Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit and Irish in London

Options
  • 08-10-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

So the headlines of the impacts of Brexit seem to be getting worse every day, and I'm wondering if Irish people are feeling the impact of it in London?

Was considering a move over, but this is really putting me off. Do you think it would make things harder to get a job? I know we have a "special relationship" but May worries me with her hardline approach to things.

Any thoughts appreciated.

(Mods, apologies if this belongs in the Megathread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Why is it putting you off? Irish peoples right to reside and work in the UK precedes any EU directive. Northern Irish people can claim an Irish passport so they can't discriminate against Irish people in the the UK. Irish passport holders were allowed to vote in the Brexit referendum.
    Things will be different after Brexit is fully implemented but I don't think Irish people will be effected that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

Thanks for the response.

I suppose I'm just concerned that employers would be less willing to hire non-UK workers. I don't really want to move over without a job, so I'd be hoping to apply from Ireland and just go over for interviews if I get them. Just worried that this will be harder now.

(I may just be buying in to all the scaremongering...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Given the amount of times over the years i've had conversations with the locals where they would openly complain about the foreigners coming over before i reminded them that i was also one of them, i doubt you'd have too much hassle. sometimes the locals do need a lot of persuasion to accept that ireland is a foreign country.

granted, some of these people, when we asked them where else was foreign, said France, because it was hot, but not Peterborough.
    they didn't think ireland was foreign because i used to drive home at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes, Irish never really seem to be included in the "invasion of foreigners" scenario, at least not in recent history.

Same as the previous poster, ive had people complain to me about foreigners before i prompted them that i too was a foreigner.

Employers will always see Irish as a safe bet. Our ability to freely travel and work in the UK will remain even after Brexit.

If you want to move here then just do it. Forget about Brexit.
    Remember that anything you see in the papers is wild speculation and fear mongering. It will be years before they even leave the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah the amount of times I've been told that my foreign status "doesn't count" as Ireland "isn't really foreign" and not all of them were messing.

You won't lose out on a job you're qualified for because of brexit. Any employer who hires a local knuckle dragger over a qualified non-national probably won't be an employer for long.

From our own perspective, I'm actually typing this in the antenatal ward as we're about to welcome a little bundle of sleepless nights. We don't want to raise a child here so I reckon we'll be back in Ireland in about a year. I can't really blame brexit on that but I am glad the house purchase fell through back in April. Had brexit not passed I'd probably be lamenting the house purchase falling though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 15YemenRoad

theteal wrote: »
    Yeah the amount of times I've been told that my foreign status "doesn't count" as Ireland "isn't really foreign" and not all of them were messing.

You won't lose out on a job you're qualified for because of brexit. Any employer who hires a local knuckle dragger over a qualified non-national probably won't be an employer for long.

From our own perspective, I'm actually typing this in the antenatal ward as we're about to welcome a little bundle of sleepless nights. We don't want to raise a child here so I reckon we'll be back in Ireland in about a year. I can't really blame brexit on that but I am glad the house purchase fell through back in April. Had brexit not passed I'd probably be lamenting the house purchase falling though.

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats! We had ours here 7 months ago, cost of childcare is nuts for when I go back to work next month. No idea what we're going to do long term.

Dual citizen here so Brexit has no direct effect, it's a bit depressing to see the Tories dragging the country to hell in a hand basket though. Islington voted 75% Remain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Congrats! We had ours here 7 months ago, cost of childcare is nuts for when I go back to work next month. No idea what we're going to do long term.

Dual citizen here so Brexit has no direct effect, it's a bit depressing to see the Tories dragging the country to hell in a hand basket though. Islington voted 75% Remain.

Weren't the Tories meant to bring in 30 hours free childcare per week or something?

I was actually consider dual citizenship if Remain had prevailed. Don't feel nearly as strongly now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Most of the free childcare hours seem to be for 3 year olds, not much use for us right now!

My mum was born in Birmingham so I've always had dual citizenship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fair enough. I think it's about £1,237 to get but you have to have lived here for 5 years with no criminal record. Brexit really put me off the idea though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

childcare is nuts in Ireland too tbh. look into childcare vouchers over here as you can put up to roughly £250 a month (tax and NI contribution free) per person in vouchers so is a decent saving over the course of a year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My parents are strongly advising me to apply for British citizenship - I'd be able to naturalise as I've been here long enough, but I'd really prefer to use that money for something else to be honest. Is anyone here considering doing it?

Scarinae wrote: »
    My parents are strongly advising me to apply for British citizenship - I'd be able to naturalise as I've been here long enough, but I'd really prefer to use that money for something else to be honest. Is anyone here considering doing it?

It's over £1,200. I was considering it if the referendum produced a remain result as a sign of my future here but now, I just see this as the country I happen to live in. It's a sum of money with a wide range of better uses. You could wait 6 months or so to see how the negotiations are panning out.

No need here as I'm a dual citizen but my husband probably should consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can i ask, why? What am I missing?

I know of English people applying for Irish passports over the last while but not the other way around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It's over £1,200.
    That's the main thing putting me off - I start daydreaming about the travel I could be doing instead.

I think the main reason my parents are suggesting I should apply for it is because my brother didn't apply when he was living in the UK and he moved back to Ireland in 2012 which means he's no longer eligible - his wife is British though, and if they place restrictions on EU citizens moving to the UK it could make it difficult for them to move back in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

But Irish passport holders aren't seen as foreign in the UK, they have the same rights as UK citizens. So Irish people have the right to remain in the UK.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41/section/2

Northern Irish people are allowed to be Irish citizens, so they can't discriminate against Irish passport holders as they could also be UK citizens.

The only thing I've see for the requirement for UK citizens is in areas of the government, you have to have to be a UK citizen with a UK passport to work in some areas for national security etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

you know you can't get security clearance anymore to work for the MOD with an Irish passport, that's discrimination?
    biZrb wrote: »
    But Irish passport holders aren't seen as foreign in the UK, they have the same rights as UK citizens. So Irish people have the right to remain in the UK.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41/section/2

Northern Irish people are allowed to be Irish citizens, so they can't discriminate against Irish passport holders as they could also be UK citizens.

The only thing I've see for the requirement for UK citizens is in areas of the government, you have to have to be a UK citizen with a UK passport to work in some areas for national security etc.

Scarinae wrote: »
    That's the main thing putting me off - I start daydreaming about the travel I could be doing instead.

I think the main reason my parents are suggesting I should apply for it is because my brother didn't apply when he was living in the UK and he moved back to Ireland in 2012 which means he's no longer eligible - his wife is British though, and if they place restrictions on EU citizens moving to the UK it could make it difficult for them to move back in the future.

Depends on what area you're working in. I'm in Biotechnology until I was recently let go. If I want to continue on that path, I'm effectively trapped in
    southeast England. Our right to live and work here is based on the CTA, not the EU. However, there is an issue with Northern Ireland so if they decided extend the proposed points system to include the Republic then I see the UK losing a lot of businesses. My housemate has just successfully obtained permanent residency which might be an alternative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any chance that the CTA is under threat post brexit? Are Ireland free to have a travel agreement with non EU countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any chance that the CTA is under threat post brexit? Are Ireland free to have a travel agreement with non EU countries?

No there is no chance that the CTA will be revoked. It wont work at all and there would be a revolt of both Ireland and English with living and working arrangements in each country.

Yes and we already do have common travel agreements with countries outside the EU. There are a huge list of countries which dont need visas.
    Check the list under "Schedule 1"
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/473/made/en/print

There is currently no benefit at all to applying for a british passport (except as mentioned some high security positions in the government) or your own personal desire to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Applying for citizenship can stay well of my radar so....

Advertisement