Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Arthur.beaker

NiallBoo wrote: »
    I don't really get why places include a service charge - staff wages are a normal business cost and should be included fully in the price.

If you were to list VAT separately it wouldn't be allowed.

I thought it was usually for a party of 6 or above where they aim to serve each in the group at roughly the same time meaning the cooking and serving need to be coordinated for each course which takes more effort versus 3 parties of 2 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I thought it was usually for a party of 6 or above where they aim to serve each in the group at roughly the same time meaning the cooking and serving need to be coordinated for each course which takes more effort versus 3 parties of 2 etc.

If they can't cater to larger parties then don't take the booking. We've paid service charges on meals when there's been only two of us. I don't care as we'd leave a tip anyway but if they're charging a service charge we won't leave one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

But still a standard cost.
    You'll always make more on some sales than on others. Wages are a normal cost and if your prices don't reflect what you have to charge to make enough at the end of the week to pay your costs then your prices are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

NiallBoo wrote: »

If you were to list VAT separately it wouldn't be allowed.

Why wouldn't it. VAT should be shown on the bill. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hate the tipping culture that exists in some countries as I then wonder am I doing it right, as most people don't want to intentionally annoy someone by not following what is a culture thing.
    Like who do you tip, and who don't you tip.
    Like booking a tour abroad, and it says gratuities are not included with optional in brackets, which is kind of saying that a tip is expected.
    It can get complicated and sometimes it would be better to be ignorant on the whole culture of tipping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

RobertKK wrote: »
    Like booking a tour abroad, and it says gratuities are not included with optional in brackets

well that's good - i would feel a bit awkward getting a gift from a stranger.

I just came back from a work lunch with two colleagues. The bill came to 66.20, we all paid our share, and put 70 euro into the packet that the bill came in. The waitress took the pack and didn't come back with the change. We would have left the change as a tip, and maybe have thrown in another two euro, but as we got ourselves ready to leave, it became clear that the waitress didn't intend to provide change. I mentioned it to my colleague when the waitress said goodbye and he told me the same thing happened to him elsewhere with a larger amount of money.

Now i know this is a tiny amount of money, less than 4 euro, so obviously I'm not going to kick up a fuss, it's a very small amount of money, but as a customer I find this a bit of a peeve and would be reluctant to return there again

Is this a normal practice now? Or am I being unreasonably stingy in noticing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I am assuming this all relates to Ireland :

I may leave a tip in a restaurant if the service is exceptional. I never tip at the hairdressers even though i know this is the place most people tip at - their prices are INSANE so i wont be tipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I just came back from a work lunch with two colleagues. The bill came to 66.20, we all paid our share, and put 70 euro into the packet that the bill came in. The waitress took the pack and didn't come back with the change. We would have left the change as a tip, and maybe have thrown in another two euro, but as we got ourselves ready to leave, it became clear that the waitress didn't intend to provide change. I mentioned it to my colleague when the waitress said goodbye and he told me the same thing happened to him elsewhere with a larger amount of money.

Now i know this is a tiny amount of money, less than 4 euro, so obviously I'm not going to kick up a fuss, it's a very small amount of money, but as a customer I find this a bit of a peeve and would be reluctant to return there again

Is this a normal practice now? Or am I being unreasonably stingy in noticing it?

Happens in America all the time.

With your lunch situation, even if I had planned on leaving the change I would have taken it just for the fact she didn't offer it back, cheeky b1tch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

s15r330 wrote: »
    Happens in America all the time.

With your lunch situation, even if I had planned on leaving the change I would have taken it just for the fact she didn't offer it back, cheeky b1tch!

Well in America its actually how people make their wages up. I waitressed in America and my hourly wage was $2.15 - that was to encourage good service so people would tip more.

Parchment wrote: »
    Well in America its actually how people make their wages up. I waitressed in America and my hourly wage was $2.15 - that was to encourage good service so people would tip more.

I meant the keeping of the change without offering it back. That's just cheeky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The only people I tend to tip are barstaff and waitstaff. And even then, not always. Max tip would be 10% but for that it would have to be excellent service.

I travel to the US regularly enough and tipping is going insane over there. When I first started, 15% was the norm, then it went towards 17.5%, now it's encroaching 20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't tip.

Just pay the staff properly and raise the price of the service you're providing.Thats a much better way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

To think of all the ladies I have satisfied over the years, with just the tip.

It doesn't go unnoticed.

Really believe there is a lot to say about a man by how he treats people in these type of lower wage jobs. Grinds my gears to see people holding back and not giving a tip and a thank you.

myshirt wrote: »
    To think of all the ladies I have satisfied over the years, with just the tip.

It doesn't go unnoticed.

Really believe there is a lot to say about a man by how he treats people in these type of lower wage jobs. Grinds my gears to see people holding back and not giving a tip and a thank you.

Most people in lower paid jobs don't get tips.The whole idea of people tipping those in lower paid jobs is quite hypocritical because nobody has ever given a tip to a normal shop worker and any number of people who work in lower paid jobs but it seems people who serve in restaurants are an exception to this rule.

The whole thing is a load of nonsense and allows employers to get away with screwing their staff when they should pay them a proper wage.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^

Two people you should always treat well are those that you are riding and those that are feeding you. Normal shop workers don't fall in this bracket.

I don't tie in with your idea of trusting the employer to pay adequately. Sounds a bit like Angela Kerins where she said not to give money to disabled causes, to just give to her, and ah, you know, she'll make sure they get it.

How great an idea that was.

I'd prefer giving a young kid a tenner and saying put that in your arse pocket for yourself.

myshirt wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

Two people you should always treat well are those that you are riding and those that are feeding you.

And if they combine them both well, you usually tip them with a diamond engagement ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I tip if the service is excellent really doesn't matter who, tipped the lad delivering building materials the other day. He threw the grab over the wall for me, which generally most lads won't do - perfectly safe in this case but policy and all that so €14 took it to even money so told him to keep the change. That said I would be mighty pissed off if what the (new) OP is describing happened.

dudara wrote: »
    The only people I tend to tip are barstaff and waitstaff. And even then, not always. Max tip would be 10% but for that it would have to be excellent service.

I travel to the US regularly enough and tipping is going insane over there. When I first started, 15% was the norm, then it went towards 17.5%, now it's encroaching 20%
    That's nuts. But I guess it reflects their payscales. I think (hope) it wouldn't crop up here due to minimum wage legislation.

I'd only tip 20% for very small purchases (5 euro coffee and cake, leave a euro for a tip)

20% is unjustified for anything over a tenner.

I tend to top out my tips too. I generally don't go nuts but there is the occasional restaurant I'll go to where a table for two ends up over €150 - I tend to top out at a tenner, a little more if the service was excellent. It's different if it's a party of four or more then it tends to be the 10% range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thread has gone a bit Reservoir Dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Tip my barber, i get a hot towel shave on my head and then the same to tidy my beard up. Takes an hour if not more. Haircut is 15 quid but comes with a bear, charges me 25 all in all, will throw him a 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Tip my barber, i get a hot towel shave on my head and then the same to tidy my beard up. Takes an hour if not more. Haircut is 15 quid but comes with a bear, charges me 25 all in all, will throw him a 30

Where do you get the 30€ notes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

gramar wrote: »
    Where do you get the 30€ notes?
    Where does the barber get the bear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I wouldn't tip anybody. It is an obsolete practice from the age where those providing service to m'lud depended on his generosity to get by - thank you kindly Sir, oh your lordship is too kind, its my pleasure to server you sir.
    Today it is the height of condescension, and insulting to anyone it is given to. People have their price. Pay it. But dont act the rich man throwing a few pennies at your inferiors as if it's a trifle to you, but manna to feed a few starving children to the receiver. Respect people who provide you with a service - dont demean them with this archaic crumbs from the rich man's table routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I wouldn't tip anybody. It is an obsolete practice from the age where those providing service to m'lud depended on his generosity to get by - thank you kindly Sir, oh your lordship is too kind, its my pleasure to server you sir.
    Today it is the height of condescension, and insulting to anyone it is given to. People have their price. Pay it. But dont act the rich man throwing a few pennies at your inferiors as if it's a trifle to you, but manna to feed a few starving children to the receiver. Respect people who provide you with a service - dont demean them with this archaic crumbs from the rich man's table routine.
    Lol does this line of thinking help you feel better about never tipping??

Not saying i tip like there is no tomorrow, but never tipping? Naw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I always TIP as i work in a world where i get tipped so I believe in what goes around comes around..... Last night i got a tip of 1250 Euro :)(Equivalent of)

smurfjed wrote: »
    I always TIP as i work in a world where i get tipped so I believe in what goes around comes around..... Last night i got a tip of 1250 Euro :)(Equivalent of)

I just hope it didn't involve a gerbil.

I just hope it didn't involve a gerbil.

100 is typically the tip where it involves a gerbil, so god knows what went on here

may God have mercy on our souls

Luckily it didn't involve a Gerbil......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

fussyonion wrote: »
    I will tip a taxi driver if I have a spare euro or two but if I dont and he hands me back a tenner I wont tip.

I worked part time washing cars when I was younger, where nearly every customer would throw me a euro or two, except taxi drivers. They almost never tipped. I'm happy to do the awkward wait now, when they slowly look through their pockets for change in the hope I'll tell them it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

There are some right hungry bastards in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I always tip in restaurants providing I am happy with the service. I'll tip my barber at Xmas. I rarely use taxis but when I do, it's my FIL, so no tip.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I rarely use taxis but when I do, it's my FIL, so no tip.

Here's a tip. People that use abbreviations are so annoying, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Here's a tip. People that use abbreviations are so annoying, imho.

Says the man whose name is an abbreviation!

Says the man whose name is an abbreviation!

Busted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I cant help notice that nowadays that most people pay by card, its likely less likely that people tip.

It was more awkward when putting the amount in cash in a bowl and expecting change or getting exact amount.

However, now you can just pay exact amount by card although i have seen in some places where it pops up on the screen if you want to tip and you just click a button for yes or no.

I personally dont tip and I dont care what others think. Lets not delude ourselves, it exists so wealthy owners can get away with underpaying their staff because their customers are stupid enough to subsidise the staff costs..

If the owner of a restaurant/pub told you i pay my workers minimum wage and expect you as a customer to leave a tip to keep my workers happy so i can make more money, would you leave a tip?

Probably not but thats the situation in pretty much every restaurant or pub. In the minority of cases where staff are not on minimum wage then why would i be tipping anyways? Am i supposed to tip them for making a meal and delivering it to my table? Thats what im paying for when i pay for the meal.

Tipping is one of the most retarded frauds to have ever existed.

I'll only ever tip if I feel the person has gone out of their way to provide an excellent service outside of whatever their regular job is. The whole purpose behind tipping in places like America is because staff are on ludicrously low money, that people can't actually survive on. That isn't the case here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭purple_rose

I don't understand tipping in Ireland. Most people would be in minimum wage. I'm just earning a little over minimum wage and I'm expected to give it away if i use a service. Nobody tips me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I was paying by card in a restaurant once and said to the waitress to put in a 10% tip and she had to ask me what 10% of the bill was as she couldn't work out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I'll only ever tip if I feel the person has gone out of their way to provide an excellent service outside of whatever their regular job is. The whole purpose behind tipping in places like America is because staff are on ludicrously low money, that people can't actually survive on. That isn't the case here.

Give me an example of someone who has gone out of their way and a provided a service that was outside of what they are already getting paid to do?

lightspeed wrote: »
    Give me an example of someone who has gone out of their way and a provided a service that was outside of what they are already getting paid to do?

I got tipped €20 euro once.
    Worked after school in a petrol station. My job was to attend the shop and fill fuel, no more.
    No putting air in tyres, none of that craic as the airline was away from the shop and it was only a little place so I was on my own.
    I was told not to leave the shop unattended aside from filling fuel.

Old woman pulls in one evening off to the end of the forecourt with a puncture, not a hope of her changing it herself.

I locked the door and went over to change it, while intermittently stopping to go serve customers.
    I expected nothing, i'm happy to help someone who needs it but she offered €20, I declined and she insisted.

How bou dah?!

s15r330 wrote: »

How bou dah?!

You're fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

£2 tip for my haircut, it's £15 a cut.
    At least 10% in a restaurant if it's good,I distinguish between bad food and bad service too.
    Occasionally taxi drivers get the odd quid, especially if they've rounded down from the total to make it easier.

Certainly not me, but the biggest tip that i ever got was $10,000 and it didn't involve any Gerbils....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

lightspeed wrote: »
    Am i supposed to tip them for making a meal and delivering it to my table? Thats what im paying for when i pay for the meal.
    I agree with this, and I work in a restaurant! I get paid a good bit more than minimum wage in Ireland, in a city where the cost of living is much lower than at home. My job is to bring food to the table and I get paid quite okay for it, I don't know why people tip. I don't mind though :) 
    I also tip in restaurants if the service or food has been good, I tip in cafés if the coffee has been nice, I tip beauticians and hair dressers, occasionally taxi drivers. I don't know why it's exclusive to these services though, I worked for minimum wage in retail in Ireland and was never tipped, but it was almost the same work as in the restaurant, just products instead of food, so I don't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

smurfjed wrote: »
    Certainly not me, but the biggest tip that i ever got was $10,000 and it didn't involve any Gerbils....

How in the hell did you get a $10,000 tip?

I work in a bar. I often enough get tips or offered tips. I tell them they're grand, they don't have to tip, but yanks will insist sometimes. I'd get 15 or 20 a week in tips I'd guess.
    Soo, how did you get a $10,000 tip? Tell us more.

How in the hell did you get a $10,000 tip?

I work in a bar. I often enough get tips or offered tips. I tell them they're grand, they don't have to tip, but yanks will insist sometimes. I'd get 15 or 20 a week in tips I'd guess.
    Soo, how did you get a $10,000 tip? Tell us more.

He/She is either a stripper or a prostitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

if the waitress is lucky she'll get the tip, if she's really lucky she'll get the whole lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

FTA69 wrote: »
    A lot of places in London (and I assume Dublin is the same) are doing this and not paying the money to the staff. I always ask the staff do they get the service charge and if they don't get it in its entirity I ask for it to be removed from the bill and give them cash instead.

Absolutely disgraceful for a business to be basically stealing money from their staff and enticing extra from customers under false pretences. And often it's the big chains at it too.

Are you getting the staff who told you into sh1t thought?
    If not I think what you are doing is a good idea

I worked as a waitor in my youth and loved the manic restaurant buzz

You can often tell by the atmosphere in a place if the staff are happy or the management is robbing thier tips

• Advertisement
Advertisement