Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow Street, Limerick City safety?

• 07-10-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am moving to Limerick soon and am looking at an apartment on Mallow Street in the City ... just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a rough area? It looks like a nice area in the day but I know that can be deceiving, I'm mostly asking for my girlfriend who would be walking home late at night alone a few nights a week and wouldn't want to put her in unnecessary danger .. should I avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Upper or Lower Mallow St?

Both are residential but street lighting is poor but lower Mallow St would have more traffic passing through.

In saying that I think I'd prefer upr Mallow St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It can be quiet after dark. It used to be part of the Red Light District as well. It also has a lot of poor quality apartments and bedsits that attract some undesirable tenants. There are lots of nice people living in the area as well. Up by the Park and further down towards Spar/Limerick City Hotel are the better parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BJOS93

phog wrote: »
    Upper or Lower Mallow St?

Both are residential but street lighting is poor but lower Mallow St would have more traffic passing through.

In saying that I think I'd prefer upr Mallow St.

I'm not to sure if it's upper or lower but all I can tell you is I remember seeing a Deaf Society shop from the apartment lol .. and it was near a little street called Catherine Place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

BJOS93 wrote: »
    I'm not to sure if it's upper or lower but all I can tell you is I remember seeing a Deaf Society shop from the apartment lol .. and it was near a little street called Catherine Place

That's Upr Mallow St.

The section of Catherine St & Place that crosses Mallow St is a dark dreary place and as mentioned above is part of the Red Light District of the city.

In saying that I think you should be OK and it's close tho the bus/train station, the city, the river walk and the People's Park.

phog wrote: »
    That's Upr Mallow St.

The section of Catherine St & Place that crosses Mallow St is a dark dreary place and as mentioned above is part of the Red Light District of the city.

In saying that I think you should be OK and it's close tho the bus/train station, the city, the river walk and the People's Park.

Is there any reports of violence up along there? We are only going to be there for four months and will be out for the majority of the day so could do our best to avoid/ignore anything else .. last thing I want is to be sharing a block of flats with some nutters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

BJOS93 wrote: »
    Is there any reports of violence up along there? We are only going to be there for four months and will be out for the majority of the day so could do our best to avoid/ignore anything else .. last thing I want is to be sharing a block of flats with some nutters

What a stupid thing to say, a block of nutters?

Jesus.

Parchment wrote: »

Jesus.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like that lmao.

I'm a worrier that's all

Jesus.

Whats so stupid about it? Lets be realistic here. There are plenty of block of flats in Limerick city full of undesirables. Mallow Street and the adjacent streets are good examples. You'd want to have lived under a rock for the past 20 years not to know that. Can't blame the OP for being concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I live around the corner! Feel free to ask any questions.

It's a pretty safe area. There are some characters living in flats in lower Mallow Street who clearly have alcohol issues, but I would not see the area as being in any way dangerous at any time of day or night. I've never witnessed anything untoward, or heard of anything, or felt threatened in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Jesus.

Never spent more than 30 seconds on Catherine Place then ? ;)
    This is an area where you can hear a mixture of Rap music and Republican songs blaring out from flats at any time of the day. They all seem to have a desire to own either Jack Russels or cross-bred Labs that wander in and out of the Flats and up and down the Road. A lot of the time they will throw a ball out of the window (could be 3rd floor) and let the dog tear off down the stairs to find it on the Road.

Can name the Street numbers if you like, but does it really matter.

A lot of the City Centre's Heroin abuse takes place in the lane where Catherine Place joins Hartstonge St. Normally more prevalent during the Day.

And yes, there are a couple of blocks of flats/bedsits down there completely full of nutters/scumbags/heroin heads....you name it, they're there.

They all have to live somewhere, and this particular street is one place where they seem to have settled.

This is more aimed at a post where it was stated that it was stupid to have a block full of nutters, not an attempt to deter the OP.
    I'm not going to get into a row with you Parchment, but as my job involves me spending 20 minutes or so 3 or 4 times a day every week on Catherine Place I do know that "a block full of nutters" is more than feasible. Any replies to the contrary will probably not be answered.

OP, Mallow St./Catherine St. itself is usually fine. Just avoid Catherine Place.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys .. Music or loudness is not something that would bother me at any time tbh as I would half expect it living in any city .. Just don't fancy living the next 4/5 months feeling threatened or intimidated that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

BJOS93 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys .. Music or loudness is not something that would bother me at any time tbh as I would half expect it living in any city .. Just don't fancy living the next 4/5 months feeling threatened or intimidated that's all

I honestly can't imagine you'd feel that way. I live in the area and it's grand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say Mallow St. is ok on balance.

It's inner city, and the majority of the flats available are in older buildings. It's also a busy traffic route to the Shannon Bridge, and the main route from some of the more disadvantaged areas into the city centre.

It is however very central to pretty much everything, and has easy transport links.

A top floor place in the area if it had private parking, and was recently and properly modernised, would be worth looking at.

Advertisement