Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight forward exercises for toning stomach

• 07-10-2016 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lost fair bit of weight recently probley to much if anything! Anyway im looking to tone my midsection tighten up a bit problem is i find most of the exercises very complicated to follow when reading up and watching videos.

Joining a gym doesn't suit my schedule at the moment so just looking to do things at home in the morning or at night.

So what are the best more or less beginner exercises for toning that area that are straight forward to follow when starting out? Im 6ft4 and about 11st 12 at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

You can't go wrong with the plank to help your core. It's tougher than it seems. Russian twists are another good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Medicine ball, simples!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

You can't spot reduce fat like that. You're going to have to keep on losing weight until it eventually comes off your stomach. Sounds like you're on the right track anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭rocky

I hear table pushbacks work wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce fat like that. You're going to have to keep on losing weight until it eventually comes off your stomach. Sounds like you're on the right track anyway

BMI-wise he's already on the lower end of normal.

I've said it before and I'll said it again: lift weights, build muscle. Your overall composition will sort itself out. Without doing that, to lose enough weight to have a lean stomach you'll look like a castaway everywhere else. Do all the core exercises you want, but if you've still got belly fat then all that it will achieve is hide some strong core muscles beneath a layer of fat. Still good to have a strong core, but visually not much will change otherwise.

• Advertisement

Don't think OP wants to spot reduce, just to firm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Hanging Leg raises are good but you have to have the strength to hang in the first place but the most intense workout for abs I've done has involved a swiss ball, you can find work outs on youtube, my local gym does a class and it is a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

bladespin wrote: »
    Medicine ball, simples!

Do you eat it or insert it?

JJayoo wrote:
    Do you eat it or insert it?

Either, pretty sure they're low carb.

Either way 'abs are made in the kitchen'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yo, everyone saying "you can't spot reduce fat" and "abs are made in the kitchen," you are not helping here. OP has clearly said he's lost plenty of weight and wants advice ab exercises. You have no idea how much fat he is/isn't carrying around his belly. He hasn't asked how to get 'totally ripped abz' so spouting the same old tired catchphrases (particularly without adding any suggestions) is really redundant. Indeed, for all we know, the OP could be a few ab curls away from a six-pack. Advise the dude on an ab exercise or chill out.

OP, without access to a gym, try planks, hollow holds or lying leg raises for a start. Just search YouTube for a quick how-to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hey OP

Do you have any dumbbells? Or would you be able to get a cheap set in Argos? Usually something in their for about 30 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Last thing I need do is lose more weight ha. Maintain at least at this stage.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hey OP

Do you have any dumbbells? Or would you be able to get a cheap set in Argos? Usually something in their for about 30 euro.

Yep have a set I'm already using for arms etc.

Really I'm just a bit thrown off by some videos and instructions I've seen online. I see and hear people saying do this do this but when I try doing it never seem to be doing the exercises the right way if that makes sense?

I really wanna add in excersing mid section I used to do sit up s **** like that but was starting to find it a waste of time.

In relation to how much fat I have around middle it's fairly minimal at this stage I don't wanna lose any more weight cause I will look mental I just wanna build some lean muscle and tone up in general nothing crazy! :-P.

Thanks for all the reply s by the way I'll take everything and anything on board as it's all useful! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Big Turd

P90X3 or Max30 or one of them vids. They all come with a 10-15min ab vid, they're a fooker and seem to hit the stomach from all angles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭COH

Fork-Downs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Get yourself a cheap sit-up bench. If you have any light-ish weights around, just grab one of them and put it across your chest to add some resistance if you want.

Also a big fan of hanging leg raises from a chin up bar or rings. Allows you to work your arms back etc while doing your abs... and you can add resistance by adding weight to your ankles if needed.

If doing standard sit-ups, always protect your back. Don't do them while lying on a hard surface!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It seems these days that people are bending over backwards to make the simple things complicated.

Op go back to basics, you said sit ups were a waste of time ~ do more, they're not a waste of time.

Crunches, lots of crunches are brilliant too as are leg raises.

All the basic stuff with lots of reps.

If someone tries doing a sh!t load of ab work at the expense of other important fitness components... for me that's when progress will grind to a halt.

The trick is not to be obsessive about your abs... Just make sure you always try to consistently do some ab work in every workout.

Sit-ups might feel pointless or ineffective if you're overusing them. But incorporated on a consistent basis as one element of your overall workout plan, they are certainly not ineffective...

Boxers do ab work pretty much daily for example, but they don't replace other important training components with more ab work... it would be ineffective. It's mostly about consistency!

Thanks lads! Been up to my eyes with work college etc last while but I'll get back at it again later :-)

• Advertisement

I went and picked up a situp bench today in Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5494893.htm

After putting it together I looked up a few videos some go the whole way back some only a certain degree back which is correct?

I decided to try about 40 or 50 back about half way again it's hard to tell when you can only see in front of you!

I'm thinking I wasn't doing something right with my neck cause bit stiff and sore at the back of my head at the top of my neck.

It can't be that bloody hard to do this surely haha!

I went and picked up a situp bench today in Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5494893.htm

After putting it together I looked up a few videos some go the whole way back some only a certain degree back which is correct?

I decided to try about 40 or 50 back about half way again it's hard to tell when you can only see in front of you!

I'm thinking I wasn't doing something right with my neck cause bit stiff and sore at the back of my head at the top of my neck.

It can't be that bloody hard to do this surely haha!

Not understanding precisely what you're talking about here...?

Your back should be arched. Shoulders tucked in, hands kept in close to your upper chest... touch your lower/mid back off the board. Your shoulders should not hit the board.

Try to do it with some rhythm. You should be touching the board, then quickly back up. Make sure you warm up and stretch beforehand. You're right, it's not complicated... just keep at it. It will feel more natural eventually!

Not understanding precisely what you're talking about here...?

Your back should be arched. Shoulders tucked in, hands kept in close to your upper chest... touch your lower/mid back off the board. Your shoulders should not hit the board.

Try to do it with some rhythm. You should be touching the board, then quickly back up. Make sure you warm up and stretch beforehand. You're right, it's not complicated... just keep at it. It will feel more natural eventually!

It's how you go back that's confusing me by looking at videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As most have already covered , it's all about reducing your body fat levels through diet to get low enough that abs are visible, on a good lifting program your abs are being hit in most exercises and will sort themselves out as long as your doing right in the gym and diet. Deadlifts , squats , pull ups , chin ups even working your triceps all works your core by keeping it tight during reps and if our doing it right you'll feel it.

As your bodyfat lowers and your approaching low levels you can start to hammer your core if you wish , very easy exercises to do without needing equipment , russian twists , medicine ball twists , plank , plank and knee's up , sit ups are all very effective to start carrying you over the line and giving a solid mid section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Worked on this the past few days, might be worth bookmarking also

Best midline exercises you should be doing

Transform wrote: »

Fair play; bookmarked!

Fair play; bookmarked!
    cheers dude

I know you're making a living from this stuff transform, but really no need to make up nonsense terms for abdominal work! :p

It's just ab work... do it most days, not to excess, and your body will thank you!

Always happy to cut through the BS! :D

• Advertisement

We forgot the one where someone puts on boxing gloves and punches you in the stomach repeatedly.

Edit: I was thinking about the conor mcgregor clip where he is bracing his abs against whacks from his coach.

I know you're making a living from this stuff transform, but really no need to make up nonsense terms for abdominal work! :p

It's just ab work... do it most days, not to excess, and your body will thank you!

that made me lol, me trying to sound smart.
    Maybe just maybe i used the term 'midline stability' because......

because... i want to move the emphasis of abs work away from solely thinking of it as "get me a six pack" and get people thinking about improving control and strength there so they can do the important stuff like squats, deadlifts, handstands, muscle ups etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's more in your core than just your abs. People often forget that.

Always happy to help! :D

because... i want to move the emphasis of abs work away from solely thinking of it as "get me a six pack" and get people thinking about improving control and strength there so they can do the important stuff like squats, deadlifts, handstands, muscle ups etc

If your main goal is to develop your abs specifically, as the OP stated, then targeted ab work, such as sit-ups, are the obvious choice! (and like I said, no need to start calling them something else to sound clever!:P)

Of course other movements can also aid in developing that general area, this was never disputed by me... please try keep up transform. You're talking with a modern day pioneer of this ****. (not merely some run of the mill PT - no offence intended there btw)
    Mellor wrote: »
    There's more in your core than just your abs. People often forget that.

Always happy to help! :D

Read my point above.

I'm happy you wish to be helpful.

Actually, if you want to get very deep into this stuff, your butt and lower back have a huge role to play in the strength of your abdominal area and external obliques etc... your butt in particular, is the main connection point between the lower and mid-section of your body.

A strong butt and lower back greatly helps to give you a strong abdominal area when you are talking about advanced movements in particular! This is why high level cardio work is vital in the long run, if you want a strong muscular body.

Sprints, in particular hill sprints, will greatly aid in the development of a strong butt - and hence a strong abdominal section. (in addition to targeted abdominal work obviously - and occasionally some squats too - although many people rely far too heavily on squats imo) ;)

Anyone else putting ThinkProgress on mute after this display of shîtty attitude?

• Advertisement

Actually, if you want to get very deep into this stuff, your butt and lower back have a huge role to play in the strength of your abdominal area and external obliques etc... your butt in particular, is the main connection point between the lower and mid-section of your body.

I'm well aware they are link to your abs. They would be some if the other areas I referred to. You're essentially basically elaborating on the point I made.
    Which contradicts your "just do sit ups" idea above.

I'm well aware they are link to your abs. They would be some if the other areas I referred to. You're essentially basically elaborating on the point I made.
    Which contradicts your "just do sit ups" idea above.

No contradiction - please read again. More carefully this time! ;)

I have never advocated doing merely one thing to develop your body. But something like the classic sit-up, is an excellent targeted exercise for your abs!

Doing frequent sit-ups is an excellent way on the road to a strong abdominal area, but obviously it's not the only thing you need.

(come on now mellor, don't be one of those people who draws infantile conclusions just so they can make a meaningless retort - makes you appear petty!) ;)

Anyone else putting ThinkProgress on mute after this display of shîtty attitude?

Who are you? Should I be caring right now? :pac:

Work away! (although you're probably not reading this... or ARE you?) :p

Attitude is atrocious. But the arrogance is fairly entertaining.

Attitude is atrocious. But the arrogance is fairly entertaining.

Try being in MY shoes blacktie... it can be more than a bit frustrating when you are dealing with such atrocious mis-information and nonsense in this industry.

When you are operating at my level, it certainly gets tedious reading all the BS.

Although I am committed to guiding people in the right direction, and away from the misinformation... I will admit to getting a touch frustrated with the sheer scale of the BS floating around.

Btw, when you are this good, how can you be humble and modest? Really, how? lol

Happy you are entertained though! :cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help anyway lads unfollowing this now.......

:pac:

Thanks for the help anyway lads unfollowing this now.......

:pac:

You're very welcome! :)

Sorry, this community has a bit of a reputation for being argumentative and very hostile towards people that don't share their very narrow approach to training... It's extremely cliquey around these parts in that regard.

But hopefully you gained some valuable info! Best of luck. ;)

Try being in MY shoes blacktie... it can be more than a bit frustrating when you are dealing with such atrocious mis-information and nonsense in this industry.

When you are operating at my level, it certainly gets tedious reading all the BS.

Btw, when you are this good, how can you be humble and modest? Really, how? lol:
    Aren't you the guy who thought chicken was a source of fibre?

A different level indeed...;)

Sorry, this community has a bit of a reputation for being argumentative and very hostile towards people that don't share their very narrow approach to training... It's extremely cliquey around these parts in that regard.

Says the guy actively insulting everyone who doesn't agree with his dogma.

A different level indeed...;)

Now you're getting it... you could become a ThinkProgress disciple soon mellor... there may be some hope for you yet! ;)

I'm like f*cking moses parting the red sea... follow me or drown in the sea of mediocrity! :P

Says the guy actively insulting everyone who doesn't agree with his dogma.

Insulting? No, no, no... you are misinterpreting my posts it seems. I am merely incredibly confident and I am happy to stand my ground when challenged.

Perhaps you are not used to someone as knowledgeable and confident as me imparting said knowledge? It can be disconcerting I suppose... but you'll adapt I'm sure!

Don't fear greater knowledge. No matter where it comes from! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Now you're getting it... you could become a ThinkProgress disciple soon mellor... there may be some hope for you yet! ;)

I'm like f*cking moses parting the red sea... follow me or drown in the sea of mediocrity! :P
    So tell us, are you going to back up your talk? Plenty of professionals have the credentials on here to back up their free advice. You done nothing but talk sh1te to the level of trolling. What are your credentials?

Pics to prove, we've all see Transform's results.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What are your credentials?

A lifetime spent devoting myself to the study of fitness and human physiology (among other things)...?

Which particular random piece of paper were you going to suggest I need to produce, which proves I know my sh*t? lol

Go on, I'm curious which exact "credential" (that's no doubt flavor of the current month) you think adds gravitas or credence to my bank of knowledge?

I do actually have relevant qualifications, but most of them are junk... I could write a better syllabus in my sleep than most courses out there! True knowledge is derived from a constant and insatiable hunger. The only exam that really matters is the one you pass in the mirror! ;)

Do you remember that quote from the film good will hunting: "You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on an education you coulda' picked up for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!"

I'll just let you ruminate on that quote for a while...
    bladespin wrote: »
    Pics to prove, we've all see Transform's results.

This proves you guys are not as sure of yourselves as you might wish me to believe... If you were so confident that I don't know what I'm talking about, you would not even require such things. You would already know!

Showing very obvious chinks in your armor! I see the bluffers a mile off... :pac:

Please address the post, not the poster. And try to avoid making things personal. (school boy stuff chaps - if you've been around here 5 minutes, you'll know the score on that one!) ;)

alright enough, cut it out everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement