Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANAL FISHING NEAR DUBLIN?

Options
  • 07-10-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am getting back in to coarse fishing after a few years away from it. I was just wondering if there are any locations that people could recommend near Dublin? I used to fish for Tench and Roach around Sallins, Prosperous,Kilcock and sometimes near Mary Lynch's pub in Mullingar and I am just looking to get back in to it and aim for a few roach and perch etc.

I tried the two small lakes at Corcaigh Park last weekend and it was very bad with lots of dense weed and very few decent pegs to fish from, so I won't being going back there. I was looking at heading to the canal at Hazelhatch, Sallins or Kilcock this weekend, are they still decent to fish in? I don't really like Blessington as it is a bit too big and prefer the quieter pace of a slow canal or river.

I could not believe that both fishing shops in Castle Tymon and Walkinstown Mall had closed, and eventually got some bait in the new shop beside Woodies in Tallaght (opposite Tallaght Stadium), nice shop BTW with friendly staff but did not seem to have a lot of local knowledge on where was fishing well etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ye theres still a few fish around, sallins, kilcock and maynooth, i fish all them places and u should catch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

ye theres still a few fish around, sallins, kilcock and maynooth, i fish all them places and u should catch something.

Cheers, I tried Straffan on Sunday afternoon and blanked, so really appreciate your advice, I will give these spots a bash in the coming weeks.

I know Sallins fairly well and the 'bend' near the town used to be very good and Kilcock town near the water polo goals used to be decent too, I take it that these are where you mean? I also heard that Maynooth is good from a lad in the Fishing Shop but I wouldn't know it as well as the other two locations.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ye there the places, fished the sallins stretch a few times this summer, only had 2 tench over a pound there, all the rest of them were tiny, wouldnt be to quick to go there again. it was heavily poached. if ur just after roach and perch u will catch, thankfully a lot of places are starting to recover now after years of poaching. they really did ruin a lot of places, !!
    i fish maynooth and kilcock a bit, only in the mornings or late evenings tho as gets to noisy with people and cars and i like a bit of quietness!! best of luck!!

Yes, I had heard that a lot of poaching was going on with lads taking fish home with them, ruins it for decent anglers that 'catch and release'.
    Sallins and Prosperous used to be great a few years ago with large shoals of big Bream and decent Tench there too, hopefully they will recover, glad to hear that small Tench are showing up there now.

Mary Lynch's stretch near Mullingar had Tench up to 6lbs and was a cracking spot a few years ago but I heard that this was hammered too, again hopefully on the recovery soon.

I might give Kilcock or Maynooth a go the next time I am out, cheers and thanks for the advice!

I tried Sallins yesterday and tried for a tench or two, but no luck although I reckon that there were a few munching on my groundbait as there were few 'tench bubbles' about. I then changed over to fishing on the drop and caught a few decent size perch and a few small roach.

Glad not get back catching a few fish again.....all safely released back to fight another day;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Anywhere you guys would recommend at this time of year for some roach etc.?

Hi,
    Sallins on the bend near the Town fished well for roach and Perch the last time that I was there, plenty of small fish and one or two medium sized ones too. Kilcock (in the town) and Lucan traditionally were decent for roach in the past too, although I haven't fished them in a while myself.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sallins on the bend near the Town fished well for roach and Perch the last time that I was there, plenty of small fish and one or two medium sized ones too. Kilcock (in the town) and Lucan traditionally were decent for roach in the past too, although I haven't fished them in a while myself.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement