Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

READ MOD WARNING POST #1 BEFORE POSTING- Joshua Vs Klitschko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,053 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Joshua KO
    Jesus Christ!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Joshua Points
    Wlad's leanness and vascularity is shocking for a guy who is 41 years old. And not only is he 41, he's a 41 year old heavyweight who doesn't have to worry about making weight. It's astonishing.

C9w28_oXUAA8V5m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,730 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Joshua Points
    Wlad is a genetic machine. Probably be similar looking aged 60..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Klitschko Points
    A real battle of supplements, this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A real battle of supplements, this one.

Reminder of the charter. These comments are not welcome in this forum.

Joshua Points
    Anyone else have not the slightest bit of interest in the build up to this?

I am looking forward to the event, but couldn't care less for the build up.

Klitschko Points
    walshb wrote: »

I'll have a gander at the weigh in, but other than that i don't care. There's zero charisma between these two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Klitschko Points

So if there isn't needle in the build up you don't have much interest. I see why you are fond of Bellew now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

So if there isn't needle in the build up you don't have much interest. I see why you are fond of Bellew now.

Sky have done a great job hyping it considering there have been no antics to play off.

It's a sign that the fight speaks for itself really, I think it's a case of them actually having a big fight on their hands as opposed to having to resort to the carry on we saw between Bellew and Haye.

They know their audience, having random premier league footballers and sky personalities give their opinions on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I've enjoyed the build up. It is nice to see a respectful approach in the age of WWE style hype.

Klitschko has come up with a good moneyspinner for the Klitschko foundation with that robe/usb thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Klitschko Points
    Schooled yet failed to land a meaningful punch the whole fight....

They both schooled each other in an abysmal display of everything that is not boxing.

Wlad would have schooled Fury and likely knocked him out if he wasn't so befuddled by Fury's strategy. The reason he became so reluctant to throw is because he wasn't dealing with a fighter of the calibre of Chisora or Whyte, he was dealing with a man of similar size and reach, who used that size and reach very effectively, along with nimble footwork and slick head movement, to frustrate Wlad.

I get that it wasn't an entertaining fight for you and others, but it was a great tactical display by Fury to dethrone a guy in his own backyard who had not been beaten in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Joshua Points
    Whats the robe/USB thing?

Klitschko Points
    Without the jab, Klit is lost. Fury deserves huge credit for taking away that jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Klitschko Points
    When is the fight?

Joshua Points

No, just find both very bland.

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    I get that it wasn't an entertaining fight for you and others, but it was a great tactical display by Fury to dethrone a guy in his own backyard who had not been beaten in years.

Tactical display without landing anything of real note....?

I don't get this.....

His offensive delivery and output were atrocious. How can anyone then turn it to a great tactical display?

Klitschko Points

I don't get this.....

His offensive delivery and output were atrocious. How can anyone then turn it to a great tactical display?

Sweet science. Willie Pep was lauded for winning a round without throwing a single punch. It's not all about big sexy muscles and knockouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Joshua KO
    Sweet science. Willie Pep was lauded for winning a round without throwing a single punch. It's not all about big sexy muscles and knockouts.
    Lots of hype about Joshua's shape.

But Klitschko is in just as good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Klitschko Points
    When is the fight?

?

Klitschko Points

I don't get this.....

You are equating a great tactical display with a great offensive performance- i suppose it does then become subjective because we are talking about personal preference. As a spectacle i agree it wasn't akin to a Froch v Paschal slug fest, to put it mildly, but it was a great strategic performance from Fury in the art of how to avoid being tagged. He did what very few other fighters have been able to do to Wlad, take away his Jab.

Personally I enjoy a good tear up as much as anyone, but i can also appreciate a bout where elusive skills are on display, and that's what Fury did. He does not have Joshua's knock power, but he is a much better boxer overall than Joshua.

• Advertisement

Klitschko Points
    ?

Saturday night, at around 10 - 10:30

Joshua Points
    You are equating a great tactical display with a great offensive performance- i suppose it does then become subjective because we are talking about personal preference. As a spectacle i agree it wasn't akin to a Froch v Paschal slug fest, to put it mildly, but it was a great strategic performance from Fury in the art of how to avoid being tagged. He did what very few other fighters have been able to do to Wlad, take away his Jab.

Personally I enjoy a good tear up as much as anyone, but i can also appreciate a bout where elusive skills are on display, and that's what Fury did. He does not have Joshua's knock power, but he is a much better boxer overall than Joshua.

Being tactical and actually boxing-fighting-scoring I really admire. What those tow served up was not that....

Joshua Points
    It's not all about big sexy muscles and knockouts.

Who said it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I think the Klitschko's will only really be appreciated when they are gone. Granted Vitali has already retired, but they are absolute class acts. And fantastic ambassadors for the sport.

You would almost be embarrassed for Wlad in particular for some of the stunts pulled by opponents at press conferences etc..

I was a big fan of Vitali, hard as nails and would have had success in any era in my opinion.

Joshua Points
    Sweet science. Willie Pep was lauded for winning a round without throwing a single punch.

That never happened.

Joshua Points
    Blanco100 wrote: »
    I think the Klitschko's will only really be appreciated when they are gone. Granted Vitali has already retired, but they are absolute class acts. And fantastic ambassadors for the sport.

You would almost be embarrassed for Wlad in particular for some of the stunts pulled by opponents at press conferences etc..

I was a big fan of Vitali, hard as nails and would have had success in any era in my opinion.

I tend to agree, but most of Wlad's fights over the past 7 or 8 years have been awful. Ugly and mind-numbingly boring. Not all his fault, but the point stands. A classy champion outside the ring but not one I'll miss inside of it.

Klitschko Points
    Henno30 wrote: »
    That never happened.

Whether it happened or not doesn't matter. He was still lauded for it.

Joshua KO
    skysports-joshua-klitschko-joshua-vs-klitschko_3939764.jpg?20170427153657

Contrasting moods here.

Joshua Points
    You can see the inch or two height difference there.

Klitschko Points
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Lots of hype about Joshua's shape.

But Klitschko is in just as good shape.

See my earlier 'too hot for boards' post on that.

• Advertisement

Joshua KO
    Never seen Wlad smiling like this before a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Can't wait for this fight. Genuinely intrigued in how it unfolds. Hoping for a wlad win though.

Can't get the lads to call around for this one yet they all came for Haye vs bellew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Klitschko Points

I thought they were both 6'6"? Just the angle of that photo?

Klitschko Points
    Wlad has a reputation for wearing lifts in his shoes at these press conferences. He was the same height as Fury at the weigh in of their fight.

Whether it happened or not doesn't matter. He was still lauded for it.

It is not possible to win a round without throwing a punch, obviously other then your opponent having a point deducted. (Though is you are offering zero offensive output I still doubt you would get the win in said round!)

Also, its the fight game. How can you actually enjoy someone fighting that negatively?

Hit dont get hit, hit again. That is the sweet science, there is more to it then simply not getting hit clean.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Wlad is standing slightly in front of him, more clear if your watching the video of the press conference. They also both smiled and scowled during the photo shoot.

Klitschko Points
    It is not possible to win a round without throwing a punch, obviously other then your opponent having a point deducted. (Though is you are offering zero offensive output I still doubt you would get the win in said round!)

Also, its the fight game. How can you actually enjoy someone fighting that negatively?

Hit dont get hit, hit again. That is the sweet science, there is more to it then simply not getting hit clean.

Of course it's possible to win a round without throwing a punch, you're just never likely to see it. Defensive skills score in professional boxing, as does effective aggression. Exceptional defensive skills can render aggression ineffective. You don't score for throwing and hitting clean air. You do score for making your opponent miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The only thing going against Joshua is that he has never really been tested and put under pressure.  How will he react if Wlad has a flurry and gets on top
    To be honest Joshua has foughts bums up (including the so called champ he defeated) until now, its a huge step up (provided its not the Wlad of the Fury fight)

Joshua Points
    kilns wrote: »
    The only thing going against Joshua is that he has never really been tested and put under pressure.  How will he react if Wlad has a flurry and gets on top
    To be honest Joshua has foughts bums up (including the so called champ he defeated) until now, its a huge step up (provided its not the Wlad of the Fury fight)

It is the big question... the other question is can and will Wlad put it to him?

So, question 1 is can AJ take Wlad's shots if they connect?

Q2. Will Wlad engage and throw spiteful shots?

I am guessing a mix of the two sees AJ win. 1 being AJ has a decent chin and 2 I don't see Wlad throwing spiteful shots..

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    Wlad is standing slightly in front of him, more clear if your watching the video of the press conference. They also both smiled and scowled during the photo shoot.

The H2H showed and inch or so advantage to Wlad.

Joshua Points
    Nice to see Bellew keeping in shape since his win over Haye. Just stepped on the scales at 237 lbs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

It is the big question... the other question is can and will Wlad put it to him?

So, question 1 is can AJ take Wlad's shots if they connect?

Q2. Will Wlad engage and throw spiteful shots?

I am guessing a mix of the two sees AJ win. 1 being AJ has a decent chin and 2 I don't see Wlad throwing spiteful shots..

Not sure AJ has a decent chin yet . Only really taken one from Whyte ( he did recover well )

However I think it's a different world getting caught by the bigger HWs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭ebbsy

mada82 wrote: »
    Can't wait for this fight. Genuinely intrigued in how it unfolds. Hoping for a wlad win though.

Can't get the lads to call around for this one yet they all came for Haye vs bellew.

Yeah but ye did charge 20 a head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cant understand anyone paying to sit in the clouds for this at wembley, would go if I was paid would need binoculars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Joshua Points
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Cant understand anyone paying to sit in the clouds for this at wembley, would go if I was paid would need binoculars.

Atmosphere,big occasion and just a night out would be a few reasons.

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    Wlad weighs 240 lbs

Joshua Points
    AJ weighs 250 lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Wlad is serious serious shape

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Joshua KO
    Joshua could be in trouble here, Klitschko seems so focussed on this fight!

Joshua Points
    Gamebred wrote: »

A lot of people aren't that interested in the fight itself. There for the drinking, chanting etc.

Dear god the undercard is absolute trash. Even by matchroom standards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement