Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance claim indemnified, still on claims summary sheet

• 07-10-2016 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a weirdly specific question, and I'm not having much luck finding out information about it. I am, of course, going to call my broker and insurance company, but I'd just like to have all my info to hand before I do.

In summary:
    • In 2012, bought a house and took up home insurance
    • In 2013, had a house fire, extensive damage
    • Spent the next 2 years dealing with a bunch of fallout from this
    • At this point, after much back and forth, my claim is closed, and everything settled

The thing which confuses me is this: my fire was caused by my faulty dishwasher. My insurance company essentially took legal action against my dishwasher manufacturer to recoup their expenses from paying for my house. My dishwasher company settled before going to court, and my insurance company was completely paid back for my claim. It is my understanding that the claim was indemnified (though I am confused about what precisely this means).

So in essence, my insurance company has incurred no loss through my fire, as they passed this loss off to my dishwasher company. However, this year, when my renewal documents arrived from my broker, the full amount of the fire claim is listed under the "claims" section of my summary.

So my questions are:
    1. Should this still be listed as a claim at all?
    2. Shouldn't the amount for this claim be 0, even if it does have to still be listed?

I know this is an odd situation, which is probably why I'm having such trouble finding information about it, and I also am not looking for legally binding advice or anything like that, but has anyone else had a similar situation? Or could explain to me ifI'm wrong in my thinking that the claim amount should be 0 or that it should be not listed? I am concerned that this claim sitting on my record is going to prevent me from getting reasonable premiums or moving insurers, even though it wasn't my fault (and the dishwasher company legally said so).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If your insurance company recovered the FULL cost of the claim, it should be listed as €0. You must declare the incident to potential insurers going forward, but it shouldn't have any effect

Indemnified means to secure compensation for financial loss, if that helps. In this instance, the wrongdoer (dishwasher people) were rightfully left with the bill for your damage. If the fire was just an accident, there would be nobody for your insurer to seek indemnity FROM but would have just indemnified YOU as a benefit under the policy you bought. Sorry if I'm unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

zenbuffy wrote: »
    So my questions are:
    1. Should this still be listed as a claim at all?
    2. Shouldn't the amount for this claim be 0, even if it does have to still be listed?
    )

It would still need to be listed as a claim as it did occur but it should not effect future insurance and your no claims bonus should not be effected by the incident, would ask broker for your NCB and make sure no effect here.

Technically the claim may never be listed as €0 as your Insurer may have incurred fees at their expense such as Loss Adjustor/fire forensics/soliciotors that the dishwasher Insurers deemed unnecessary and will not refund. These costs however are professional fees and should not effect you NCB either, you should have got a breakdown of all payments once your claim was closed so would ask broker for this also.

Advertisement