Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Breaks for Solo Travel

• 07-10-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm just back from a week in Rome, my first solo trip and it was incredible.

I've definitely got the traveling bug and I'm dying to start planning my next trip!

Any recommendations for city breaks that would suit a female traveling alone?
    There are so many to chose from I don't know where to start.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I have a thing for non-Capital cities: Bilbao, Bordeaux, Gdansk, Goteborg, Hambourg, Rotterdam, Salzburg...
    Depends on the time of the year really.
    Don't overlook the UK cities, plenty to do in Manchester for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Salzburg is on my list, dying to go there!

I'm English so the cities there have no appeal for me :D

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Salzburg is on my list, dying to go there!

I'm English so the cities there have no appeal for me :D

Thanks for your reply

Salzburg is great but you won't get a week out of it. Prague, Antwerp, Bruges, Munich are good options too. Europe is your oyster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Salzburg is great but you won't get a week out of it. Prague, Antwerp, Bruges, Munich are good options too. Europe is your oyster!

I was thinking of flying into Germany (Munich), staying a couple of days and then getting the train across to Austria to see Salzburg.

I could do both in 5 days. Plus Ryanair fly direct from Salzburg to Dublin which is handy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Munich and Salzburg sound like a good plan !
    I have head good things about Innsbruck, haven't made it there (yet!)
    Bozen/Bolzano in Italy is further south and lovely, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

I do like Lisbon..plenty to see, nice food, safe and cheap enough. City transport is good and easy to take day trips to Sintra or elsewhere..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Valetta is absolutely gorgeous! And warm, which helps :)

Also, many many years ago myself and a pal did a mini-tour of the BeNeLux countries - there was a special train ticket (like a scaled down Interrail) that you could do so unlimited travelling on 3 days out of 5 (or something like that anyway - it's a LONG time ago!).

There were so many gorgeous places within those three countries - Amsterdam, Brussels, Luxembourg, Bruges, Utrecht - can't remember the half of them.

Anyway, point is, it's a relatively small area and loads of lovely places to visit and REALLY easy to get around.

Also.....

Dalmatian coast - fly to Dubrovnik, which is only gawjus - you have Split and Trogir (a UNESCO World Heritage site) up the road (about 4 hours), Mostar in Bosnia, and any amount of gorgeous islands nearby that are served by a very comprehensive ferry system. Montengro is not very far south of Dubrovnik (don't know how easy transport would be to there, I never made it that far south - yet). Again, haven't done land-based transport over there for a very long time but it was easy enough back then and I can only imagine it's improved since.

But a long weekend pootling around Dubrovnik alone would be my idea of a weekend very well spent!

Advertisement