Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching to zero nicotine juice.

• 07-10-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Hey Guys,

Just looking for a little bit of advice regarding my vaping, to start with i was using 12mg but over the past few months ive slowly dropped down to 3mg which i didnt have too much bother with,

since ive started back to college, i have to walk down 3 or 4 flights of stairs to have a smoke (never vaped indoors in a public place, just didnt feel right)

so ive gone from consuming roughly 2 tanks a day to 1 tank lasting me a few days so I think im ready to go a bit cold turkey on the nicotine,

has anyone ever tried this with success? might i just be handier to go cold turkey? im definitely a lot more independant of the nic than what i used to be but theres still times when i love to have a bit of a vape (specially during a long car journey) so kinda hoping my brain is a bit fooled into thinking that im still vaping away even if there aint any actual nicotine being vaped.....

Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

I posted the below on athother thread but seems to fit perfectly to your situation.

"Im currently vaping 0mg for about six month now. Started on 18mg and just went down over a few years. The throat hit is the big thing I miss but my vape usage has dropped considerably. Sometime Id go days without vaping...
    Was tempted recently to go back to 3mg but want to stay off the nicotine..
    I do remember when I dropped from 3mg to 0mg it was like going cold turkey off the smokes all over again. Not as easy as you might think.. The cravings for nicotine were defo still there and you would find yourself gagging for a smoke/vape.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If you mixed your own juices you can have any nic level you desire. You could drop to 1mg say, before going to 0, might make it easier. But, buying pre-made juices you're stuck with 3mg at the lowest, which sucks a bit. I think i could do it if I really tried, but I'm happy at 3mg. I was on 24mg at one stage, years ago, and with much higher ohm coils and lower watts, but still a lot of nic. I used to get the odd headache when I'd chain vape, I was getting through 30ml bottle in just a few days even then. One of the reasons I eventually started DIY, was costing me a fortune in juice purchases. I think everyone should try DIY at least once. You have so much control ...

But, if you don't plan to DIY, good luck on that nic drop, hope it's not too painful for you. I'd say stick it out for a week or two then you'll have conquered the nic urges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

As cagey says, dropping to very very low nic might ease the transition. That's my plan anyway - I started with 18mg, and now I'm down to 5.7mg (mtl). I intend to be about 3mg by Christmas, and then keep working down to eventually be off nic completely, hopefully by about Easter.
    DIY is the best way to do it, but if the juice you vape has a 3mg and 0mg variant, you could just buy one of each and mix them for a 1.5mg juice.

Good point, hadn't thought of that, mix a zero and 3mg.

That's what I'm planning to do, have zero interest in making my own juices but I'll mix them up to where they go down in .5 mg

• Advertisement

I ordered some 0mg juice of these guys last week. Any combination of VG/PG/nicotine you want. Best for 0mg ive seen in a while.http://www.cloudhousevapor.com/american-made-juices/american-made-juices/mount-baker-vapor.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If you're serious just get a prescription for Champix You'll be free of all that nonsense in 2 months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just a reminder folks. If you are here to tell people not to use e-cigs you are in the wrong forum. It's considered trolling as much as it would be to go into the games forum and tell them to go outside.

Glebee wrote: »
    I ordered some 0mg juice of these guys last week. Any combination of VG/PG/nicotine you want. Best for 0mg ive seen in a while.http://www.cloudhousevapor.com/american-made-juices/american-made-juices/mount-baker-vapor.html

I've used Cloudhouse in the past, they have some good deals every now and then if you sign up too

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

Hey guys, ended up buying 0 mg and going onto just that wasnt the smoothest of transitions so went for a ratio of about a quarter of a tank to 3 quarters 0 nicotine and that wasnt nearly as tough, im just about all out of 3mg now though so will update on how i get on

• Advertisement

bitburger wrote: »
    Hey guys, ended up buying 0 mg and going onto just that wasnt the smoothest of transitions so went for a ratio of about a quarter of a tank to 3 quarters 0 nicotine and that wasnt nearly as tough, im just about all out of 3mg now though so will update on how i get on

Dropping to 0mg is not the easiest of tasks, the nicotine craving will kick in. Its defo easier than going cold turkey of the cigerettes though IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I use low nicotine, or no nicotine. I find replacing the throat hit with wattage worked well. I run most my TC and wattage devices on the warm side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

I have a relative that will only use Burren Blend and he's down to the 6MG version now.

We were looking for a lower version so if we get the 6 and also the 0 and mix them into a larger bottle we should have a 3MG strength then?

Edit: can large empty bottles with the dropper head be got? Be handy just dump em into the one larger bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I haven't smoked in 10 years, no vaping in those days.
    Curious to know, do many people start vaping without ever having smoked or is it just to get off cigarettes / have a puff without having to go out in the rain?
    My daughter has just started secondary school and there are a few lads who are vaping without ever having smoked. Personally, I can't see the attraction but I suppose non smokers could never see the attraction in smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Advbrd wrote: »
    I haven't smoked in 10 years, no vaping in those days.
    Curious to know, do many people start vaping without ever having smoked or is it just to get off cigarettes / have a puff without having to go out in the rain?
    My daughter has just started secondary school and there are a few lads who are vaping without ever having smoked. Personally, I can't see the attraction but I suppose non smokers could never see the attraction in smoking.

Like traditional smoking was when I was a lad, it was the "cool" thing to do. So I'd imagine that vaping has the same kind of thing attached to it. Like it's rebellious or something. It also has the obvious advantage over smoking that it's a lot easier to hide from your parents i.e. it's not obvious that you're a vaper as you clothes don't stink.

To answer your question however, I know no one who vapes that never smoked. All the vapers I know were once smokers and use it to replace that habit, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've been a solid 6mg MTL vaper now for a few years. I attempted 0mg juice some time ago but without the throat hit I couldn't manage it. I have recently started buying the odd 3mg juice which works quite well. Although I do find I have to take several drags on a 3mg juice compared to a 6mg. I'll keep at it, as ultimately I would like to get down to 0mg. Once I exclusively switch to 3mg, I'll stay at that for a few months before mixing 0mg and 3mg together. I'm in no mad rush to get down to 0 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

My sisters kid is now smoking. He's 18 and feels quite comfortable with being an official smoker ie doesn't hide the fact in smokes from the family. I've been trying to get him to give vaping a go but isn't interested - wish he had just wanted to play adult be cool etc with vape and never went with the real thing. If young ones are going start with vaping better this then suddenly realizing many years later that smoking wasn't such a great idea *sigh*

Advertisement