Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stick with Xbox?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

TL;DR Version: Convince me to stay wth Xbox and move on to an Xbox One.

Hi all,

So, I have had an Xbox 360 since around 2006 (I think).

I immediately loved it and loved the joypad. I still do love it and I still play a bit of the old Call of Duty games online from time to time. When Call of Duty 4 and Modern Wardare 2 were out I was still in college and I was addicted.

Right now I am thinking it's time to upgrade and l hopefully I'll get 3 ish years before they force a new console on us. Which I'd be happy with.

The immediate thought is stick with Microsoft. But then again the launch from 2013 was terrible and I said to myself then if I'm ever going to get a new console I'll probably get a PS4. Then again I said I'm not too bothered with either of them as I thought the newly released games were terrible at the time and I didn't play my 360 enough anymore with working full time etc. to justify getting a new console.

Now, I'm thinking I'll get a new one and get back to playing a bit more. I see there is a lot more PS4's sold than XB1. Something like 40 million PS4's to XB1's 25 million (correct?). But the XB1S looks class, seems to be selling well and I'd be sticking with Xbox.

Another few points are I still have a few friends who play online a bit and they are on XB1. I've only like 1 or 2 friends with PS4's and they rarely play.

I certainly won't be playing anywhere near the amount I used to years ago and to be honest it will just be new FIFA games, Call of Duty games and maybe the other odd sports or other action game.

Also note I'd probably use it for Netflix and maybe throwing a few films on it from a USB. I read Xbox is better for entertainment. True?

Can you guys convince me to stay with Xbox please!? Convince me the PS4 pro will be no use to me. Convince me the PS VR will be no use to me.

Also. If I was to get an XB1S. I see presently the best bundles with FIFA are a 500gb for €299.99. Smyths however have a 1TB with an extra controller and mine craft and FIFA for €379.99. Would it be better to splash the extra €80 even though I wouldn't have many people over playing 2 player games and even though I probably wouldn't be playing more than 2-3 games at any time so wouldn't need the space. Or would it be nice to have it anyway than be looking for it in say a year or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

EA Access!!
    For about €25 a year you get, I think 10 free games, I could be wrong, as well as discount on newer EA Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

EA Access!!
    For about €25 a year you get, I think 10 free games, I could be wrong, as well as discount on newer EA Games.

Jays. It's all money now, isn't it.

I remember you just got the console and the new games had everything or you played to unlock.

Even with the 360 it was only the later stages it all became DLC content. I didn't like having to pay to play online but back in 2007 when I had my 3mb Eircom connection it ran very smooth most of the time. My friends on PS3 were always complaining though and not many of them even bothered to play online.

So different now. I feel like a dinosaur when it comes to gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

chops018 wrote: »

Hi all,

I immediately loved it and loved the joypad. I still do love it and I still play a bit of the old Call of Duty games online from time to time. When Call of Duty 4 and Modern Wardare 2 were out I was still in college and I was addicted.

Right now I am thinking it's time to upgrade and l hopefully I'll get 3 ish years before they force a new console on us. Which I'd be happy with.

The immediate thought is stick with Microsoft. But then again the launch from 2013 was terrible and I said to myself then if I'm ever going to get a new console I'll probably get a PS4. Then again I said I'm not too bothered with either of them as I thought the newly released games were terrible at the time and I didn't play my 360 enough anymore with working full time etc. to justify getting a new console.

Now, I'm thinking I'll get a new one and get back to playing a bit more. I see there is a lot more PS4's sold than XB1. Something like 40 million PS4's to XB1's 25 million (correct?). But the XB1S looks class, seems to be selling well and I'd be sticking with Xbox.

Another few points are I still have a few friends who play online a bit and they are on XB1. I've only like 1 or 2 friends with PS4's and they rarely play.

I certainly won't be playing anywhere near the amount I used to years ago and to be honest it will just be new FIFA games, Call of Duty games and maybe the other odd sports or other action game.

Also note I'd probably use it for Netflix and maybe throwing a few films on it from a USB. I read Xbox is better for entertainment. True?

Can you guys convince me to stay with Xbox please!? Convince me the PS4 pro will be no use to me. Convince me the PS VR will be no use to me.

Also. If I was to get an XB1S. I see presently the best bundles with FIFA are a 500gb for €299.99. Smyths however have a 1TB with an extra controller and mine craft and FIFA for €379.99. Would it be better to splash the extra €80 even though I wouldn't have many people over playing 2 player games and even though I probably wouldn't be playing more than 2-3 games at any time so wouldn't need the space. Or would it be nice to have it anyway than be looking for it in say a year or so.

Will you just make up your mind :D:D:D

What ever you do decide have a look for deals in the UK now with the Euro strengthening against the Pound.

emmetkenny wrote: »

What ever you do decide have a look for deals in the UK now with the Euro strengthening against the Euro.

Ha I know. I've been wrecking so many people's heads. Including yours recently. Sorry!

Will do. In Ireland Symths seems to be the best at the moment. Can't see it changing too much price wise as the S will be out until at least this time next year so it will be just games with bundles changing.

Really have to sort myself out and just buy one. It's gonna be much of a muchness really. Xbox has the edge in that when the new COD and COD4 remastered comes out ill be able to play it online with a few of the lads as they will be getting it so should be a bit of fun for a few months.

Back of my mind I keep thinking of PS VR. But I keep trying to tell myself I won't spend the €400 for it and that it won't be that good for a year or so anyway so I'm missing nothing for a while.

I have to be the most indecisive person over this! Dunno why I can't stick with Xbox and be happy ha.

emmetkenny wrote: »

What ever you do decide have a look for deals in the UK now with the Euro strengthening against the Euro.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Wait a few weeks, something tells me there will be some offers coming out soon for the One S and then there is the Black Friday sale, granted not for another month but your sure to get a good deal from that.
    Amazon is your friend also :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My advice is always to get what your friends have. That's the simple version anyway.

The more complicated version is that I actually think the Xbox One S would suit you more. I believe that it's had the better exclusives this generation, it's had more updates to it's core functionality with things like Xbox 360 Backward Compatibility, and it's recent LFG and clubs update,

An Xbox One S, plus EA Access, which has 31 games in the vault, including most of the EA sports games, should do you perfectly.

If you've got an Xbox Live Subscription already, then I hope that you've been getting the free games with gold over the last couple of years?

Hi all,

Just had a quick look on Smyths UK site and the 500GB version with Fifa, Minecraft and Extra controller is £269 or €299 using Revolut.

The same bundle is €340 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I'd be inclined to go One S if I was in your position.

I had the PS3 and was fully intent on going PS4, but at the time I went to make the purchase the Xbox One bundles on sale were better value for money, and so I made the jump and do not regret it. I too had misgivings about all the original launch comments on the One, but Microsoft quickly rowed back from that!

From reading your comments this is why I think you'd be better going Xbox.
    1) You have stated a preference for the Xbox controller;
    2) You already have a 360, chances are a lot of the games you own will be backwards compatible and therefore playable on the One;
    3) Your mates have Xbox Ones so you are set up for online play with them.
    4) The games you have mentioned as being interested in are cross platform so it makes no difference which console you buy.
    5) You expressed an interest in using the console as a media centre, the Xbox is better for this purpose than PS4 as far as I am aware.

In terms of whether or not to go for the 1TB bundle. Alot of people use external drives to up the storage capacity of the console, chances are if you buy a 500GB system and in a while find yourself wanting more storage you'll spend at least that 80 quid buying a good external hard drive. Also, if you won't use the second controller sell it to CEX or on adverts and you'll probably get 40 quid or so for it meaning the upgrade will only cost you 40 quid extra in real terms. So if that extra few quid isn't gonna hurt you, why not pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

One interesting bonus of having XBox is the integration with Windows 10, if you own a PC that has it.
    I find myself sending messages to my son through the XBox app, and he gets them whether he's playing on the 'Bone, or at his PC, or even while he's watching TV or Netflix, and even on his phone!

• Advertisement

Wait a few weeks, something tells me there will be some offers coming out soon for the One S and then there is the Black Friday sale, granted not for another month but your sure to get a good deal from that.
    Amazon is your friend also :)

I thought Black Friday here isn't great, as in it's only a few quid off and not much worth talking about. Or am I wrong? When is it btw? If potential to be a saving of €100 or more then I'd wait but I'd like to get playing FIFA. Then stuck into the new COD next month when it's out.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies so far.

Embarrassingly I wasn't never aware of all this content from EA. Even on the 360. What kind of games can you get from it? As is evident. I'm certainly not a hardcore gamer. But I do always like to have a console there and enjoy games like COD and FIFA, just wouldn't be up to date with all this new stuff that can be done or got.

Games in the Vault for Xbox One[edit]

1 Battlefield 4
    2 Madden NFL 25
    3 FIFA 14
    4 Peggle 2
    5 Need for Speed Rivals
    6 Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
    7 EA Sports UFC
    8 NBA Live 15
    9 Madden NFL 15
    10 NHL 15
    11 FIFA 15
    12 Titanfall
    13 Dragon Age: Inquisition
    14 Battlefield Hardline
    15 Madden NFL 16
    16 Plants vs. Zombies
    17 NHL 16
    18 Dead Space
    19 FIFA 16
    20 Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
    21 NBA Live 16
    22 Need for Speed
    23 Unravel
    24 SSX
    25 Plants vs. Zombies
    26 Bejeweled 2
    27 Bejeweled 3
    28 Feeding Frenzy
    29 Feeding Frenzy 2
    30 Heavy Weapon
    31 Zuma

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Ea Access is only on the Xbox One not the 360.

Basically you'll get the last 2 or 3 years of all the sports sims. A 10 hour full game free trail of most of their new releases the week before it goes on sale and 10% off the purchase of new digital games.

Black Friday can be hit and miss. Argos 9/10 times do the best console bundles, though right now seems to be the 1/10 time! If you can hold off closer to Christmas their console deals get really good.

So if I get EA access I can download and play all them games for free (well, free apart from the EA access fee).

Also, can I keep my gamertag from my 360?

So if I get EA access I can download and play all them games for free (well, free apart from the EA access fee).

Also, can I keep my gamertag from my 360?

Yes to both.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I thought Black Friday here isn't great, as in it's only a few quid off and not much worth talking about. Or am I wrong? When is it btw? If potential to be a saving of €100 or more then I'd wait but I'd like to get playing FIFA. Then stuck into the new COD next month when it's out.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies so far.

Embarrassingly I wasn't never aware of all this content from EA. Even on the 360. What kind of games can you get from it? As is evident. I'm certainly not a hardcore gamer. But I do always like to have a console there and enjoy games like COD and FIFA, just wouldn't be up to date with all this new stuff that can be done or got.

You are correct, it's a bit pish in Ireland, BUT Amazon on the other hand can be fantastic. And with the Sterling and Euro on the way to parity (or at least very close) there hasn't been a better time this decade to upgrade. Revolut is your friend there.

As far as picking a console goes- it is my opinion that although the PS4 started strong out of the gate, Xbox will ultimately win out this generation, especially given the Xbox One S, Ea Access, Games with Gold, a much sturdier online platform, integration with Windows 10 etc.

Advertisement