Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview Button

Options
  • 07-10-2016 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi Mark

I'm on the legacy site. When I type a reply and press preview, the preview is shown but my message disappears. So if I then click submit, I get the message "Your message is too short ..."

I also mentioned my problem with quoting any posts on the other thread. (Although I see that, that message has yet to be approved)

Cheers

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

That's an unusual one. Will say it to the guys here. What browser are you using when you encounter this issue? And when the "message is too short" error occurs, are you also trying to quote or are they two separate incidents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Two seperate incidents.

Just for the hell, I tried to quote your message back and it took me straight to simple reply.

Using Firefox 49.0.1

The message is too short occurs when I 'm basically trying to post nothing as all my text has disappeared when I preview.

Just tried to preview this and all my text disappeared and I had to copy it from the preview window back to this one.

BTW - should have started "Thanks Mark"

Boards.ie Employee

9or10 wrote: »
    Two seperate incidents.

Just for the hell, I tried to quote your message back and it took me straight to simple reply.

Using Firefox 49.0.1

The message is too short occurs when I 'm basically trying to post nothing as all my text has disappeared when I preview.

Just tried to preview this and all my text disappeared and I had to copy it from the preview window back to this one.

BTW - should have started "Thanks Mark"

Very strange. I haven't been able to replicate this. Not to brag, but both quoting and previewing working for me. Have said it to tech guys, so hopefully we'll be able to get you sorted soon.

Boards.ie Employee

This may sound silly, but could you list the steps that you go through that results in these happening (just trying to see if there's something we're missing when trying to replicate)?

Also, could you be running extensions that aren't playing nice?

Steps:

Clicked quote your post, straight to standard reply,

Type, Type, Type

Click Preview Post

All text in reply box disappears and pasted back.

All worked fine on my previous a/c

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Steps:

Clicked quote your post, straight to standard reply,

Type, Type, Type

Click Preview Post

All text in reply box disappears and pasted back.

All worked fine on my previous a/c

The issue may come down to post count, something that yourself and the original poster had in common.

OK thanks Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

When I type a message in the Message box when replying to an existing thread or creating a new thread and click on Preview Post the preview will show but the text in the Message box disappears. I have to retype the text or copy and paste it from the preview.

Firefox browser on a windows machine.

Edited to add: Also, when I Quote a post and complete the reply the Quote is not appearing in my post reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged into already existing thread on this topic.

dudara

Boards.ie Employee

Heighway61 wrote: »
    When I type a message in the Message box when replying to an existing thread or creating a new thread and click on Preview Post the preview will show but the text in the Message box disappears. I have to retype the text or copy and paste it from the preview.

Firefox browser on a windows machine.

Looking into this issue and trying to replicate at the moment. It's an odd one.
    The issue may come down to post count, something that yourself and the original poster had in common.
    OK thanks Mark

Sorry 9or10, reading my reply again - I meant this in relation to quoting, but still looking into the preview issue.

• Advertisement

Mark, just tried to preview in Chrome (version ?) and same thing happens - i.e. text disappears and has to be pasted back into the reply box.

The same with quoting and multi-quoting - maybe things will change on 18/10?

Mark, I'm going to pour water on your "solution" to the quoting problem above.

I notice in this thread
    http:// www. boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101334053#post101334053

The user is happily quoting other posts. He is similarly a newby / rereg and the last time I looked had 6 posts, joined in Oct.

This is not just a question of a new car where the cigarette lighter doesn't work (i.e. who really notices) - this is the brakes or indicators. Not being able to quote makes contributing to a thread nearly impossible, unless there's only two people in it.

Boards.ie Employee

I notice in this thread

The user is happily quoting other posts. He is similarly a newby / rereg and the last time I looked had 6 posts, joined in Oct.

This is not just a question of a new car where the cigarette lighter doesn't work (i.e. who really notices) - this is the brakes or indicators. Not being able to quote makes contributing to a thread nearly impossible, unless there's only two people in it.

Morning,

Still trying to replicate your issue. At present, we can only do this when we sign up for a new account - in that case, quoting does result in a blank reply box.

There is a manual workaround (not ideal, I know) where you can use the BBCode to quote a post.

Copy this piece of text and add it to the reply in Advanced Mode
    Click on the speech bubble in the toolbar OR put [ QUOTE] (without the space) before the line and [ /QUOTE] after the line (without the space)
    Result:

If you want to show who you're quoting, it's [ QUOTE=Boards.ie: Mark](without the space)

Finally, if you want people to be able to click the little arrow to see the post you've responded to, add ;postnumber (the numbers after "p=") - so for your post above it's

[ QUOTE=9or10;101334090]TEXT[/ QUOTE]
    I notice in this thread...

That still doesn't explain the Preview issue though, which we're also looking at.

Thanks Mark

I notice in this thread

Morning,

Still trying to replicate your issue. At present, we can only do this when we sign up for a new account - in that case, quoting does result in a blank reply box.

There is a manual workaround (not ideal, I know) where you can use the BBCode to quote a post.

Click on the speech bubble in the toolbar OR put [ QUOTE] (without the space) before the line and [ /QUOTE] after the line (without the space)
    Result:

If you want to show who you're quoting, it's [ QUOTE=Boards.ie: Mark](without the space)

Finally, if you want people to be able to click the little arrow to see the post you've responded to, add ;postnumber (the numbers after "p=") - so for your post above it's

[ QUOTE=9or10;101334090]TEXT[/ QUOTE]
    I notice in this thread...

That still doesn't explain the Preview issue though, which we're also looking at.

Mark I struggled a bit with this because I have no way of "going advanced". I've now gone onto the responsive site (not keen but ....). Anyway the quote works, hopefully as you see and there is no preview button - that's correct is it? Its not cleverly disguised as ....

Boards.ie Employee

Sorry, just spotted that the Quote icon is in Quick Reply too. If you click "Quote" or "Post Reply" (on Legacy) you're also taken to the Advanced editor.

399149.png

Can see the quotes above; good to see that there is a workaround of sorts (again, not ideal though easier than entering BBCode).

Nope, no Preview on Responsive Site as the editor is a "What you see is (almost) what you get," so your message will look pretty much like what you've inserted into the text box (including quotes, YouTube vids, etc)

Nah not so much.

In legacy I just get a simple reply box with no formatting or Youtube buttons.

On QuickReply it wont let me check that box "Quote text" or similar. When I click "go advanced", I just get the same simple box back.

Nah not so much.

In legacy I just get a simple reply box with no formatting or Youtube buttons.

On QuickReply it wont let me check that box "Quote text" or similar. When I click "go advanced", I just get the same simple box back.

Hi Mark, my quoting skills are back so it must have been just a rereg/newby disincentive - kind of tiresome though, but thanks for all your help.

I spent a few days on the Responsive site. I found it took a lot of getting used to.

• You no longer see a users join date, number of posts or stars.
    • Its difficult to spot the Mods, unless you know them anyway. Especially if they have a zany user type.
    • The forums no longer list all the Mods.
    • I couldn't find the stickies at the top of the forum (talking AH especially)
    • No longer a search for post that quote 9or10

Boards.ie Employee

Hi Mark, my quoting skills are back so it must have been just a rereg/newby disincentive - kind of tiresome though, but thanks for all your help.

I spent a few days on the Responsive site. I found it took a lot of getting used to.

• You no longer see a users join date, number of posts or stars.
    • Its difficult to spot the Mods, unless you know them anyway. Especially if they have a zany user type.
    • The forums no longer list all the Mods.
    • I couldn't find the stickies at the top of the forum (talking AH especially)
    • No longer a search for post that quote 9or10

Thanks for the feedback. Good to see that you're able to quote. Has the blank Preview box righted itself too or is that still an issue (unless you're content with the Responsive Site)?

Thanks for the feedback. Good to see that you're able to quote. Has the blank Preview box righted itself too or is that still an issue (unless you're content with the Responsive Site)?

Forgotton all about the reason for the OP :o

No that works fine now Mark - thank you.

There's another couple of problems that I found with the Responsive site.

When you're notified of new posts in a thread, you can go to first post or last post, but no obvious (to me at least) of going to first unread post.

Also when you click on that last post it doesn't cancel the notification - maybe this is what Permabear was onabout parsing something?

I'm happy on Legacy Mark, close this up if you're minded.;)

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

Forgotton all about the reason for the OP :o

No that works fine now Mark - thank you.

There's another couple of problems that I found with the Responsive site.

When you're notified of new posts in a thread, you can go to first post or last post, but no obvious (to me at least) of going to first unread post.

Also when you click on that last post it doesn't cancel the notification - maybe this is what Permabear was onabout parsing something?

I'm happy on Legacy Mark, close this up if you're minded.;)

Will close this up now, but just to add that clicking on the title brings you to the last unread post (or should, at least). Yes, there does seem to be a delay between reading the last post and the notification disappearing so I will pass that along. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement