Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coil builders: What's your favourite wire?

• 07-10-2016 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to vary my coils up a bit, as all I really use nowadays are RTA/RBA. I've made the move from Kanthal to SS wire, I use SS on all my current builds. But, fancy something a little more adventurous. The fanciest wire I've used to date was your bog standard kanthal clapton. I mostly do 25g 317L 9-10 wraps around a 3mm bit. I get between 0.3 - 0.4 usually [bit lower if I'm not paying attention counting the wraps!]

What do you lot use most? What resistance do you prefer your coils to end up? and how many wraps and what ID to get there?

I don't plan on making my own fused clapton or anything, just want some good ready rolled stuff to play around with.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

You can get SS Clapton's and twisted too.

Me, I like plain Clapton's for larger stuff, and twisted or fused claptons on smaller tanks.

You can get all that alien wire and stuff, but they are best for huge RDAs.

I buy Clapton and twisted Clapton on a roll, then wrap myself.

For tanks that will only take a smaller diameter coil, pre made wrapper ones are a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

moleyv wrote: »
    You can get SS Clapton's and twisted too.

Me, I like plain Clapton's for larger stuff, and twisted or fused claptons on smaller tanks.

You can get all that alien wire and stuff, but they are best for huge RDAs.

I buy Clapton and twisted Clapton on a roll, then wrap myself.

For tanks that will only take a smaller diameter coil, pre made wrapper ones are a good choice.

I have a little coil kit that makes nice tidy coils, prefer to wrap them myself too. Some of the pre-made ones look to have very short legs, might be a bit fiddly?

SS fused Clapton sounds good, what grade should I look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'm trying out some of the demon killer violence coils,some interesting wraps and builds

I'm trying out some of the demon killer violence coils,some interesting wraps and builds

Will look them up, never heard

Will look them up, never heard

Think they are only new out,theyve got the alien v2,tsuka,clapception,staple staggered fused Clapton,spaced Clapton,tri-twisted Clapton and framed clapton

• Advertisement

Think they are only new out,theyve got the alien v2,tsuka,clapception,staple staggered fused Clapton,spaced Clapton,tri-twisted Clapton and framed clapton

Ah I knew there would be a bunch of confusing names for them :D I see they have packs on the likes of 3fvape

Ah I knew there would be a bunch of confusing names for them :D I see they have packs on the likes of 3fvape

Clapception :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

This is a good resource. I normally just stuck to 22 gauge kanthal, maybe 7 wraps around a 3mm bit. Always leaves me at 0.47-0.51. Just recently starting making my own claptons with 28 gauge wrapped around the 22. Makes no difference to the resistance but need bigger watts to get it up to temperature

That's a great site yeah, but it can be tricky if using fancier wires.

I switched to SS so I could flick between power mode and TC anytime, it's the only wire that allows that. I also think SS wire gives a slightly cleaner vape experience, ramp up times are a tad quicker and if you're a flavour chaser like me, it's good for making wider coils. I think it's pretty much double the wraps you'd use with kanthal to achieve similar results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

That sounds pretty deadly actually. I never really looked into different types of wire to be honest, always just assumed it was mostly a gimmick.

I always found 7 wraps to be fairly skinny for the TFV4 rba, wouldn't mind beefing that up but staying at the same resistance

Do all claptons use kanthal for the wrapped bit?

• Advertisement

You can get SS fused Clapton, resistance is going to be very low though, even with a lot of wraps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I have a little coil kit that makes nice tidy coils, prefer to wrap them myself too. Some of the pre-made ones look to have very short legs, might be a bit fiddly?

SS fused Clapton sounds good, what grade should I look for?

I always find the premade ones have long enough legs, never had an issue anyway.

I forgot to check the grade. I think I just picked a random one. I use it all the time on my kayfunv5 in TC. And used to use it in my aromamiser supreme.

You need a decent mod to use it in TC though, dual only worked on my dna200.

Fine on anything in wattage.

I've a huge selection of wire but none with me for a few days, I normally get it in 3fvape. I use the geekvape, vapethink and some other one I can't remember the name of. The one I can't remember does crazy stuff like hive wire and all that in rolls.

The gauge is a balls to work out on steam engine. I normally go trial and error as all the stats you need for steam engine aren't normally on the packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Been thinking of making the move from Kanthal to SS myself too recently, the flavour chaser never dies in me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I bought these coils a couple of months ago to try them out,curiosity got to me,they all have decent enough leg lengths on them & work pretty good.Each coil specifies what the resistance is per coil,for newbies,if you use 2 of the same coils,the resistance for dual coils is half the resistance it says on the coil box.

http://e-smokeireland.com/product/demon-killer-8-in-1/

I bought these coils a couple of months ago to try them out,curiosity got to me,they all have decent enough leg lengths on them & work pretty good.Each coil specifies what the resistance is per coil,for newbies,if you use 2 of the same coils,the resistance for dual coils is half the resistance it says on the coil box.

http://e-smokeireland.com/product/demon-killer-8-in-1/

Are they all kanthal coils? it doesn't give the wire types used

I know there are some SS coils,I'll have a look & let you know & the resistance of them.

All of them are Kanthal,it was another box that I read SS 316L Alien coils...

All of them are Kanthal,it was another box that I read SS 316L Alien coils...

Cheers for the info. Looks a nice set, but I do like SS for switching between modes when I fancy. I might chance a spool of fused clapton and mess about with some different ID and wrap amounts

Advertisement