Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name suggestion?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Looking for some baby band inspiration, names for both boys and girls and also unisex names. I like unusual and uncommon names. Thanks in advance 😬

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love Elodie,Caoimhe,Aisling,Laoise,Dearbhail,,Eloise,Alannah,Lara,Zoe,Áine,Ciara,Róisín,Róisé,Abigail,Arabella,Ava,Callista,Iseult,Chloe,Siún.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My faves for a future baba are Alice, Amelie, Madeleine, Maya, Kate, Clara, Elsie and Faye. For boys Noah, Harry, Isaac, William, Josh, Charlie, Elliott and Liam.
    Choosing is so hard, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

My two favourites at the moment would be Bodhi for a boy and Freya for a girl. Also like Amelia, Emme, Reece, Cooper...best of luck with the decision making...I don't envy you

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

My wife and I got inspiration for our sons name from our favourite movie, Jaws. Cheif Martin Brody was the hero so we called him Brody. It really suits him and isn't too commonly heard.
    What's your favourite show or movie? Maybe you could choose a name from one of the characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Try a website called nymbler.com. You enter up to six names you like and it will generate suggestions for either gender based on the style of name. It is pretty intuitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

If its twins you can't go wrong with Tarzan & Jane, alas I was overruled on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You could try choosing names based on things you like.

Countries.... Italo, Franz (or Frank,) Turk, Scott.
    Or personal qualities... These used to be common but very unusual nowadays!
    -- Patience, Verity, Steadfast.

Or things that you just find attractive : Star, Oak, Shield, (or Buckler) Sky, Zodiac, Hart, King, Dragon or Draco, (Roy or Royal) Queenie.

Choosing names is one special privilege of parenthood: it is a responsibility, too. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've always thought Ophelia was a beautiful name. Its also the little girl from Pans Labyrinth which is one of my favourite movies.

Mrs STN ain't too keen though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dice75 wrote: »
    If its twins you can't go wrong with Tarzan & Jane, alas I was overruled on the matter.

nah Ann and Barry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Moonbeam wrote: »
    nah Ann and Barry ;)

Rosie and Jim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Kanye or Kim are great names I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I've always thought Ophelia was a beautiful name. Its also the little girl from Pans Labyrinth which is one of my favourite movies.

Mrs STN ain't too keen though.

And the name of an excellent 1970's song by The Band

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

It's really tough trying to choose!
    We have a Luke and a Harriet and are struggling to pick one for number three. I love James, Thomas, Lillian, Olivia and Alice. It's difficult to settle on something that isn't too common but not a strange madey-uppy name either.

Girl twins - Caramel and Vanilla. For triplets add Cinnamon.

Boy twins... You could try Damon and Pythias. (Orthodox saints)
    ... but do not be tempted by the Heavenly Twins, Castor and Pollux ;-)

katemarch wrote: »
    Girl twins - Caramel and Vanilla. For triplets add Cinnamon.

They could be strippers with them names!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

If it's a boy......Fielding (After Woody Allen in Bananas)
    If it's a girl.......Dora (Just because)
    You are welcome :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,068 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Eriniya
    Yasmine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're not into non stupid sounding names, I'd suggest Prattley for a boy and Fagoogoo for a girl.

I always regret clicking into baby names threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

sullivk wrote:
    It's really tough trying to choose! We have a Luke and a Harriet and are struggling to pick one for number three. I love James, Thomas, Lillian, Olivia and Alice. It's difficult to settle on something that isn't too common but not a strange madey-uppy name either.

James or Olivia imo

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Finn and Belle are my future baby names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Finn and Belle are my future baby names
    Put those together and you could name an as yet undiscovered cetacean.

gumbo1 wrote: »
    They could be strippers with them names!!

Not at all...spice girls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Go for a phonetic name, one that's not too difficult to spell, not too long, and maybe one that travels ...

Choose a neme with a meaning that suits your ideals, and don't just choose a name because its catchy or popular at this moment in time. Also check the initlals between the childs 1st name, middle name, and surname. You don't want initials like S.A.P, P.I.G or T.I.T :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

A good way to test a name is the backdoor test: Open the back door, yell the name of choice 3 times. If you feel stupid after that, you might pick another one.

We settled for Fiona if girl, Shane if boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

Jacintha

LirW wrote: »
    A good way to test a name is the backdoor test: Open the back door, yell the name of choice 3 times. If you feel stupid after that, you might pick another one.

We settled for Fiona if girl, Shane if boy.

The lady in my wifes pre natal classes told us to go around the corner yo the ilac centre, stand in the middle of it and call the name out loud. If ya don't like it it's not the name. I had visions of 15 women heading around and doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

gumbo1 wrote: »
    The lady in my wifes pre natal classes told us to go around the corner yo the ilac centre, stand in the middle of it and call the name out loud. If ya don't like it it's not the name. I had visions of 15 women heading around and doing it!

No joke, I did that with my dog's name.

Advertisement