Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build

Options
  • 07-10-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to build a new PC for myself.

1. What is your budget? [Around €700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Photography, bit of Gaming/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Possibly

5. Do you need a monitor? [No - I have a LG 24 inch Full HD IPS Monitor 1920 x 1080 with HDMI input ]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [see above and might get a second one to run side by side]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes but I am not knowledgeable in that area]

8. How can you pay? [any method]

9. When are you purchasing? [In next couple of weeks/month]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [I do, based in Kildare Town, have a decent knowledge but haven't done it in years so no point in possibly making a mess of it]

I have a samsung ssd 240gb unused so I can used that as the main drive with windows. I would also like more storage, another hard drive or two due to the size of RAW pictures files.

Thanks
    Eddie

I have a custom built machine at the moment, feel like it is starting to fail on me. Has a core 2 due E8500 and AMD HD Radeon HD 5800 Series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/XQw6BP

Something like this should do you perfect. 50 left over for a case from Amazon UK leaves you right around the 700 mark.

Do the building yourself, I put a similar one together a few months ago with no experience at all and it was actually a lot of fun. Even if you do get stuck anywhere you will get help on here or on YouTube.

Re: overclocking you'd need a z170 board and K processor which will add about 150 to your cost for something that is quite a bit more technical than the build itself, so if you're apprehensive about that part I wouldn't personally bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No need for overclocking at all and from the above list, which is solid, you could also drop the Evo 212 cooler to save €35 euro. The stock intel cooler really is fine for your average build, Evo 212 would be a bit quieter but it's not a huge deal. Difference would cover a GTX1060 6GB, which is decently faster than RX470 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Thanks guys, some great suggestions ideas there. What type of case would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just have a scout on Amazon and see what takes your fancy. Corsair and Phanteks are both solid, Fractal either. I went for a Corsair 100R Silent, does the job nicely. If you want a windowed one with very neat cabling you may want to spend a bit more as it's not the best case for hiding cables.

Worth keeping an eye on Adverts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For medium-high budget & micro-ATX, I think the Silverstone Kublai KL06 can't be beat.

Don't think I'll ever replace this case.

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on what you're after. That's a very well designed case but personally I think it's a bit ugly.

Guys I might order this today, does anybody know if these items are cheaper today? also the motherboard in the list kindly provided by second coming is no longer available, could you recommend another?

Fractal Design Define R5 €105,90*
    Intel Core i5 6500 4x 3.20GHz So.1151 €203,64*
    TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WL450MBit PCIe €24,51*
    500 Watt EVGA 500B Non-Modular 80+ Bronze €41,23*
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Tower Kühler €30,94*
    16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit €91,07*
    MSI Z170A Gaming M3 Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail €136,00*
    6GB MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail) € 329,94*

Comes to just under €1000.
    I am not sure about the gfx card,could maybe go with the 3gb instead?

What do you guys think? any changes ye would make?

6GB GTX1060 is a good bet but I'd probably go for a cheaper model, that's really expensive for a GTX1060. Also, no need for Z170 unless you specifically want certain features, a more basic motherboard will do just fine. Between them you should be able to shave 100 off or put it into a nice keyboard and mouse or even a screen.

• Advertisement

6GB GTX1060 is a good bet but I'd probably go for a cheaper model, that's really expensive for a GTX1060. Also, no need for Z170 unless you specifically want certain features, a more basic motherboard will do just fine. Between them you should be able to shave 100 off or put it into a nice keyboard and mouse or even a screen.

Thanks mate, what motherboard would you suggest? Also I'd like to run dual monitors, would that be an issue with the proposed set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thanks mate, what motherboard would you suggest? Also I'd like to run dual monitors, would that be an issue with the proposed set up?

If you do not go Z170, get basic DDR4-2133 RAM.
    Dual monitors are fine on all graphics cards for general use. Wouldn't recommend trying to game across 2 though.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    If you do not go Z170, get basic DDR4-2133 RAM.
    Dual monitors are fine on all graphics cards for general use. Wouldn't recommend trying to game across 2 though.

Thanks Kiki. Appreciate the advice. I'd like dual monitors for photography work. Not for gaming though

Advertisement