Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the noise

Options
  • 07-10-2016 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello All,

Ive recently moved into an apartment and all is well except this very irritating noise that i cant put my finger on. See description below

-Very load vibrating noise which can be heard across three floors
    -The pitch of the noise varies which leads me to believe the noise is under a physical load
    -Happens at mad times, 1,2,3,4,5 in the morning and also during the day.
    -If it happens during the day, it wont happen at night
    -The noise occurs for a duration of one hour. During this hour the noise is very sporadic i.e goes for 10 seconds, stops for 3, goes again for 5 and this completely changes which each cycle.
    -The sequence of events are as follows: The toilet extract fan begins (so we know its coming from the toilet), noise occurs for one hour then the toilet flushes, then stops.

Possible causes are as follows;

-First i thought a food processor of some sort because the pitch of the noise changes. i.e. its blending food.
    -A beard/hair trimmer. Toilet light goes on (know this because we can hear the extract fan), shaves beard for one hour !? then flushes the hair down the toilet.
    -I know its not the domestic water pump as i can also definitively hear this going off as well and its a different sound.
    -General toilet duties. But who uses the toilet for an hour??? even at 2 in the morning

Its the type of noise that would wake you up in the middle of the night and keep you up.

It sounds like it coming from directly above us but when i go out to investigate its hard to pin point exactly where its coming from and i cant exactly go knocking on peoples door without proof!

any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

white-ghost.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Washing machine, dishwater. Any number of different applicances?

You have too much time on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Washing machine or dish washer.

Is your development on electricity only? that would explain appliances being run during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Saniflo macerator maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tiny Kango.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Washing machine or dish washer.

Is your development on electricity only? that would explain appliances being run during the night.

Yes, only electricity, good suggestion!!!

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Washing machine, dishwater. Any number of different applicances?

You have too much time on your hands.

hahahaha, BRILLIANT!!!! coming from the guy who starts a thread about the "appalling dress sense of the common man" or "honey from bees" or "who would win in a fight Conor Mcgregor vs Mikey the Pikey" go back to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Sounds like a problem I had in my office and the noise initially happened sporadically and was a very high pithced whiney droning noise but we figured out it would stop when the toilet was flushed. Eventually it turned out to be the ballcock in the cistern was damaged and the water level was getting too high in the cistern and the balloon part was knocking off the inside of the ceramic inside of the toilet cistern. New ballcock sorted it out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Its the type of noise that would wake you up in the middle of the night and keep you up.
    You have my sympathies.

It might be helpful to talk to your neighbours. If it's that bad, they may have been thinking about it as well. Particularly long-standing neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its the water pump OP, usually located beside the water tank. It feeds the water supply to your shower, all taps and the toilet cistern.

You will have to be at one with the water pump.

:cool:

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Its the water pump OP, usually located beside the water tank. It feeds the water supply to your shower, all taps and the toilet cistern.

You will have to be at one with the water pump.

:cool:

i wish it was the water pump but its not because the water pump has a very distinctive sound which also occurs during the noise.

Most possible cause is maybe a washing machine/dishwasher.

The noise comes from the dishwasher/ washing machine then i hear the actual water pump going off which would feed the water to the appliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed pending mod review

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement