Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Presidential Debate No.2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

oik wrote: »
    You think that but time and time again we see decent Republicans get eviscerated by the Democratic leaning media.

Mitt Romney put his dog on the roof of his car in a little box and the media was able to spin that into something that would hurt his poll numbers.

As you can see, Trump has a unique ability to play rope-a-dope with the media.

Any other candidate with half the scandal would be finished by now.

But he is finished. His party has deserted him. They're focusing on down ticket Republicans. He has his hard line Republican support that would be there if the nominee was an inanimate carbon rod but not much else. Hillary is beating him in the air and will trounce him in the ground war.

He has less support among white people than Mitt Romney.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

CNN coaching their focus group

This is it.

If this gets out there this network is finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCIub3SmCI

What exactly are we supposed to be looking at here?

Who are those people and when was this filmed?

Simply watching the video it appears to be to be a post debate focus group type of thing where the Candidates answer was given and then they were asked what they thought of it..

Clearly if this was filmed before-hand and these people were in the audience that's an issue , but is there any evidence that that is the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is this a 20 second clip of someone who is about to go on live TV being told what question she is gonna be asked? Or have I missed something?

It looks like the reporter tells her to give the "she said America is already great" answer

She says it, they nod and then she actually ask "what resonated with you?" Then your one gives the answer about Hilary saying America is already great

It looks dodgy as ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Trump physically loomed behind Hillary throughout the debate in an attempt to intimidate. He also paced, sniffled, whined and obfuscated. Linus would have given him his blankie. Nurse Jackie would have fed him some valium and vicodin... but perhaps someone else got there first with baby powder.

you could hear the emotion in his voice, but to be fair under the circumstances he held it together for the most part,

i think they released the video too early, Trump could recover from this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

fryup wrote: »

No he couldn't. It's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

a week is a long time in politics....a month is an entirety

a lot could happen till election day, i'm sure Trump's team will have an "exclusive" on Hillary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

^^^^^^^^^^^

a lot could happen till election day, i'm sure Trump's team will have an "exclusive" on Hillary

I'm sure they'll try. It won't work. Trump is unelectable now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

stankratz wrote: »
    Basically, I now find myself impressed by Trump whenever he manages to avoid saying something outrageous.
    Like, when I'm president I'll be jailing my opponent?

Like, I haven't discussed this major current issue with my running mate and I disagree with him?
    Trump is so ducking scatter brained, it must be maddening working for him.
    There's a resounding endorsement for a presidential candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Making a very dodgy assumption that they don't have more, and probably worse, tapes to come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Trump reminds me of my 6 year son throwing a tantrum. Nothing is his fault.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

All clinton has to do now is " nothing " , Trump will implode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Neutrals would say Trump won the debate and by quite a margin.

Neutrals would say Trump won the debate and by quite a margin.

maybe in a post -fact world that trump supporters live in

"Early polls show Clinton won second US presidential debate"

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJs9_9ndDPAhXkI8AKHZadDuIQqQIIHjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2016%2F1010%2F822733-usdebate2%2F&usg=AFQjCNFr-G6P9czZ_pzdgMSQx6SZcKMcyQ&sig2=bDNXxEiZWdOuZPwz2_NNqg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

BoatMad wrote: »

CNN would say that though. Like Trump said last night '' 3 against 1 , great ''
    Some put it at 90% win trump.

its all irrelevant, Trump will loose , his own party is gradually distancing itself from him . The GOP faces loosing to the easiest to beat candidate in recent history

so sad to see a fine party hitched to the coat-tails of a nut job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've yet to find any analysis by someone claiming Trump won who's not greatly biased; the comments usually come that it was not a loss for either side but no clear winner (which by definition is a win for Clinton currently) or as one put it "Trump stopped bleeding but that's not enough".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

alastair wrote:
    No he couldn't. It's over.

It'll be largely forgotten about in a few weeks. Bad timing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone know of any 'highlight videos' of the debate? I watched the last one in full and regretted it, from the sounds of this one I definitely dont want to watch the whole thing again, but are there are shorter highlight reels worth watching?

If you took everything that was said at face value and didn't fact check a single thing, then it's possible to believe Trump won the debate.

However, he lied his way through the debate. Even a cursory check on the facts can show this.

As for his insistence that the moderators were against him, pure nonsense. He didn't answer several questions and the moderators attempted to get a straight answer for him. It's how moderating should be done.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

The Three on One Second Debate… Moderators gone wild. Closing thought: Why didn’t Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz just wear “I’m With Her’ T-Shirts?

The first twenty minutes were all about Trump's potty-mouth tape. Anderson Cooper goes with four follow-up questions in his attempt to crucify Trump. How many follow-up questions did Hillary get? (That’s a rhetorical question, by the way).

Okay we had Trump’s locker room comments from years ago, and it was expected to come up in the debate.

But also this week information has come out that indicates Clinton’s campaign illegally coordinating with Soros’s Open Society Foundations (OSF). Also, to come out was Hillary’s longing for open trade and open borders which are detrimental to American and it’s workers. Then leaked emails show Hillary’s campaign staff drafted the stories they wanted published and specified what the media should be quoting. Now every campaign does this and hopes the media will oblige, but what is astonishing has been the media’s willingness to shill for Hillary. Some big media names were mentioned… CNN’s Hilary Rosen, Donna Brazile, Stephanie Cutter and Maria Cardona. And what questions did we get in the debate from all the negative news that surrounded Clinton… Should candidates have public and personal opinions? WTF?

Trump held his own and even shined in the three on one debate. I guess most here would call that a fair fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

^^^^^^^^^^^

Election Day in some states stated last month, 2012 1/3 had voted before Election Day, more states have started early voting since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It'll be largely forgotten about in a few weeks. Bad timing.

And by then more than 1/3 will have voted.

Brian? wrote: »
    Trump reminds me of my 6 year son throwing a tantrum. Nothing is his fault.

Does your son also blame Abe Lincoln for his lies and the Ruskies for all the other things he does wrong?

Amerika wrote: »
    Does your son also blame Abe Lincoln for his lies and the Ruskies for all the other things he does wrong?

Hah? What's the question ?

they/them/theirs

Zascar wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any 'highlight videos' of the debate? I watched the last one in full and regretted it, from the sounds of this one I definitely dont want to watch the whole thing again, but are there are shorter highlight reels worth watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭oik

If you took everything that was said at face value and didn't fact check a single thing, then it's possible to believe Trump won the debate.

However, he lied his way through the debate. Even a cursory check on the facts can show this.

As for his insistence that the moderators were against him, pure nonsense. He didn't answer several questions and the moderators attempted to get a straight answer for him. It's how moderating should be done.

Looking at politifact which is greatly biased you can see that Trump didn't lie his way through the debate.

The liesthey got him on were things like "check out sex tape". Which aren't important.

Hillary lied about not being in office when the red line was issued in Syria which is directly lying about her record and came at a point in the debate where she looked rattled.

Trump will do as I predicted and improve as the debates go on. By the next debate he will win handily.

Trump's answer on the locker room talk video was also a good one.

It will infuriate those who will never vote for him because he started talking about ISIS and things which are irrelevant.

But to those who may still vote for him it contrasted a minor issue with a major one and made the tape seem insignificant.

Hillary lied about not being in office when the red line was issued in Syria...

Hang on a second.

The criticism of the "red line" policy, as I understand it, is that it wasn't followed through on. In other words, when it was clear that the line had been crossed, the promised action didn't take place.

Now, Clinton was in office when the red line policy was first talked about. John Kerry had taken over the role when it was proven that Assad had crossed the line.

So, if you're upset that Hillary was in office when the policy was first announced, does that mean that you're unhappy that there was a red line in the first place? You don't believe that the US should draw a line at using chemical weapons on civilians?

Or are you unhappy that the line was crossed? In which case, why is this an attack on Clinton, and not on Kerry?

Or is this just a case of HA GOTCHA, with the usual Trumpian disregard for, y'know, facts?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hang on a second.

The criticism of the "red line" policy, as I understand it, is that it wasn't followed through on. In other words, when it was clear that the line had been crossed, the promised action didn't take place.

Now, Clinton was in office when the red line policy was first talked about. John Kerry had taken over the role when it was proven that Assad had crossed the line.

So, if you're upset that Hillary was in office when the policy was first announced, does that mean that you're unhappy that there was a red line in the first place? You don't believe that the US should draw a line at using chemical weapons on civilians?

Or are you unhappy that the line was crossed? In which case, why is this an attack on Clinton, and not on Kerry?

Or is this just a case of HA GOTCHA, with the usual Trumpian disregard for, y'know, facts?

I'm not upset about anything. I'm merely commenting on the perception this creates.

She now has to say that she would have invaded Syria had she been in office at the time.

Either that or say that the red line was a bad idea in the first place. It's a no-win situation.

I'm not upset about anything. I'm merely commenting on the perception this creates.

She now has to say that she would have invaded Syria had she been in office at the time.

Either that or say that the red line was a bad idea in the first place. It's a no-win situation.

Or maybe she should just change the subject and talk about something else. You seem impressed when Trump does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Trump's answer on the locker room talk video was also a good one.

It will infuriate those who will never vote for him because he started talking about ISIS and things which are irrelevant.

But to those who may still vote for him it contrasted a minor issue with a major one and made the tape seem insignificant.

That was the worst moment he had!!! That wasn't contrasting a "minor" issue (so minor that a whole raft of Republicans abandoned him over it) with a major one, it was just dodging the question. It was completely transparent deflecting. Amazing see someone claim that was a high point for him, no wonder you think he won the debate.

Or maybe she should just change the subject and talk about something else. You seem impressed when Trump does it.

Isn't that what you just did just now?

That was the worst moment he had!!! That wasn't contrasting a "minor" issue (so minor that a while ready of Republicans abandoned him over it) with a major one, it was just dodging the question. It was completely transparent deflecting. Amazing see someone claim that was a high point for him, no wonder you think he won the debate.

That just proved my point.

You're infuriated by it.

Those who are still thinking about maybe voting Trump weren't, they just remembered there are more important issues going on in the world that the media is not talking about.

Isn't that what you just did just now?
    Impressed?

Impressed?

Not really

What do you think Hillary's answer will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That just proved my point.

You're infuriated by it.

Those who are still thinking about maybe voting Trump weren't, they just remembered there are more important issues going on in the world that the media is not talking about.

I'm not infuriated by anything (not sure why you think I am, exclamation marks don't equal fury), I'm just pointing out that claiming that was a good moment for him is wrong, he made a complete fool of himself. There isn't a hope that any undecided voter became more likely to vote for him because of that, it was embarrassing stuff. He had moment's in this debate that he was on top, that was not one of them.

I'm not infuriated by anything (not sure why you think I am, exclamation marks don't equal fury), I'm just pointing out that claiming that was a good moment for him is wrong, he made a complete fool of himself. There isn't a hope that any undecided voter became more likely to vote for him because of that, it was embarrassing stuff. He had moment's in this debate that he was on top, that was not one of them.

All I would say is that the tape was an emotional issue and Trump dealt with it as such.

Trying to be logical about his answer and formulaic about "did he apologise adequately" "did he appear contrite" won't tell you how the undecided voter is feeling.

An undecided voter isn't looking to see if Donald Trump is still crude and boorish, they know he is, we all do. Trump's response was to say "yeah, I am that guy, but that's not important".

Not really
    Strange that you're in awe when Trump does it.
    What do you think Hillary's answer will be?
    I don't know. I still haven't figured out whether the problem was the red line, or the crossing of it.

Strange that you're in awe when Trump does it. I don't know. I still haven't figured out whether the problem was the red line, or the crossing of it.

IMO the problem was the red line, because Obama has always given off the vibe that he won't put boots on the ground, so Assad and Putin probably suspected there was a low probability of the red line being properly enforced. Obama is probably not a good poker player.

Ironically, I think Hillary's vote for the war in Iraq actually helps to give her diplomacy some teeth and gives her an edge over Trump who seems opposed to all foreign wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Pretty sad that media and so called "experts" are debating on who won a debate between a politician in Clinton and a sociopath in Trump

Listening to trump last night actually gave me a headache and I had to pause the debate and take a break. The nonsense and fear he is spreading is criminal, it is a shameful tactic that does nothing good for the country.
    This whole email thing is just pathetic and even after the witch hunt went official she was cleared, they still harp on about it like it's the the most important issue, just shows what's lack of direction the Republican Party has that they can't focus on real issues just this nonsense.
    Meanwhile their candidate is out there spreading lies, making no sense, saying the most vile and dishonest things. The man is toxic and a fake in every aspect of his life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That was the worst moment he had!!! That wasn't contrasting a "minor" issue (so minor that a whole raft of Republicans abandoned him over it) with a major one, it was just dodging the question. It was completely transparent deflecting. Amazing see someone claim that was a high point for him, no wonder you think he won the debate.

Ach sure many thought Trump won the first debate. He did in echo chambers like reddit but in the real world...

I think he did fine last night.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Pretty sad that media and so called "experts" are debating on who won a debate between a politician in Clinton and a sociopath in Trump

Listening to trump last night actually gave me a headache and I had to pause the debate and take a break. The nonsense and fear he is spreading is criminal, it is a shameful tactic that does nothing good for the country.
    This whole email thing is just pathetic and even after the witch hunt went official she was cleared, they still harp on about it like it's the the most important issue, just shows what's lack of direction the Republican Party has that they can't focus on real issues just this nonsense.
    Meanwhile their candidate is out there spreading lies, making no sense, saying the most vile and dishonest things. The man is toxic and a fake in every aspect of his life

Right On! We need to focus on the real most important issue at hand... Some locker room potty-mouth comments Trump made decades ago. And forget Rome is burning because it's not important.

Some locker room potty-mouth comments Trump made decades ago

which gives a keen insight to the type of person he is , basically a scumbag as far as women are concerned
    And forget Rome is burning because it's not important.

Rome is always a raging inferno for Trump supporters, he requires Rome to be in flames to get elected . Hence rome is ablaze

Rome however on closer inspection has a few issues , but is clearly not a smouldering ruin

Another good moment for Trump was when he asked Clinton why she wasn't spending much of her own money on her campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yeah. Hillary should have asked Trump how much he is taking from his own campaign in response.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

His answer on the tax issue was also very good.

BoatMad wrote: »
    which gives a keen insight to the type of person he is , basically a scumbag as far as women are concerned

Rome is always a raging inferno for Trump supporters, he requires Rome to be in flames to get elected . Hence rome is ablaze

Rome however on closer inspection has a few issues , but is clearly not a smouldering ruin

How many of these Hillary scumbag quotes will invoke the media's wrath?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/10/if_you_think_donald_trumps_comments_are_vulgar_check_out_hillarys_potty_mouth.html

My prediction: Zilch, nada, none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hillary seriously missed some shots that could have been taken at trump.
    He came out all guns blazing
    He brought up everything from the emails, to bill & women to her being funded by wallstreet.

A serious walkover by trump
    "because you'd be in jail" - the crowd went nuts.

Im dissapointed that news organisations, even here like the journal, can't admit that The Donald won that debate hands down.

The farage guidance definitely helped and you could see the auld nigel "i don't care what you just said, im going to continue" attitude.

If he can cement these tactics in the next debate, id say itll be a seriously close election.

His answer on the tax issue was also very good.

It actually was a decent response. One of the few.

He torpedoed his own points though when he repeated the lie about not releasing his tax returns due to being audited though.

they/them/theirs

It actually was a decent response. One of the few.

He torpedoed his own points though when he repeated the lie about not releasing his tax returns due to being audited though.

Yeah, he should say he'll release his tax returns when she releases her wall street speeches.

She promised to during the primaries and never honoured her promise.

She has as much of an obligation to release the speeches and Trump does his taxes.

If he does that I predict she drops the tax return demands immediately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement