Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs? Where to play original music in Dublin?

Options
  • 08-10-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey, I cant seem to find any info on this, and it may just be that we are out of the loop after a few years not gigging but where are original bands gigging in Dublin these days?
    Can anyone share any contacts or venues or is it just a case of booking your own nowadays?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

PTO wrote: »
    Hey, I cant seem to find any info on this, and it may just be that we are out of the loop after a few years not gigging but where are original bands gigging in Dublin these days?
    Can anyone share any contacts or venues or is it just a case of booking your own nowadays?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

You've two types of gigs to play:

1. Showcase Gigs
    These are offered by 'promotion' companies which work with various bars. Venues like Fibbers Magees, Whelans and The Workmans Club let these companies rent the venue on quiet nights like Thursday.

Don't expect to get paid, but they are a good way to get back into the flow of things until you find your feet and build a social media presence (if you're doing that).

Companies to follow:
    The King Kong Club (General music, rock, acoustic, solo etc.)
    Control Promotions (General music)
    Dead End Music (Fibbers, heavy rock/punk/metal)
    Ex Oh Promotions (Fibbers, rock/indie/metal)
    Riffscene Promotions (Fibbers, rock/indie/metal)

2. Paid ticket gigs
    These are organised by companies where you are expected to sell a certain amount of tickets and you'll be given dividends.

Don't expect to make a lot of money, but they are a usually on busy nights like a Saturday and thus you'll get a lot more footfall.

We tend to use these for EP launch gigs were you want your own poster and promotions. It's basically getting a middle man to rent a venue for you, a lot of bars won't let you approach them without one.

Companies to follow:
    Garage Gigs (Workmans/Whelans/Grand Social)
    Whelans Midnight Hour

*Side note*

If you find out a way to get people, cash and a good venue please let me know, just inputting here, haven't got the big time yet, as you can see by the fact im posting on boards and not driving around in a Ferrari near the south of France with my millions of fans. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Thanks a million for the great reply. Very informative. I remember some of those names from back in the day alright. Will check them out.
    We have found a few gigs for ourselves. Possibly looking for a second band for one of them in November. PM me if you are interested!

Ferraris are overrated. Or so I hear!

Advertisement