Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal classes- are they worth going to?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just a quick question on antenatal classes, what is generally covered in the public ones (CUMH) and are they really worth it? Hospital have me booked in for two half days (during the day time)

My sister in law was saying a lot of the stuff covered is basic enough, breathing tips, epidurals and that the midwives in hospital tell you what to do during labour!!?? They seem to have prepared a doc as well covered most (I would imagine) of what is discussed on the day http://www.cuh.hse.ie/Cork-University-Maternity-Hospital/Preparing-For-Birth-and-Parenthood-Guide.pdf

Also I know time off is allowed from work for medical visits connected with pregnancy, does this include antenatal classes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Not really qualified to comment on them by any stretch but my feeling would be that, like most public health education initiatives, they would be designed to cater for the lowest common denominator. You could probably learn far more by doing your own reading and research and viewing youtube demos and tutorials published by reputable, credible sources. All for free too and at a time of your choosing. You'll lack the social side though and the chance to familiarise yourself witht he hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

We did not do the public class, opting for a gentlebirth workshop instead which was great. I do feel like you miss out on not seeing the maternity unit before labour though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We did a one day private one and I did the hospital ones.
    It was a waste of time and in the case of the private one money. Midwives were a bit patronising and very into 'this is what will happen' rather than empowering women to play an active role in the birth.
    Then I ended up with sections so all the stuff on the 'rules' around labour and birth were irrelevant. I learned more from some FB groups, especially one for prochoice parents, about the whole process.
    If anyone is wondering what the unit is like, have a look at any documentary where women give birth. They're pretty similar, apart from the odd one with the more touchy feely pools and ropes to hang off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I did the ones in the NMH when I was pregnant with #1, I think they were worth the trip.
    The bit about pain relief is all that I remember!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

lazygal wrote: »
    It was a waste of time and in the case of the private one money. .

I genuinely thought the gentlebirth workshop was very empowering. And I think hospitals are changing quite a lot in their attitudes in recent years, at least I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I'm a first time mother with a 6 month old - I didn't end up doing any antenatal classes at all, just did a bit of googling as and when a query came up. And I was totally fine :) I found everything was very well explained at each stage of the process during labour, didn't feel like I was missing out by not having all that knowledge beforehand or anything!

fits wrote: »
    I genuinely thought the gentlebirth workshop was very empowering. And I think hospitals are changing quite a lot in their attitudes in recent years, at least I hope so.

I think Gentle birth is probably a bit different to be fair.
    I had my two in Holles St. The staff were a very mixed bag. It was fine, but not amazing or world class. I knew I'd be having a section first time but the antenatal class midwife told me to wait and see, I would probably have a normal birth. Not particularly helpful. I've heard mixed reports about most maternity hospitals at this stage.

It should also be remembered there's no entitlement to the same level of consent for pregnant women due to the eighth amendment. Pregnant women are treated differently to others in hospitals when it comes to procedures during pregnancy, labour and birth so sometimes this will affect your ability to birth as you would choose. I think antenatal classes need to inform women of this fact and the restrictions it imposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I did them in holles street. They were ok but you could learn more by reading on the net or a book, and a lot quicker. They midwives were very nice. The best bit was I learned where to check in, what happens to your bag, I saw the labour room- basic but practical. You won't miss a huge amount if you don't do them. All the question and answers sessions are about the epidural!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We did a private one in Cork before the birth of my first. I was glad we did it. was a lot of it stuff I knew already or could have researched myself? yes, but it consolidated things for my husband. The midwife covered a lot of practical things like what happens when you arrive in labour, what happens in the case of induction/c section etc. All the other stuff that was covered was stages of labour/pain relief/breathing/diet/what to pack etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I did them I'm Holles street and found them beneficial! Was good to see the delivery suite beforehand too! I also learned things about their active labour policy I wouldn't have known otherwise! Also very important if your are planning on breast feeding is to go to a breast feeding class i found it invaluable and put the success I had down to the fact that I felt well prepared regarding positions tips for latching etc

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I did them in NMH I found them worthwhile. My husband came to some of them with me and he learned a lot and had a better idea of what to expect. As far as I know you're entitled to time off work for them. I know some people at mine were getting letters for work to show they attended, my work place didn't require that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I had one last week, very very basic and didn't learn anything new, so won't bother with anymore, besides am almost due so sitting for 2hrs late evening when I'm already half asleep isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We did a one day one with the MLU in OLOL on our first. It was mediocre from what I remember. There wasn't very much detail on what choices were available to you, there was nothing that wasn't on the hospital literature that we'd already been given. They did show us a video of an actual birth in the unit but to be honest, instead of being reassuring, it put the fear of god into me. Himself wasn't too impressed with it either lol. We won't be going to one this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

This is the thing I've been debating with myself the last two weeks. I'm attending NMH and they do their classes over 5 / 6 weeks. I'm a little fed up already going in and out to the hospital that I don't know if I fancy another 5 / 6 trips in. Especially over the winter and Christmas. Plus the parking is expensive. They are all during the day. I get the time off but my husband won't. I'm pretty sure I know all I need to know so think it would only really benefit him.

They do provide evening classes once a week but they are €80! I think that's a joke. I looked into booking a private course done over one day and the cheapest I can find is €160. So I don't think I'm going to bother to be honest. Anyone I have asked said they weren't great.

I really want to breastfeed so I am going to book a private class just on breastfeeding. As for the rest - I think I'll learn as I go. When I'm in labour I'm not going to care if I've seen the labour ward before or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Dream star I completely know what you mean. I found the manual from CUMH of what they run through so I've read it from cover to cover (& sent it to Hubbie for reading) also have gentle birth books and others so hoping to not go to classes now. I'll go to the breastfeeding class.

Here is the manual http://www.cuh.hse.ie/Cork-University-Maternity-Hospital/Preparing-For-Birth-and-Parenthood-Guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

I'm a control freak so did a one day private class, the Coombe public class and a natural birth workshop!

They were all quite good, but I felt that the two private ones opened my eyes to the options available, the ability to request the labour and (non) intervention and that moving around is normal. It was more about empowering myself and my partner instead of sitting back and being afraid to challenge what was happening.

Am happy to recommend either of the courses by pm if you're in the Dublin area.

if people are not going to the classes I would recommend making yourself familiar with the hospital policies. For example i didn't know before i did the class that it is the NMH's policy to artificially break your waters on arrival to the delivery suite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

This is exactly it, you may be well informed about birth and pain relief and what not, but not with the hospital policies.
    I attended the Gentlebirth workshop, which I thought was great, especially since it involved the partners and their role and how they can help. Then attended the hospital full day antenatal class. It was good to be already informed about what I would prefer vs what the hospital policies might be. I also thought it was a good idea so that we could see the layout of the labour ward, the labour room and the labour pool/bath.
    Admittedly there were a few ladies there that had no clue, so it does cater to people who would just come in and allow the hospital to educate them instead. I also thought it was useful to meet the midwives and get a vibe off them for their view on different labour options, e.g. for the most part they were very open to hypno and gentlebirth, said they encourage mobility in labour, use of the bath and different positions. However, they were against women in labour having food or breathing the baby out. Coached pushing still seems to be a thing, but if all's going well, they are open to not interfering too.

Jen44 wrote: »
    if people are not going to the classes I would recommend making yourself familiar with the hospital policies. For example i didn't know before i did the class that it is the NMH's policy to artificially break your waters on arrival to the delivery suite!

And you can refuse this too. I declined several interventions in NMH, they were a bit taken aback but they respected my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

To be honest a lot of the most useful information I learned at the antenatal classes wasn't so much what was being taught, it was answers to questions that people asked. These were people (myself included) who appeared to have done their own research and wanted clarification on how things were done specifically in that hospital.

agree found that invaluable too! The people in the class had great questions and it was brilliant to hear the responses some of which would surprise you!

Advertisement