Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly do I have to supply to tenants

Options
  • 08-10-2016 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm getting my house ready for new tenants and have a question. my previous question ended up getting 77 responses and ended up discussing who caused 2nd world war so I'm hoping this won't cause the same!

Anyhow what do I need to supply, I previously supplied everything, all appliances, kitchen ware down to teaspoons etc, laundry basket, etc.

However this time I want to supply only items I'm oblidged to as a landlord iykwim. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Thanks for those, didn't realise I was t oblidged to supply a dryer. I replaced one for the previous tenant 2 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Only when the tenants do not have a private garden or yard. (Of course its always better to provide one if you prefer to avoid mould issues.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for those, didn't realise I was t oblidged to supply a dryer. I replaced one for the previous tenant 2 years ago!

Only obliged if there is no outdoor space for drying.
    A balcony in an apartment is sufficient and a back garden in a house is sufficient.

If you have to rent one of those back to back town house type houses then there son private space, so dryer is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kceire wrote: »
    A balcony in an apartment is sufficient

Provided there are no management company rules saying now drying on the balcony. (Most complexes do have such rules.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Provided there are no management company rules saying now drying on the balcony. (Most complexes do have such rules.)

Yeah fair point which I've overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

kceire wrote: »
    A balcony in an apartment is sufficient and a back garden in a house is sufficient.

If you have to rent one of those back to back town house type houses then there son private space, so dryer is required.

I don't know if a balcony counts anyway. The regulations say it has to be a garden or yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

A Landlord in addition to providing a 4 hob oven/ and grill has to provide a microwave oven?
    Is this correct? A microwave is not an essential appliance for cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you're lifting 15k a year in rent, probably paying the bank 13k, never mind property tax, property management company, income tax etc., there is no point in getting worried about the price of a 100 microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

If you're lifting 15k a year in rent, probably paying the bank 13k, never mind property tax, property management company, income tax etc., there is no point in getting worried about the price of a 100 microwave.

The price of the microwave was not the focus of my query, it was the fact that it's considered essential, when it's clearly not.
    I don't own a microwave and don't see the need for one. If someone else feels they can't cook without one, that's up to them, but it's not an essential for cooking imo.

This has been debated here before and if I was you I would rent it unfurnished, only supplying what you have to as per the regulations above.

The logic goes thus: You generally want to attract stable professionals, either a couple or singleton. If they have been renting for some time already they probably have a couple of pieces of furniture already and/or wouldnt mind investing in the pieces they need. If they buy their own furniture they will probably look after their own property fairly well which should mean less wear and tear on your house, and they are less likely to move out on a whim as it means moving all their furniture out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MB Lacey wrote: »
    The price of the microwave was not the focus of my query, it was the fact that it's considered essential, when it's clearly not.
    I don't own a microwave and don't see the need for one. If someone else feels they can't cook without one, that's up to them, but it's not an essential for cooking imo.

Regardless of what you think and how you cook it is a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭nebraska132

athtrasna wrote: »
    Regardless of what you think and how you cook it is a legal requirement.

I assume if the tenants don't want the microwave then you don't have to provide it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally I agree with you that it's not essential.

But the middle-class luvvies who drafted the minimum list clearly thought otherwise. Kinda weird that a microwave is essential but a bed isn't, but there ya go.

I assume if the tenants don't want the microwave then you don't have to provide it

It would be foolish not to: despite what a tenant may verbally say, not proving an item on the governmnet's minimum list would be opening yourself up to claims that you've not followed the law.

Did you miss the "legal requirement" bit? It's not optional. The tenants can put it in the attic if they want but you are obliged to provide one.

I'd consider a microwave essential in this day and age and I would imagine most others would too. You would be very much in the minority's in not having or using one, in fact I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a house without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

P

But the middle-class luvvies who drafted the minimum list clearly thought otherwise. Kinda weird that a microwave is essential but a bed isn't, but there ya go.

You couldn't rent an unfurnished flat if a bed was legally mandated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

I'd consider a microwave essential in this day and age and I would imagine most others would too. You would be very much in the minority's in not having or using one, in fact I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a house without one.

yeah me too, not because I'm unable to cook, rather because I live on my own-i-ohs.. Cooking for 1.. Make dinner for 2 or 3, freeze/fridge and reheat the other portions when needed. Microwave essential for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Be serious, a microwave is not going to be a deal breaker.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    yeah me too, not because I'm unable to cook, rather because I live on my own-i-ohs.. Cooking for 1.. Make dinner for 2 or 3, freeze/fridge and reheat the other portions when needed. Microwave essential for that!

Exactly what I was thinking about, along with reheating dinner that's cooked when you get in late, defrosting when you forget to take out the meat for dinner, heating things like beans, cooking patatoes when you get in late, making porridge etc etc.

I use the microwave multiple times a day (at work and at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that list is crazy :eek:
    fridge, freezer, microwave, washing machine / dryer should all be tenants problem.

That's how it works here in NZ and means people actually start building a collection of furniture and appliance and they'll actually take care of them (though 99% places are rented unfurnished in general).

why so much over-regulation?

that list is crazy :eek:
    fridge, freezer, microwave, washing machine / dryer should all be tenants problem.

That's how it works here in NZ and means people actually start building a collection of furniture and appliance and they'll actually take care of them (though 99% places are rented unfurnished in general).

why so much over-regulation?

Because most people renting in Ireland have no interest in buying appliances. They buy them when they have their own house and then buy the ones that are suitable for it not some cobbeled togeater set of mismatched stuff that they have to drag around from place to place when they move house and all the extra hassle and expense of moving etc.

Because most people renting in Ireland have no interest in buying appliances. They buy them when they have their own house and then buy the ones that are suitable for it not some cobbeled togeater set of mismatched stuff that they have to drag around from place to place when they move house and all the extra hassle and expense of moving etc.

That doesnt answer the question of why so much over-regulation. Probably to ensure some Quango gets funding next year.

IMO, its no coincidence that bedsits got banned, and that list was updated around the same time incidents of homelessness sky rocketed.

That doesnt answer the question of why so much over-regulation. Probably to ensure some Quango gets funding next year.

IMO, its no coincidence that bedsits got banned, and that list was updated around the same time incidents of homelessness sky rocketed.

Over regulation is as subjective an opinion as essential. I'm sure there is logic behind the list.

Its chicken and egg. If youre renting in Ireland you wont find anywhere that will allow you to bring your own appliances.

I agree, renting unfurnished is better for everybody. On the Continent, even student flats are unfurnished. The student brings basiics from home or IKEA and starts to build up their furniture and appliance collection from then on.

Its better for the tenant and for the landlord.

That doesnt answer the question of why so much over-regulation.

Everything in Ireland is over regulated. I think it comes from the celtic tiger era when there was money for civil servants to do this and nobody worried about passing on the cost.

Also Ireland tends to ape the UK and gold plate what they do, and the UK is already notorious for over regulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Its better for the tenant and for the landlord.

How is it better for the tenant? A lot of house shares etc? Dublin rent is crazy and to expect someone to have their own is crazy the way we rent here. Although I am renting many years, a lot of places don't rent out longterm and tenants may not have security. In Germany etc it's normal to get contracts for a much longer term. I would hate to have to buy my own bits as like a previous poster mentioned I'll buy my own when I buy my own place. To the OP, buy a microwave, a cheap one if needs be. Better that that put off potential tenants.

Advertisement