Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best route glasnevin -> greystones

Options
  • 07-10-2016 1:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭

looking at google maps - I could go down via phibsborough, clanbrassil street, and head from ranelagh all the way up to sandyford, and cut onto the N11, but is there benefit in going via the east link and out through blackrock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

looking at google maps - I could go down via phibsborough, clanbrassil street, and head from ranelagh all the way up to sandyford, and cut onto the N11, but is there benefit in going via the east link and out through blackrock?

Is this a commute or just a spin? Either way, for getting through town I'd recommend following the North Circular road east and crossing the Beckett Bridge. If it's just a spin then head into Ringsend -> Irishtown and you could follow the coast road all the way.

Benefit of the coast road is it's mostly flat, with the exception of Killiney Hill and between Bray and Greystones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heading down for a friend's 40th tomorrow. i reckon it'd be as fast - or faster - to cycle than to take public transport. if i averaged 20km/h i should be able to do it in about 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

heading down for a friend's 40th tomorrow. i reckon it'd be as fast - or faster - to cycle than to take public transport. if i averaged 20km/h i should be able to do it in about 90 minutes.

If you cycle as far as Grand Canal Dock train station and grab a Dart from there to either Bray or Greystones no one will ever know. I've done that a few times on a bike and it's quite a pleasant trip. There'll be plenty of space for your bike too, just aim for the most forward carriage on the Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Drumcondra to Greystones should be just over an hour and it costs the same on the train as getting on at Grand Canal Dock. You might be able to walk to Drumcondra depending on where in Glasnevin you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Moflojo wrote: »
    If you cycle as far as Grand Canal Dock train station and grab a Dart from there to either Bray or Greystones no one will ever know. I've done that a few times on a bike and it's quite a pleasant trip. There'll be plenty of space for your bike too, just aim for the most forward carriage on the Dart.

This is a cycling Forum...encouraging someone to take an alternative form of transport instead of cycling (and Glasnevin to Greystones is perfectly doable!) should result in a one week ban! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Head out N11 (don't use cycle path - use the road) but turn off it at shankhill - the first roundabout you come to. Then head through shankhill and on for Bray, head through Bray town rather than getting back on n11, traffic there is awful but you should be ok to filter through. Take a left where the road forks. There is a bit of a hill going up past the golf club but then you get a nice spin down into Greystones.

Do not continue on the n11 past shankhill - it turns into a motorway in parts (I am not absolutely certain if there are motorway sectuions before Greystones) but even where it is a dual carriageway it is an awful road to cycle on - dirty hard shoulder and cars flying past & motorway style "off ramps" even where it is a dual carriageway but not a motorway.

alternatively you can go through Enniskerry and on past powerscourt then turn left when you come to the T junction where the right turn would bring you up the long hill towards Roundwood. That left brings you down to kilmacanogue and I think that brings you out south of bray, then the same road to Greystones past the golf club. Longer route but more pleasant scenery I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

RE: Fian above (I'm too lazy to edit the quote on my phone) -

N11 is motorway from that RA to Fassaroe in Bray, so you have to take the route through Shankill.

I'd avoid getting back on N11 in Fassaroe too. The hard shoulder there is fenced off, and traffic there is not friendly. Go over the hill and down through Windgates into Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Just in relation to this, the easiest route (in terms of not having to worry about directions) is to take N11 to Loughlinstown roundabout, Shankill, Bray, Kilruddery, Bray Head, Greystones.

While the coastal route out to Shankill is nice (Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Killiney) you're going to be pretty sweaty arriving to the party!

NB: You CANNOT proceed on the N11 from roundabout at Loughlinstown - it's Motorway as far as Fassaroe

On the rarer than I'd hoped for occasions that I cycle home from work, this is the route I take:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/23+Merrion+Street+Upper,+Dublin,+Ireland/Greystones+Railway+Station,+Church+Road,+Greystones,+Ireland/@53.2426711,-6.3007676,11z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x48670e99d92a71b1:0x86815603b185b557!2m2!1d-6.2530506!2d53.3387186!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2370151!2d53.3222068!3s0x48670eb64cb4087f:0xe519869fec09cb72!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867af294503ea5f:0xdfd3fc63a01418e4!2m2!1d-6.0610217!2d53.1440459!3e1

Don't mind google's time estimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

RE: Fian above (I'm too lazy to edit the quote on my phone) -

N11 is motorway from that RA to Fassaroe in Bray, so you have to take the route through Shankill.

I'd avoid getting back on N11 in Fassaroe too. The hard shoulder there is fenced off, and traffic there is not friendly. Go over the hill and down through Windgates into Greystones.
    Rejoining N11 at Fassaroe adds about 8km to the journey too, so it's really not worth it to avoid Bray Head. It's pretty handy travelling N to S that way anyway and the descent is great. Lovely surface and a wide road once you clear the trees at Windgates!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

The cycle path south from the Leopardstown turn off is pretty ok. I commute on it quite regularly. It's a lot nicer than cycling on a dual carriageway. Prior to the turn off it's pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers all!
    i reckon i might head out via ranelagh, out through clonskeagh and goatstown, past the racecourse, and drop onto the N11 that way, instead of using the N11 or rock road to get out that far.

the part i'm least looking forward to is the start of the return journey on sunday - up over windgates. i reckon it could be a heavy night tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

the part i'm least looking forward to is the start of the return journey on sunday - up over windgates. i reckon it could be a heavy night tomorrow.

Yeah, have fun with that bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hope you have time for a shower and change before going to the PARTY!

will clear the cobwebs out of your head and sort you out so.

i may be on here on sunday afternoon or evening suggesting that strava needs an 'oh my god, what have i gotten into' alert function.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Fian wrote: »
    Head out N11 (don't use cycle path - use the road) [...]

Apologies for the OT question, but, why not the cycle path on the N11?
    I've use it before and it's alright. Am I missing something?

My bike is an hybrid one.

well, the climb out of greystones was not nearly as bad as i'd feared, mainly because i was not nearly as hungover as i feared i'd be.
    lovely morning for it too; went out via ringsend/blackrock as a friend joined me for the cycle out, but came home via leopardstown/clonskeagh. 35.5km, took an hour and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Apologies for the OT question, but, why not the cycle path on the N11?
    I've use it before and it's alright. Am I missing something?

My bike is an hybrid one.

It's grand if you don't mind being seasick.

i did use it on and off from shankill to leopardstown, but there was that slightly unnerving crackle of debris under the tyres, and i did see one or two spots where there were minor amounts of glass.

• Advertisement

i did use it on and off from shankill to leopardstown, but there was that slightly unnerving crackle of debris under the tyres, and i did see one or two spots where there were minor amounts of glass.

How did you get on on Sunday?

As to why not use the cycle path - it is grand in stretches but pretty crap in others, that's all. Plus with a bus lane the whole way the road is not unpleasant to cycle. I use it in parts and not in others but for someone not familiar with it easiest thing to advise is to avoid it.

the spin from shankill to leopardstown was the sunday one. roads were fairly quiet too, so didn't have any issues when i was in the bus lane.

one thing i did note was that there's no footpath along the N11 on several stretches (not even a shared cycle path/footpath) - we did only meet one pedestrian and his kid though on the cycle path, but there seemed to be room for a separate footpath though.

as mentioned, we went out through blackrock on saturday - my first time cycling there in years. they have the new cycle lane there, which is kerbed about two inches above the road surface. only real issue i had was it prevents you from overtaking a cyclist in front if they're stuck dead centre, as i wouldn't be comfortable hopping off into the road, and back up again at such an oblique angle. the path itself was clean enough (for now anyway)
    also, the woman i had to overtake wasn't paying much attention, cycling along while using her smartphone.

Advertisement