Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser or PostFX currency Card in Newry

• 07-10-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are going up to Newry soon to do a mega shop, xmas shop etc and take advantage of the low sterling rate.

My question is, what is the best way for us to pay for it all? I have a PostFX currency card from the post office, so I was going to top it up. If I used my irish laser card (visa debit PTSB) up there will I be charged for doing so, or will the exchange rate differ much?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Thefact

I can't recommend the best card to use but I would recommend taking some euro with you as some of the shops are already offering 1/eur to 1/gbp and more will closer to xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Neither of those.

PTSB will charge you the official Visa Exchange rate (see here) plus 1.75% (min €0.46 and max €11.43) on each transaction.

AnPost claims "no exchange fee's" but the rate they offer you is very bad.

You might want to look into Revolut (see the big thread on boards).

Let's say you charge 100£ today on each of those cards, here is what you pay at this moment:

PTSB 113.59 €
    AnPost 114.23 €
    Revolut 110.60 €

So you see that AnPost is going to cost you way more than revolut (3.63€), yes it's a nice card if you want to have a quick £ card that you can pre-load but since Revolut has come out it's no longer the best option for that.

Now obviously the exchange rate's are going to change quite drastically until you shop you it's up to you to decide what to use.

If you require pre-loading because you want to know what to spend both revolut and AnPost are an option (the last more expensive), if you just want to get the rate that is valid on the day, PTSB and Revolut with Revolut still cheaper (2.99€) in this example.

But as thefact states, take € because some shops might offer great cash rates.

AnPost and Revolut are great if you have a € budget and what to know how many £ you can spend in advance.

Advertisement