Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ MOD WARNING POST #1 BEFORE POSTING- Joshua Vs Klitschko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Morrison J wrote: »
    What's the relevance to it being Whyte's first defeat? He'd only fought Bulgarian binmen essentially.

Bottom line is if AJ gets wobbled everytime someone lands clean on him he's not going to have a very successful career. He got lucky against Whyte but with a move up in quality of opposition he wont get that lucky again.

Jury is out on him for me until he proves he can take a shot.

Will agree to disagree.

I have to say I think you're seriously overstating how badly hurt Joshua was against Whyte. This reminds me very much of the same exaggerating that went on with Canelo when he was rocked in his first round with Cotto's brother.

Both situations involved a 'double impact' situation where they were throwing their own left hook and walked into a quicker one. They were definitely rocked, but both recovered quickly and slipped/blocked the majority of the followup punches and also were throwing back pretty quickly - in aprox 8-9 seconds in Joshua's case. There was also the overly-casual attitude by Joshua, where he just walked into Whyte thinking he was just going to blow him away. He learned a valuable lesson there.

Watch Joshua's 2011 World Final with Medzhidov, who is the biggest puncher in all amateur boxing and watch how when hit (and hit hard) he always comes back immediately and you'll get an idea of the 'fight' there is in Joshua. Considering how inexperienced he was back then and how much he has learned about balance, defense etc. in the intervening five years, I'm quite confident his chin is better than average.

It seems to me you just want him to have a bad chin and are reaching for any little sign that it may be the case. Do you have any proof of the "fact" that David Price "knocked him clean out in sparring"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Klitschko Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    I have to say I think you're seriously overstating how badly hurt Joshua was against Whyte. This reminds me very much of the same exaggerating that went on with Canelo when he was rocked in his first round with Cotto's brother.

Both situations involved a 'double impact' situation where they were throwing their own left hook and walked into a quicker one. They were definitely rocked, but both recovered quickly and slipped/blocked the majority of the followup punches and also were throwing back pretty quickly - in aprox 8-9 seconds in Joshua's case. There was also the overly-casual attitude by Joshua, where he just walked into Whyte thinking he was just going to blow him away. He learned a valuable lesson there.

Watch Joshua's 2011 World Final with Medzhidov, who is the biggest puncher in all amateur boxing and watch how when hit (and hit hard) he always comes back immediately and you'll get an idea of the 'fight' there is in Joshua. Considering how inexperienced he was back then and how much he has learned about balance, defense etc. in the intervening five years, I'm quite confident his chin is better than average.

It seems to me you just want him to have a bad chin and are reaching for any little sign that it may be the case. Do you have any proof of the "fact" that David Price "knocked him clean out in sparring"?
    No I genuinely believe if Whyte had swarmed him he could have taken him out. I think he was a couple of Klitschko overhand rights from being gone either. Joshua didn't fully recovered till he was on his stool. Legs weren't there.

I've never questioned AJ's heart. Clearly has it in abundance but I think he gets wobbled easily. That's all I'm saying. It's not a good trait to have as a heavyweight boxer. Got to remember he's wearing bigger gloves in the amateurs too which absorb some of the power.

Not that I don't want him to have a good chin but it's fair to say that I'm probably naturally a bit skeptical of fighters coming through the Matchroom/Sky hype machine. I don't know how I'm reaching when I've yet to see proof that he can shake off a clean heavyweight punch without being wobbled. Has to be some kind of concern.

Fair enough I shouldn't have said 'fact' because I wasn't there myself. It's been confirmed by a lot of people though and AJ has never denied it. I'd be fairly convinced it's true. End of the day though Price could knock any heavyweight in the world out clean if he landed clean, big puncher, poor boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Joshua Points
    The only person to claim it as "fact" is Price. Plus, he didn't claim that he clean knocked AJ out. And as mentioned, any HW through history could suffer a KO whether in a fight or sparring. Iron chinned or not. They are only human.

Klitschko Points
    Sparring is sparring and to be honest I regret bringing that up as I take little stock in it myself tbh even though I believe it to be true.

I can't list the people who have confirmed it but it's been something that's been circulating for a lot longer than the other month. Lot of people have said it.

End of the day though it means **** all I agree. I actually detest the idea of sparring stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Haye is after tweeting that its a done deal

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    TheNap wrote: »
    Haye is after tweeting that its a done deal

And has a dig at AJ in the tweet with his making out that Klit is an old past it shell. Comparing it to Berbick-Ali. Ali at that stage should not have been allowed box. Wlad is not at his peak, but still very capable.

walshb wrote: »
    And has a dig at AJ in the tweet with his making out that Klit is an old past it shell. Comparing it to Berbick-Ali. Ali at that stage should not have been allowed box. Wlad is not at his peak, but still very capable.

Yes it was a dig . I think it was mostly aimed at Hearn though . He will look like a fool if the fight doesnt happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    No I genuinely believe if Whyte had swarmed him he could have taken him out. I think he was a couple of Klitschko overhand rights from being gone either. Joshua didn't fully recovered till he was on his stool. Legs weren't there.

I've never questioned AJ's heart. Clearly has it in abundance but I think he gets wobbled easily. That's all I'm saying. It's not a good trait to have as a heavyweight boxer. Got to remember he's wearing bigger gloves in the amateurs too which absorb some of the power.

Not that I don't want him to have a good chin but it's fair to say that I'm probably naturally a bit skeptical of fighters coming through the Matchroom/Sky hype machine. I don't know how I'm reaching when I've yet to see proof that he can shake off a clean heavyweight punch without being wobbled. Has to be some kind of concern.

Fair enough I shouldn't have said 'fact' because I wasn't there myself. It's been confirmed by a lot of people though and AJ has never denied it. I'd be fairly convinced it's true. End of the day though Price could knock any heavyweight in the world out clean if he landed clean, big puncher, poor boxer.

That's a very unfair comment (bolded). He got hit once by a very hard punch while throwing his own hook. He was rocked but recovered quickly and that one incident translates into "he gets wobbled easily" like it's a regular occurence.

To me an example of a boxer that gets wobbled easily is Amir Khan. I'm sure you'll agree there's a major difference in their respective whiskers?

The Price story that I heard is that he floored Joshua in sparring a good number of years ago, again when Joshua was very inexperienced. Never heard anything about being ko'd. And I agree that sparring stories aren't worth the paper they're written on and can almost never be verified.

megadodge wrote: »
    That's a very unfair comment (bolded). He got hit once by a very hard punch while throwing his own hook. He was rocked but recovered quickly and that one incident translates into "he gets wobbled easily" like it's a regular occurence.

To me an example of a boxer that gets wobbled easily is Amir Khan. I'm sure you'll agree there's a major difference in their respective whiskers?

The Price story that I heard is that he floored Joshua in sparring a good number of years ago, again when Joshua was very inexperienced. Never heard anything about being ko'd. And I agree that sparring stories aren't worth the paper they're written on and can almost never be verified.

Well that's the only punch AJ has got hit flush with in his whole career . We wont know until he gets caught a few more times.

Joshua Points
    TheNap wrote: »
    Well that's the only punch AJ has got hit flush with in his whole career . We wont know until he gets caught a few more times.

That wasn't mega's point, though. One shot is being used here. A peach of a shot that AJ took. Yes, he was rocked. But the significance and connection of the shot has to be factored in. I doubt any HW would have had that just bounce off his chin with no reaction.

But yes, we do need to wait a little longer before deciding on how good the chin is.

• Advertisement

I took a chance on this fight being announced for December 10th in Cardiff .

I just got a hunch . Booked a hotel with free cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Joshua Points
    walshb wrote: »

Ha ha Haye having a dig at somebody for fighting an over matched oponent?!? Have a look in the mirror mate- muppet:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Fury just vacated all his belts so one if them could be added to this fight id imagine!

Might help deal the deal from Wlad's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's going to be annoying watching Haye talk himself into the title mix after fighting a couple of punching bags.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Joshua Points
    Just on the Price thing. That supposedly happened years ago when AJ was still an amateur. 2011 I believe? Price said he knocked him cold (what I've read) but then went on to say something I can't quite recall without the article, but made it sound like it wasn't 'out cold'. Suppose well never know but it's interesting AJ hasn't responded.
    Edit: here's a recent one after a quick Google, take from price what you will...
    http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10533149/david-price-knocked-out-anthony-joshua-in-sparring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Joshua Points
    Have we got full confirmation klutz v aj is happening December 10th yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Dan Rafael tweeted earlier there still some unresolved issues and Wlad may go elsewhere for Dec fight.

I hope to God it's bs

Joshua Points
    rebelomar wrote: »
    Dan Rafael tweeted earlier there still some unresolved issues and Wlad may go elsewhere for Dec fight.

I hope to God it's bs

Not at all surprising. I don't think the fight happens this year. But let's not fret. It might happen summer next year. Usual BS with this sport. Fighters and teams afraid to take risks. Team Klitschko stalling here because of some BS WBA sanctioning. Pure obfuscation. Wlad at this bloody stage should't be giving a toss about belts. It should be all about challenges and wanting to show that you're top dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Yeah ........ it looks to me like :

A Joshua vs David Price in Dec

Wlad vs Lucas Browne in Feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

David Price? Oh for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭DylanAFC

Johner wrote: »
    David Price? Oh for **** sake.

Probably on box office too.

Klitschko Points
    I reckon Price has been the plan all along. Sky didn't republish the AJ-Price sparring story last month for no reason.

Disgrace of a fight if it happens.

Joshua Points
    Price is a big MOFO. Could cause a surprise here. It's not going past 2-3 rds either way. Joshua via KO for me.

Klitschko Points
    They'll big it up using Price's one punch KO power but Price is gun shy as ****. Won't even let his hands go. Fight is only going one way. AJ within 3 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Joshua Points
    They'll big it up using Price's one punch KO power but Price is gun shy as ****. Won't even let his hands go.

This for me, Price has looked awful since the Thompson fights, I really think AJ can have him out of there in the 1st if he wants. It is a terribly poor fight, although Haye was saying he thought it would be Eric Molina and this is at least better than that would have been.

Out of the fights that could realistically have been made I would love to have seen him in against Pulev.

Joshua Points
    I hope AJ wins via KO. Makes it 1-1.......:)

Joshua Points
    DylanAFC wrote: »
    Probably on box office too.

That's a given. They have decided that AJ vs. anyone is on PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Joshua Points
    absolute disgrace if it happens, surely Price isn't even in the top twenty in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Joshua Points
    absolute disgrace if it happens, surely Price isn't even in the top twenty in the world?

You'd be hard pressed to have him in the top 30 really, couldnt make a case for him. He looked great being fed tin cans in his early days but he is gone mentally IMO.

Advertisement