Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight forward exercises for toning stomach

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Attitude is atrocious. But the arrogance is fairly entertaining.
    this made me laugh

bladespin wrote: »
    Pics to prove, we've all see Transform's results.
    Plus im feckin old and greying now so that kind of buys me some more added credibility

overall i rarely ever do sit ups myself or with many of my clients, just think there are better options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Transform wrote: »
    overall i rarely ever do sit ups myself or with many of my clients, just think there are better options.

There are different options... and many of those techniques are excellent and have lot's of merit.

I don't just do sit-ups myself. I do many different things!

But the OP asked for a straight-forward approach... so that's precisely what I gave them. I've been (erroneously) accused of over complication, when in fact I kept my advice intentionally simple!

I wonder how many people actually read the thread title ("straight forward exercises for toning stomach") or the OP...? lol

Sit-ups might be "old school"... but there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with using great old methods. Some of the smartest boxing coaches in the world for example still rely on the humble sit-up.

So yes, I agree with you Transform... in a sense. There are of course other legitimate methods. But I do think you are making a mistake to write off the humble old sit-up! (But I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one, like adults) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I don't know where some people get the time

I don't know where some people get the time

If fitness is truly important to you... you will find the time from somewhere! ;)

There are different options... and many of those techniques are excellent and have lot's of merit.

I don't just do sit-ups myself. I do many different things!

But the OP asked for a straight-forward approach... so that's precisely what I gave them. I've been (erroneously) accused of over complication, when in fact I kept my advice intentionally simple!

I wonder how many people actually read the thread title ("straight forward exercises for toning stomach") or the OP...? lol

Sit-ups might be "old school"... but there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with using great old methods. Some of the smartest boxing coaches in the world for example still rely on the humble sit-up.

So yes, I agree with you Transform... in a sense. There are of course other legitimate methods. But I do think you are making a mistake to write off the humble old sit-up! (But I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one, like adults) :p
    Im not making a mistake dude Im making a decision based on 20yrs working directly with clients.

Plus i have to say you're more measured and nicer when addressing me vs the others that have questioned you here, an observation that you should consider.

Im not making a mistake dude Im making a decision based on 20yrs working directly with clients.

Plus i have to say you're more measured and nicer when addressing me vs the others that have questioned you here, an observation that you should consider.

Oh, trust me DUDE... I'm always measured. Nothing I do is a mistake or a miscalculation. If you disrespect me or my views, you'll get a significantly darker side of me! Please do not make that mistake like the others on here! ;)

Btw, I meant to ask you why you chose the word "RARELY" when referring to your use (or non use) of sit-ups?

If, as suggested, you think "there are better options", why would you "RARELY" use them? If you consider them to be an inferior option, surely you should NEVER use them!? :cool:

You don't seem very clear in your own mind really... that's certainly how it looks to me!

And yes, it is my opinion that you are making an error in judgement IF you are in fact completely ruling out an abdominal exercise that has been proven for generations to bring excellent results... and is still in use today by a great many highly intelligent and experienced trainers... I firmly stand by my opinion on that.

But just because you make some occasional mistakes or errors in judgement, does not mean you are not a decent trainer. I'm quite sure you are decent at your job! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

One a side note, thinkprogress, can you tell me why bodyweight excersises are better than say powerlifting for building strength.?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    One a side note, thinkprogress, can you tell me why bodyweight excersises are better than say powerlifting for building strength.?

Depends what you mean by strength?

My idea of optimal human strength, as it relates to optimal human fitness, might be quite different to yours!

Powerlifting has it's place... in moderation. When done to excess, however, it does not promote optimal human fitness IMO. It creates a type of fitness and physique that is lacking in many important areas...

I believe BW movements, when done intelligently, can produce a better range of dynamic strength that does not hinder other areas of fitness. (in fact it often compliments them)

In simple terms, powerlifting promotes slower, less dynamic and less agile strength. Like I said, that does not mean powerlifting movements are useless... they can be useful when not done to excess.

I believe to attain optimal human strength, you need to pay careful attention to your power relative to your other attributes. It's a delicate balancing act...

Think of someone like Bruce Lee, for example. He was very small and light... but the power and strength he possessed in that small frame, was immense. And none of that strength negated the other aspects of his fitness!

BW movements can give you the best chance of striking that balance... not on their own. But certainly as the main component in your program! They allow you to use more of your body, and in a way that engages your muscles more in tandem and with greater emphasis on balance and co-ordination. Particularly when you can learn to do them at speed and with fluidity and timing.

But even BW movements can be used un-intelligently. Too many people are guilty of becoming obsessed with the idea of "strength" and they tend to equate that idea with size too... which compounds the problem!

Your goal should never be size. Not if you want excellent strength as one aspect optimal all-round fitness.

This is why, even with BW work, I never do pure strength sessions. I might do sessions that are focused primarily on strength... but there is always an aspect of speed, explosiveness, agility etc. involved.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you any idea of where I stand on it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am merely incredibly confident

The one thing confident people never do is go around telling strangers how confident they think they are. That's the behaviour of a narcissist; which is itself rooted in insecurity.

(Sorry BlueWolf I promise I'm done now)

Zillah wrote: »
    The one thing confident people never do is go around telling strangers how confident they think they are. That's the behaviour of a narcissist; which is itself rooted in insecurity.

(Sorry BlueWolf I promise I'm done now)

lol... I'm always tickled when people think they're revealing something new by labeling me a narcissist.

I've got some news for you Zillah, I'm fully aware of my narcissistic traits... and it is possibly the one aspect of my personality that I am most glad I possess! :D

It just also happens to one of the main things that most Irish people lack, in this country that compels everyone to be constantly humble and modest... right up to the point that almost everyone on this Island is hamstrung by a deep and debilitating inferiority complex and a crippling lack of self confidence!

Narcissism, when kept under control, is an incredibly powerful weapon in one's psyche. Of course it can be a dangerous trait... no doubt. But I can say without hesitation, it has given me far more benefits than drawbacks.

When others are diddering or seeking the approval of the herd, I generally plow right ahead without blinking. When others are allowing life's complexities and conformities to bog them down and beat them down, I just push all that sh*t aside and breeze right past without a care or a doubt...

It is like a magic pill... If you are lucky enough to be able to combine even a modicum of intelligence with a big healthy dose of narcissism... you're on the pig's back! :cool:

I truly do believe, the lack of healthy levels of narcissism is possibly the main factor that holds most talented/intelligent Irish folk back from achieving their true potential and happiness in this life! And it really is quite sad tbh...

And while I do have empathy in that regard, I also breath a deep sigh of relief that I am not held back by that crutch of self doubt.

I've bundles of self confidence yet I don't manage to p1ss people off too much and rarely here.

Huge fan of Bruce Lee and probably many other influences in common but you know what they all had in common - they demonstrated their knowledge.

There's a point where people don't want to hear what you have to say and it shuts conversation down fast when you can prove it. Bundle up all that self confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh, trust me DUDE... I'm always measured. Nothing I do is a mistake or a miscalculation.
    Come on now. That's clear not true. You've made some silly mistakes in the past. I'm not going to list them as it's petty, and not relevant to the thread.

The current advice you've offered is a lot more measure than some in the past. And not anything that I'd disagree with, so far at least.
    My idea of optimal human strength, as it relates to optimal human fitness, might be quite different to yours!

I'd agree with that. Optimal for a powerlifter, and optimal for a gymnast are very different. I think that BW exercises can be excellent. And use them as part of a few areas of my training. But might not suit everyone. Different individuals, different goals, etc

I've bundles of self confidence yet I don't manage to p1ss people off too much and rarely here.

I'm happy for you, that you feel confident. Power to you! ;)

We all have different personalities transform. While I do not go out of my way to pi$$ anyone off... I also do not go out of my to avoid it either!

Too many kiss a$$es and appeasers in this world. And it links very closely in with what I mentioned earlier about our culture of extreme modesty and humbleness... our society tries to keep everyone's opinions "safe" and "sanitized"... and "PC".

Well I say, f*ck all that. I will never be a PC person who walks through this life worrying if his opinions might upset someone... I speak my mind, and I do so confidently. If that sometimes brings me into conflict, so be it.

I'm just simply not built to exist the same way some other people do around here...

Mellor wrote: »
    Come on now. That's clear not true. You've made some silly mistakes in the past. I'm not going to list them as it's petty, and not relevant to the thread.

The current advice you've offered is a lot more measure than some in the past. And not anything that I'd disagree with, so far at least.

I'd agree with that. Optimal for a powerlifter, and optimal for a gymnast are very different. I think that BW exercises can be excellent. And use them as part of a few areas of my training. But might not suit everyone. Different individuals, different goals, etc

Mellor, I'm glad we agree on some things... but it's not essential for you to like or agree with everything I say. (or the manner in which I say it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

do sit ups and/or leg raises. For either you should not let your shoulders (sit ups) or feet (raises) touch the floor between reps.
    I normally go four sets. 20, 15, 10, 5.
    Raise explosively and then lower slowly but keep the tension on all the time.

Russian twists are good but make sure you have a good dumbell or kettlebell. If you are not writhing around in agony after a set you're not doing it right. Do it right and you should have a minced set of able to split firewood off your abs in 6 weeks.

Where's you bf% at currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yo, everyone saying "you can't spot reduce fat" and "abs are made in the kitchen," you are not helping here. OP has clearly said he's lost plenty of weight and wants advice ab exercises. You have no idea how much fat he is/isn't carrying around his belly. He hasn't asked how to get 'totally ripped abz' so spouting the same old tired catchphrases (particularly without adding any suggestions) is really redundant. Indeed, for all we know, the OP could be a few ab curls away from a six-pack. Advise the dude on an ab exercise or chill out.

OP, without access to a gym, try planks, hollow holds or lying leg raises for a start. Just search YouTube for a quick how-to.

thanks for those

sit ups a waste of time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

do inclined sit ups or while holding progressively larger plates to you chest. Twist to either side for working the obliques. You should keep upping the resistance so that you can't make it past 15 reps before failing.

Hanging leg raises are also good. Attach weight belts to your ankles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    do inclined sit ups or while holding progressively larger plates to you chest

Maybe it is a tall person problem but I find any variety of sit up makes my back feel uncomfortable. Using a weight just makes it worse. I much prefer hang-raises.

I love doing these: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/landmine-180s

They call it a core exercise but it feels like a full body workout to me - hits shoulder and biceps pretty well, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor, I'm glad we agree on some things... but it's not essential for you to like or agree with everything I say. (or the manner in which I say it)
    Don't worry, it's not remotely close to everything. I still laugh every time I think of you scrambling to defend the assertion that there lots of fibre in chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I wish people would stop engaging with the moronbackwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement