employer will notice the money missing and assume your friend has stolen it.

It is the very first thing they should have done. Misplacing the money is their error, but their employer's problem. They do not have an obligation to repay the money, as it was lost in the course of their duties.

Engage a solicitor to ensure they get the best advice, and then notify the employer of what happened. They could lose their job. But that's better than being charged with theft. Or having their mental health suffer because they're hiding this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They don't really have any obligation to pay the money back.

The employer would need to prove gross negligence on the part of the employee and spend years chasing a civil case in court. They wouldn't bother for the sake of 8 grand.

The employer would need to prove theft in order to prosecute. Unless they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the money was stolen and not lost, they won't prosecute.

But they should get a solicitor's advice before going to the employer, so they can be sure on their rights and obligations.

That's really all there is to it;

1. Talk to a solicitor
    2. Stop repaying the lost money
    3. Come clean with the employer
    4. Deal with whatever happens after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ok guys but the **** is going to hit the fan here now, going to the boss and saying you lost €8k six weeks ago and tried to hide that fact rather than come clean.
    There's gross misconduct straight off and an instant dismissal would be no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agreed. But the sh*t needs to hit the fan.

I don't for one minute believe that the employer hasn't already noticed that the 8k is missing. There is most likely some sort of investigation started already.

The only real option for the OP's "friend" is to come clean, ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Agreed. But the sh*t needs to hit the fan.

I don't for one minute believe that the employer hasn't already noticed that the 8k is missing. There is most likely some sort of investigation started already.

The only real option for the OP's "friend" is to come clean, ASAP.

Agreed..
    The focus here needs to be coming clean and trying to avoid a prosecution, the fact that this was hidden for sooo long will raise suspicions about theft, I presume it hasnt been reported to the Guards??

Go to the employer before its too late, every day increases the risk of a knock on the door by the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if you think they're at risk of harming themselves, read here for info: http://www.yourmentalhealth.ie/mind-yourself/concerned/worried-about-someone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

100% be straight up.

Yes there will be annoyance by the bosses, but at the same time they are putting the employee at risk by having them do large lodgements.

The company will also be insured for 5k.

Once she's genuine, she'll have nothing to worry about.

Its also not a garda matter so they won't be involved or interested unless the employer can show criminal issue.

I reckon she'll be surprised at how its dealt with.

I think that is the best thing. They are so good to help everyone else, I just feel they deserve the same help back. I have told them (don't know if I am right or not) that they will probably lose their job, and have to pay the money back, but they are so worried that they haven' t the money to pay back, that the employer will prosecute. I am not sure on the legalities of it all, which is why I said they be best to talk to a solicitor friend before they talk to the employer. Please help, as I really don't know much about this sort of thing.
    If they are there over a year, proper disciplinary procedure must take place before job is lost and I simply cannot see how it could happen unless lodging money is in his/her job description and the company gives him/ her the time and procedures to do the lodgement and that she did not follow those rules.

But if it was an adhoc arrangement and no set procedures were in place, then it would be very difficult to dismiss the person as the company has fault too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Walter2016 wrote:
    The company will also be insured for 5k.

No they won't. Only covered for loss by theft. Not unexplained shortage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm astonished that it's been 6 weeks and the employer hasn't said anything yet.

If our deposit didn't come into the bank account, i'd notice it 2 days later. 6 weeks? :rolleyes:

I don't think we're getting the whole truth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

seamus wrote: »
    It is the very first thing they should have done. Misplacing the money is their error, but their employer's problem. They do not have an obligation to repay the money, as it was lost in the course of their duties.

That's terrible advice to give.

By that logic it would be fine to just lob the money in the air and say "sod it, i'm on the clock boyeeee"
    Besides, lost in the course of their duties, doesn't really cover a tea-break with the parents or picking up hitchhikers....I'd imagine it means going straight to and from the bank.

I don't buy that the staff isn't responsible for this kind of thing.
    If staff can be docked for damaging goods (and they can be), then this is no different.

peteb2 wrote: »
    No they won't. Only covered for loss by theft. Not unexplained shortage.

I stand corrected - yes, it would need to have been stolen in transit rather than lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Need to strip back the whole senario here. Their personal circumstances are by and large irrelevant to the main issue. Employee is given €8000 to lodge, employee should go directly to the bank and lodge the cash. Employee doesnt do this and instead gives lifts to hitchers (who hitches a lift this day and age and who picks up random strangers when you have €8k in the car) and calls into their parents when they should be working.

The employee has failed in their duty to carry out the task and has breached procedure in doing so which will more than likely invalidate any insurance policy.

I would say that if I gave an employee €8000 to lodge and that it failed to end up in my account I would be looking to be reimbursed for that €8k.

The fact that they havent come forward and admitted it to their employer will weigh heavily against them, based on the senario outlined by the OP I would be very suspicious as to what happened the money and why it wasnt immediately reported.

The OPs friend needs to get some advice and come clean with their employer asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

It's unlikely to be 8k in cash and unless the employee's contract includes transport of large sums of cash then the employer has no business in asking the employee to do so.
    Second point is that if there were cheques in the lodgement it's likely that they can be replaced so prompt action is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

How do u kno he didnt pocket the money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Shelflife wrote: »
    Need to strip back the whole senario here. Their personal circumstances are by and large irrelevant to the main issue. Employee is given €8000 to lodge, employee should go directly to the bank and lodge the cash. Employee doesnt do this and instead gives lifts to hitchers (who hitches a lift this day and age and who picks up random strangers when you have €8k in the car) and calls into their parents when they should be working.
    You seem to be making a lot of assumptions here. First of all, hitching is still a way of life in many rural towns. Both parties may well know each other, so it is not usually a case of total strangers - but it still goes on.

You also assume that the employee 'should be working' on this journey, which assumes that they are being paid to make the lodgement. I wouldn't assume this at all. It may well be a loose arrangement to 'drop that into the bank when you're passing' with no payment for the time spent travelling or queueing in the bank. Check out the facts before you rush to judgement.

OP - Please clarify if your friend is paid for this journey? Is he 'on the clock' while travelling? Is he paid mileage? Is he insured to carry goods for his employer in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Presumably the OP's friend has gone to great lengths in trying to track down the money, retracing their steps, thoroughly checking the car, the parents house and so on?

The only time I have been in a vaguely similar situation carrying a lot of cash was with £17K sterling to buy a motorhome. Granted this was my own cash and not my employer's but I was acutely aware of where the money was at every second! I had to get the train to the dealer, cash was stuffed in a bum bag, kept on the inside of my trousers, safety pins on the zip and the package was cable tied to my belt loop for good measure! As if that wasn't enough I spent the entire journey s**tting myself, constantly checking it was still there.

I can't see how anybody could be so lax with a large quantity of cash as to misplace it and have no idea where or how it came to be lost. Crazy to be picking up strangers in these circumstances too. I'm genuinely not trying to be unsympathetic but am utterly perplexed as to how this has happened. Surely they must have an inkling of how the money went missing? The employer needs to know that the friend has gone to great lengths to try and recover the cash. If there is any possibility that the events can be explained by health issues causing confusion or carelessness then I'd be getting medical advice to back this up immediately.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Walter2016 wrote: »
    If they are there over a year, proper disciplinary procedure must take place before job is lost and I simply cannot see how it could happen unless lodging money is in his/her job description and the company gives him/ her the time and procedures to do the lodgement and that she did not follow those rules.

But if it was an adhoc arrangement and no set procedures were in place, then it would be very difficult to dismiss the person as the company has fault too.

Theft is considered gross misconduct and therefore grounds for summary dismissal. While we can only accept the op's word that the money was mislaid, not reporting for 6 weeks does not look at all good. The op has to tell the employer before the employer realises it was not lodged, then it will be too late, it will be a Garda matter then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

At the risk of being a dick your friend is in serious trouble
    8 grand missing is not going to go unnoticed and the fact the
    1. He admitted to stopping into his parents for chat while doing the lodgement
    2. Picking up people thumbers
    3. Hiding it for so long
    4. Putting it back a bit at a time actually makes it worst to me, why hide it why not ring straight away and admit it why cover it up.
    The first two things are going to be considered gross misconduct and at best he can hope his boss doesn't call the Gards get them to own up asap and offer them as much support you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The fact that employer actually trusts this person to lodge 8k says a lot to begin with. There must be total trust there. Should of reported it as soon as it was noticed it was missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Stolen by a hitchhiker on the way to the bank? Really?!?

Right, I'd recommend reporting it to the employer. It depends on their book keeping, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't realise it was missing yet - depends on the systems/business.

If it were me and I found myself in the current situation I would report it to the owner and say I will continue to pay it back (preferably from Gross wages, rather than net wages). If they are there over a year I think there would be a good chance of keeping their job.

And if they ever have responsibility of lodging money again go straight to the bank (I presume they are getting mileage driving 8 miles to the bank, and if not I don't believe the story) and don't pick up any strangers!

it is more of checking on them, as they are both in their old age, and one of them has a serious illness. The house is on their way to the bank but not on their way home.

The bold bit is totally irrelevant. How do their parents manage the other 9 hours they are in work.

BTW, if they travel to the bank it's during work hours anyway - why are they getting paid for 15 minutes during the work day?

And they should be getting mileage for 8 miles not the most likely far less (after tax) 15 minutes.

Anyone who is qualified and has the legal knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated.

As will be your fee when you your friend meets with a legal professional.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone who is qualified and has the legal knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated.

We are not allowed give legal advice here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can't get legal advice here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would like to say that I am grateful for most of the advice people have posted up, thank you. I will keep you updated as to the outcome of it all, and hopefully this matter will be resolved one way or another. I will keep an eye on the boards in case anyone else has anything more constructive to add.

To be honest there isn't much to add to the advice you've gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Either way if I trusted an employee wth 8000 of cash from my business and found out they were stopping ANYWHERE on the way to the bank it would be considered a huge risk and gross misconduct it's common sense do the job then check on your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What do you expect from this? Nobody is going to be able to tell you the position other than a solicitor.

Look at the fact, your friends has hid that they'll misplaced 8k for 6 weeks. It's not going to look good, no matter what spin you put on it.

• Advertisement

BTW, if they travel to the bank it's during work hours anyway - why are they getting paid for 15 minutes during the work day?

Night safe or AIB banking lobby (open 8am to 9pm) would be out of hours.

But definitely the person needs to simply sit down with management and tell them what has happened.

Once there's no criminality and the op's info is correct then the worst case scenario is to pay it back.

Again. Once its genuine and employee is there over a year, it would be difficult for dismissal unless there was a written / agreed procedure in place that was not followed.

Whilst I don't have legal knowledge, I do manage a business and I do have staff doing lodgements, but we have a set procedure and a max lodgement of 5k and if such an issue arose, we'd investigate and look at ways of amends such as unpaid hours or similar.

Advertisement