Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presidential Debate No.2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It can't be just me that think he was taking coke before the debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly can't see how anyone thinks Trump did better there. He came across as an absolute crank. He's waffling on about the moderators picking on him, not being given enough time, talking over Clinton and then admits he hadn't even spoken to his running mate about Syria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jayop wrote: »
    She won bigly

Unfortunately it's definitely very close. I think Trump was much much better this time round. Will be interesting to see the polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

oik wrote: »
    I judge mistakes on their likelihood to negatively influence voters, and for my money none of his mistakes reached that threshold.

He said he hasn't talked to his running mate about Syria and disagrees with what he said. That is a massive issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

The guy who never smoked a cigarette or drank a pint in his life.

• Advertisement

I thought it was the other way around. Seemed like her was on beta blockers and they slowly wore off throughout as he started getting more and more mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Honestly can't see how anyone thinks Trump did better there. He came across as an absolute crank. He's waffling on about the moderators picking on him, not being given enough time, talking over Clinton and then admits he hadn't even spoken to his running mate about Syria.

He was just so woefully bad in the first debate that this was a huge improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭oik

He doesn't even drink coffee

I thought it was the other way around. Seemed like her was on beta blockers and they slowly wore off throughout as he started getting more and more mental.

Beta blockers are a good shout

Trump's breathing was very shallow at the beginning, clearly adrenaline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

On a very basic level,

Trump might have talked about groping, but

Bill Clinton is a rapist.

• Advertisement

He said he hasn't talked to his running mate about Syria and disagrees with what he said. That is a massive issue.

Not for voters, who already know they don't agree and don't really talk.

It's a bit of meat that will keep the pundits yapping away but does nothing to move the dial in Clinton's direction.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He was just so woefully bad in the first debate that this was a huge improvement.

I didn't see that, so it could be the case that he did better in this debate than that one, but just by coming across as a half competent person, Clinton easily won that.

I'm sure that the people who were going to vote for Trump before that will still vote for him and the people that were going to vote for Clinton before that will still vote for her, but there's no way that Trump convinced anyone who was undecided to vote for him. Clinton might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

He goes straight to his car and leaves, learnt his lesson from the last debate where he walked through the spin room and dug further holes.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Would have been funny to see that illusive blonde Scandinavian in the audience...

not her, but that Julian Assange chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

On a very basic level,

Trump might have talked about groping, but

Bill Clinton is a rapist.
    Sorry but by that marker, so is Trump.

Either way, disaster of a debate for both candidates and they should equally be ashamed. Like children fighting over a toy - only that toy happens to be the most powerful country in the world.

Trump not having even talked to his VP running mate about possibly the biggest issue of his campaign is likely to get the most negative airplay though. That's unbelievable to put it mildly.

The Clinton campaign is going to get more and more shrill.

They can't believe he has escaped another scandal.

Forget the polls, of polls, of polls, this chart shows who did better today (blue indicates betting odds being reduced/shortened)

Screen_Shot_2016_10_10_at_03_54_48.png

Outside of Stalin's Russia, has there ever been a Presidential candidate who not only threatened but promised to lock up his opponent if he's elected.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Either way, disaster of a debate for both candidates and they should equally be ashamed.

I'll take that as a good sign for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/mtvbananas/status/785313149264080896

We can't say there were no flies on Hillary.

• Advertisement

Outside of Stalin's Russia, has there ever been a Presidential candidate who not only threatened but promised to lock up his opponent if he's elected.

He said he'd enforce the law

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/287884-huge-majority-believes-clinton-either-broke-law-or-made-poor
    The vast majority of Americans believe Hillary Clinton either broke the law or exercised bad judgment by using a private email server that triggered an FBI investigation, according to a new poll.

A full 92 percent of Americans in an Associated Press-GfK poll said that Clinton’s email setup either broke the law or was in “poor judgment.”

A majority said her actions were criminal.

More than a third — 39 percent — claimed that the former secretary of State broke the law intentionally. Another 17 percent claimed that the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee broke the law unintentionally.
    Just 6 percent of respondents gave her a pass on the issue, claiming she did nothing wrong.

The poll results highlight the lingering unease about Clinton’s email server, even after the Justice Department cleared her of legal wrongdoing earlier this month. A separate ABC News/ Washington Post poll from earlier this week found that 56 percent of Americans disapproved of the FBI’s call.

The AP-GfK poll surveyed 1,009 adults from July 7 to 11 and has a margin of error of 3.3 percentage points.

I'll take that as a good sign for Trump.

It's really not, he was quite firmly behind before Friday, and he was miles behind before tonight. He needed to win big, and he didn't.

The biggest story of this is also likely going to be that he has not spoken to his VP running mate about possibly the biggest issue in his whole campaign. And then Trump fans will claim media bias for the media reporting exactly what Trump said.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I remember you! See ya now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/mtvbananas/status/785313149264080896

We can't say there were no flies on Hillary.

She's rotting away folks. Proof. Call it.

Billy86 wrote: »
    The biggest story of this is also likely going to be that he has not spoken to his VP running mate about possibly the biggest issue in his whole campaign.

That's good, because the public already knows the two of them aren't exactly bros.

Forget the polls, of polls, of polls, this chart shows who did better today (blue indicates betting odds being reduced/shortened)

Screen_Shot_2016_10_10_at_03_54_48.png

1/10 the night before Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

All I could think watching this debacle was a halfway competent candidate would have eviscerated these sorry excuses. Moderators were terrible, clearly biased against Trump as also failed to challenge either candidates baloney in any substantive fashion.

1/10 the night before Brexit.

Not when Sunderland was announced in the small hours, then the GBP said a quick hello to $1.30. Even around or just before that time the 'professional poll -bean counting journalists/analysts' were also still calling it 50/1 when the betting exchanges collapsed prices.

Personally I think there needs to be a buzzer of sorts after 2 mins exactly, and mics should automatically shut off 10-15 seconds after that only to be re-activated when the next 2 window slot for that candidate opens again.

Must have been plenty.

What is the allure of Clinton?

I don't see anything

• Advertisement

CNN point out that Hillary did not defend Bill against the claims made by Trump against Bill.

Meghan Kelly is really trying hard to be negative about Trump.

Whoever wins the people may loose some dignity.

Only solution may be get together with Can&Mex, take some chill party pills and proceed with the NAU Besides the Amero dollar has a cool sound to it.

ed830-ameromexico.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

That CNN poll is still minutes away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RobertKK wrote: »
    That CNN poll is still minutes away...

If trump doesn't win every token online poll ills be impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nobody will change their mind on Obama care, millions of Americans are very glad of the coverage it gives them.

Apparently competition will ensure people with disabilities will get cheap private insurance coverage. These companies charge people 20 grand a year if you have pre-existing conditions.

The market will never provide coverage to people like that.

As for the debate, Trump was incredibly poor on the sex tape, unless you think ISIS has some relevance to a video tape from 11 years ago.

Everybody laughed at Trump calling himself a gentleman.

From a low level it got better for Trump, I'd call it a draw.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Trump fared much better here than he did in the first debate, but that in itself is no great feat. Like a raging alcoholic who publicly thrashed a room and pissed themselves the last night, they fared much better this time by only thrashing the room.

Basically, I now find myself impressed by Trump whenever he manages to avoid saying something outrageous. Or whenever he makes one coherent point and shows a minuscule of knowledge on a subject that a presidental candidate should have knowledge on. That's how low he has brought the bar. His whole involvement has sunken American Politics a bit.

That wasn't a debate tonight, that was 90% s**t-flinging contest and 10% obligatory loose reference to the questions posed. It would be very easy to just laugh and turn the TV off and forget about it only for one of these actors will be US President very soon in an increasingly changing and volatile world.

I know it's not the way it works...at all, but out of about 320 million people these are the best two to choose from? Not that the other Republican candidates were ideal, but the GOP really handed this election to Clinton with their nomination of Trump. So many people will end up voting for Clinton, not because they want her as their President, but because they don't want Donald Trump as their President. Any other decent Republican would actually give Clinton a fight in this election and make it more than just a formality on the way to Clinton's inauguration. America is crying for a choice, there is none in this election.

That South Park reference from over 12 years ago has never been more relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Couldn't believe he missed so many openings re: her emails, speeches, actions against women who accused Bill etc. Trump is so ducking scatter brained, it must be maddening working for him.

Clinton has been very poor attacking Trump's compete lack of substance on policy matters. She would More effectively demonstrate his unsuitablility sticking to that than attacking his character.

stankratz wrote: »
    Any other decent Republican would actually give Clinton a fight in this election and make it more than just a formality on the way to Clinton's inauguration.

You think that but time and time again we see decent Republicans get eviscerated by the Democratic leaning media.

Mitt Romney put his dog on the roof of his car in a little box and the media was able to spin that into something that would hurt his poll numbers.

As you can see, Trump has a unique ability to play rope-a-dope with the media.

Any other candidate with half the scandal would be finished by now.

Who won CNN poll.
    Clinton 57%
    Trump 34%

Biased democrat poll say CNN

Better or worse than expected
    Trump
    Better 63%
    Worse 21%
    Same 15%

Clinton
    Better 39%
    Worse 26%
    Same 34%

• Advertisement

You think that but time and time again we see decent Republicans get eviscerated by the Democratic leaning media.

Mitt Romney put his dog on the roof of his car in a little box and the media was able to spin that into something that would hurt his poll numbers.

As you can see, Trump has a unique ability to play rope-a-dope with the media.

Any other candidate with half the scandal would be finished by now.

Good point, he is like the Teflon Don when it comes to the media, nothing seems to stick and he knows how to deal with them. I swear, if "grab her in the p****" and the content of those tapes didn't completely bury him as a candidate, I'm not sure what will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Politifact really are shills.

43d5a23a733413325d5c498a7629e2a9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

I thought Trump won that. He told a lot of lies but Clinton did a bad job calling him out on them. In part that was because he told so many lies on so many different topics in his two minute answers that it would have been impossible for Clinton to address all of them. In addition to his final answer he also gave a very good answer compared to Clinton on healthcare despite his policy on the matter being worse than Obamacare or Clinton's plan.

Although I think he won the debate I think there was a lot of material in there that the Clinton campaign can use to make effective attack ads so in the next few days she could come out the better of the two.

CNN coaching their focus group

This is it.

If this gets out there this network is finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCIub3SmCI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

CNN coaching their focus group

This is it.

If this gets out there this network is finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCIub3SmCI

Is this a 20 second clip of someone who is about to go on live TV being told what question she is gonna be asked? Or have I missed something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭jmcc

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is this a 20 second clip of someone who is about to go on live TV being told what question she is gonna be asked? Or have I missed something?
    What answer to give rather than what question she was going to be asked. It is a problem for CNN if it is genuine.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Trump physically loomed behind Hillary throughout the debate in an attempt to intimidate. He also paced, sniffled, whined and obfuscated. Linus would have given him his blankie. Nurse Jackie would have fed him some valium and vicodin... but perhaps someone else got there first with baby powder.

From the outset, when the candidates' spouses Bill and Melania were announced, the Trump contingent got it wrong when Ivanka and the Drumpf twins marched out alongside #3. Perhaps Melania was reluctant to go out and needed a toe in the rear or Trump family grip at the elbow? After the proceedings, Tiffany (Marla (#2's) daughter) avoided a slobbery kiss from Donny. That was more than a bit yeuch and as telling as Melania's head-tilt to offer her ear when Donald went to embrace her. It must be excruciating for the remaining humans in the tripe tribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what's with the unbelievably scummy choice to put the women accusing Bill Clinton in the front row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but what's with the unbelievably scummy choice to put the women accusing Bill Clinton in the front row?

It shows the kind of women using man he is, women in his mind only there for men to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement