Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goose season?

• 07-10-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi gents,is there a time of year that geese can be shot.or are the protected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On right now,depends on where you live in Ireland.IE down the slob lands in Wexford there are certain parts that are off limits,but it goes ASFIK to Mid Oct all over the 26.Way too mild yet for waterfowl .Need a Wintert storm to get them moving.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    On right now,depends on where you live in Ireland.IE down the slob lands in Wexford there are certain parts that are off limits,but it goes ASFIK to Mid Oct all over the 26.Way too mild yet for waterfowl .Need a Wintert storm to get them moving.

thanks,its just a mate of mine seen some come to a field not far for lough derg near him,so he can shoot away then when they fly over him?he said they are greylags or greylegs, if im pronouncing it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

We have a season guide pinned to the top of the forum. Post #3

Things can change, but for the most part this is accurate enough each year.

Deer
    • 1st September to 31st December. - Stags, Antlered Deer.
    • 1st November to 28th February. - Females, Antlerless deer.
    Hares
    • 26th September to 28th February
    Wildbird
    • Red Grouse - 1st September to 30th September
    • Mallard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Teal - 1st September to 31st January
    • Tufted Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Jack Snipe - 1st September to 31st January
    • Golden Plover - 1st September to 31st January
    • Gadwall - 1st September to 31st January
    • Wigeon - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pintail - 1st September to 31st January
    • Shovellor - 1st September to 31st January
    • Scaup - 1st September to 31st January
    • Pochard - 1st September to 31st January
    • Goldeneye - 1st September to 31st January
    • Ruddy Duck - 1st September to 31st January
    • Red Legged Partridge - 1st November to 31st January
    • Cock Pheasant - 1st November to 31st January
    • Woodcock - 1st November to 31st January
    • Canadian Geese (Countrywide) - 1st September to 15th October
    • Canadian Geese (Cavan and Leitrim Only) Excluding Eonish Island, Rinn, Deramfield, and the River Shannon - 16th October to 31st January.
    • Greylag Geese - 1st Spetember to 15th October
    • Greylag Geese. (Lady's Island, Co. Wexford and Gearagh East & Gearagh West in Cork only) - 16th October to 31st January
    • Wood Pigeon - 1st November to 31st January
    Vermin (all year round)
    • Fox
    • Rabbit
    • Muntjac
    • Grey squirrel
    • Mink
    • Feral Goats
    Under Derogation (Otherwise Season runs 1st November to 31st January)
    • Grey Crows
    • Magpies
    • Pigeon
    • Feral Pigeon
    • Rooks
    • Jackdaws
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

just make sue where they are landing isnt protected as a lot of places where geese like to stop off happenes to be protected areas.. there is a few near me..

• Advertisement

daithi55 wrote: »
    just make sue where they are landing isnt protected as a lot of places where geese like to stop off happenes to be protected areas.. there is a few near me..

thanks for that,he is not shooting at them where they are landing,they are coming to a cut corn field,and he is waiting till they rise and fly over his permission,seems they fly the same way each day,anyhow he got 2 yesterday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

lovely stuff i hope they taste better than the one i shot last year it was like chewing a boot

daithi55 wrote: »
    lovely stuff i hope they taste better than the one i shot last year it was like chewing a boot

ha ha maybe you did not cook it long enough,he rang me this mourning,said he got 2 more,he is giving me one,ill let you know how it tastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks,its just a mate of mine seen some come to a field not far for lough derg near him,so he can shoot away then when they fly over him?he said they are greylags or greylegs, if im pronouncing it right.
    Better make sure he is able to identify them as Greylags and not endangered Greenland white fronted Geese or Pink footed geese.

Better make sure he is able to identify them as Greylags and not endangered Greenland white fronted Geese or Pink footed geese.

ya they are defo greylags,he is going after more today,getting in a great bit of shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

I'd love to go goose shooting sometime if I knew a place where they came to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

sniperman wrote: »
    ya they are defo greylags,he is going after more today,getting in a great bit of shooting

Tell ya mate t chill man. He's gotten four already. Is he trying t wipe em out altogether? Still plenty of time left in season. Shooting em all now and the season is over then. Spread it out dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tell ya mate t chill man. He's gotten four already. Is he trying t wipe em out altogether? Still plenty of time left in season. Shooting em all now and the season is over then. Spread it out dude

That post was back in October when the season was still active, it's closed now in the majority of the country so there's no worries.

trying to spread four between a family of ten is quite hard when everyone wanted one,he got seven before season ended,he said he will start again first opening day next year,and his aim is 20:eek:

Advertisement