Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bag help

Options
  • 07-10-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I started trying to pack my hospital bag today. It is a cabin sized suitcase. I have only put in towels, baby blanket, some baby clothes etc and it's nearly full!! I haven't yet out in any Pjs, dressing gown, nappies, toiletries yet...: I'm going to have to have a large labour room bag to fit my dressing gown. What size hospital bag does everyone else have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had a cabin suitcase for me, a changing bag packed for my son and I also packed a football boot bag for my husband (clean socks/underwear/t-shirt and snacks in the case of a long labour).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I've small backpack for the labour ward. A Ryanair style suitcase with all my stuff for the ward and nappies and towels. Then our nappy change bag has the baby clothes and other bits. And a smaller bag for coming home with my coming home outfit and the babies coming home clothes. I've left this in the nursery in the car seat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I've always had 3 bags. One for the ward for me, one for baby and one for labour. All three would be pretty small. My labour bag would also contain a couple of bits for my husband. You probably won't need a baby blanket until you are leaving the hospital. At least in Cork you don't anyway. I also just left a going home outfit for me and the baby in the car and only got it brought in before we left. Lightweight towel and travel sized toiletries are good for saving space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Roesy wrote:
    I've always had 3 bags. One for the ward for me, one for baby and one for labour. All three would be pretty small. My labour bag would also contain a couple of bits for my husband. You probably won't need a baby blanket until you are leaving the hospital. At least in Cork you don't anyway. I also just left a going home outfit for me and the baby in the car and only got it brought in before we left. Lightweight towel and travel sized toiletries are good for saving space.

I did pretty much the same as you. I brought half towels/nappies etc in bags for hospital and had everything else in a suitcase in the car. Labour ward bag had bare minimum. You won't need everything that's on the list in the hospital at any one time. Only other thing I would say is consider your clothes incase of c-section. I live in jeans and had jeans left out for going home outfit which was out then as you can't have anything on your waist for about 6 weeks. So I'd have an emergency outfit left out at home as well suitable if you have section.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

You only need a tiny bag for labour room your nightie and babies first outfit plus one nappy! In fact I'm pretty sure I didn't even put the outfit on the baby untill we got to the post delievery Ward! You don't need any blankets either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jen44 wrote: »
    You only need a tiny bag for labour room your nightie and babies first outfit plus one nappy! In fact I'm pretty sure I didn't even put the outfit on the baby untill we got to the post delievery Ward! You don't need any blankets either

She should take a towel for a shower after the birth, though the hospital may have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

My ward bag is big, it's a carry all type, it's more than I'd take on a month long holiday!!;). I've got towels, nighties, pj bottoms, baby clothes, pack of nappies, wet wipes, maternity pads, breast pads, toiletries, blankets and going home outfit for baby etc so loads of stuff really!!:o. I live over an hour and a half away and since other half is working and my mother broke her back I don't have anyone to bring anything if I need it, so am taking the lot!!:D.
    My labour bag is way smaller though but still haven't got my toiletries in it or snacks and kindle, so may have to dig around for another bag! It's better to have too much stuff than too little Imo!;). I'll leave the ward bag in the car though and send OH for it after baby arrives so space shouldn't be a problem.

Advertisement