Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What animals are on the menu in ireland?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

my3cents wrote: »
    RE: Needing a boat.

Not necessary where I live, a good few people fish from canoe and get good catches.

I save the crab and shrimp pots that wash up for some of the local kids who use them from canoes again with surprisingly good results. Only problem is marking the pots as if they are marked too clearly then the local boat fishermen come and steal them back. Not marking the pots and placing them by wading out at low tide also gives worthwhile results.

My apologies.

I included canoes in the category of boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

MysticMonk wrote: »
    My apologies.

I included canoes in the category of boat.

I only made the point because I feel a canoe may be more useful in a survival situation and can be taken out of the water and hidden a lot more easily than a boat.

my3cents wrote: »
    I only made the point because I feel a canoe may be more useful in a survival situation and can be taken out of the water and hidden a lot more easily than a boat.

Well there's dozens of types of boats..from a one man corracle to a four man currach..all of which an be made in ireland with local materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I'm not sure in what context people would be that desperate in Ireland to eat woodlice and rats..if you were on the run you'd be probably stealing food where you find it and supplementing it with killing farm or domestic animals.

We are just discussing the question in the OP "If I was living in the wilderness tomorrow what meat would I be looking to hunt?" Insects are an option, but may not always be the best option.

Setting up dead-fall traps or pits is not too difficult. They are very basic and you don't need much knowledge to create either.
    A couple of good points but my belief is that whereas man *can* live for a limited time by eating insects in an emergency they will not constitute a reliable or sustainable source of food for long.

Why not?
    Survivalism and bushcraft are two seperate things...nobody who takes himself into "the wild" should find himself at the stage where he needs to eat insects..he should have emergency rations,water purification tablets,a space blanket,a firearm/bow/snares/fishing gear etc etc.

The basics of prepping or whatever you want to call it, is to expect the unexpected. You don't belong far from civilization if you are not prepared for the worst.

the_syco wrote: »
    Why are the red ones off limits?

They are protected, so they are not legal to hunt. In an emergency situation, laws wouldn't stop people from surviving. While out practicing bushcraft, it's an absolute no go.

Setting up dead-fall traps or pits is not too difficult. They are very basic and you don't need much knowledge to create either.

What kind of pits?

Like pits full of stakes that you hafta dig?

Who uses them to trap in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What kind of pits?

Like pits full of stakes that you hafta dig?

Who uses them to trap in ireland?

A hole in the ground, that you have to dig, yea... Stake it or don't stake it, whatever. Does it need to be used by somebody in Ireland in order to be discussed?

Are you purposely missing the point or what?

A hole in the ground, that you have to dig, yea... Stake it or don't stake it, whatever. Does it need to be used by somebody in Ireland in order to be discussed?

Are you purposely missing the point or what?

No I'm not "purposely missing the point".

You said that deadfall traps and "pits" can be used to hunt (in a thread about whats on the menu in IRELAND) and I'm asking you who has ever used pits to catch animals in Ireland,or anywhere in Europe and what kind of animals do you expect to catch?

You also said they can be done without much effort. Right,so what involves more effort than digging a pit in the ground??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

No I'm not "purposely missing the point".

You said that deadfall traps and "pits" can be used to hunt (in a thread about whats on the menu in IRELAND) and I'm asking you who has ever used pits to catch animals in Ireland,or anywhere in Europe and what kind of animals do you expect to catch?

You also said they can be done without much effort. Right,so what involves more effort than digging a pit in the ground??

I can attest that football goals make very effective traps for hedgehogs, though I haven't attempted to eat one yet. If I am ever starving in the Irish countryside, and tempted to eat woodlice, I'll first make for the local GAA club and check their goal nets. I can't imagine you'd be more than a couple of hours walk from a GAA club anywhere in Ireland.

Gravelly wrote: »
    I can attest that football goals make very effective traps for hedgehogs, though I haven't attempted to eat one yet. If I am ever starving in the Irish countryside, and tempted to eat woodlice, I'll first make for the local GAA club and check their goal nets. I can't imagine you'd be more than a couple of hours walk from a GAA club anywhere in Ireland.

Once you find the GAA club,ask where the local Mace is and buy a breakfast roll from the hot food counter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Once you find the GAA club,ask where the local Mace is and buy a breakfast roll from the hot food counter :D

Or raid the club shop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement