Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedge/Sedge pupae.

Options
  • 07-10-2016 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what young sedges before they hatch look like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Can anyone tell me what young sedges before they hatch look like.

Easier just to google images of caddis larvae than to try describe them with words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Easier just to google images of caddis larvae than to try describe them with words.

Actually I would much prefer if someone here that really does know to explain what they look like in Irish river's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It really is easier to look up a googled picture. Head, jaws, six legs near the head and a long segmented soft body like a caterpillar.

I can't find any where I fish. So I am wondering am I looking for the right thing. There used always be plenty of sedges with their cases and tiny stones stuck to them. Or bits of vegetation. Only when I look under stones I can not find any.

If I am correct in identifying sedge pupa then why can't I find any.

• Advertisement

If you can't find any then there's only 2 possibilities really; they're not there where you're looking or you don't know actually know what you're looking for.

Can anyone tell me if fresh water crayfish eat them.

I'd be fairly sure they do but they would have minimal impact on numbers.

What would be considered a lot of crayfish in a river.1 per sq ft,1 per sq yd,1 every yd as you walk the river, so forth.

It depends on the habitat, why?

• Advertisement

You'll often get decent numbers of crayfish on a stretch of water.

Sedges/Caddisfly larvae at this time of year would be tiny.

I have surveyed them and they are not always easy to simply pick up from a stream bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If I am correct in identifying sedge pupa then why can't I find any.

They may be cased caddis, so if you see a small collection of grit/tiny stones stuck to a ruck, there will probably be a caddis larva inside. They can be very small at this time of year. Uncased caddis won't be stuck to rocks if you pick them up - a sweep net with a fine mesh will catch a few if you kick up the bottom. Rocks with weed on them may have some in the weed as well. They look like tiny caterpillars with the legs concentrated near the head end, various dull colours but some species are green and very obvious.

Before there used to be cased sedge pupae under every rock. So many that you would not bother counting them. Same with weeds in the river. Plenty sedges stuck to them. I thought maybe they might not be as visible this time of year for some reason. Virtually no sedges to be seen during the summer evening. Any idea as to the length of their life cycle. I see approximately 1 to 2 Cray fish per sq yard all over the river.Before now I have only ever one live Cray fish now they are everywhere. I would say sedges used to make up a large proportion of the trouts diet.

They have a more, or less, one year life cycle.

So in theory they should All be hatched and a new batch growing for next year.So no sedges would be found with little pebbles stuck to there homes.

So in theory they should All be hatched and a new batch growing for next year.So no sedges would be found with little pebbles stuck to there homes.

Not right now, no.

Not right now, no.

I did not realise that sedges only live for 1year.I am surprised.

Advertisement