Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me buy my first car

• 08-10-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,
    So, I finally got my full license, and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth me buying my first car. Still undecided, and not that bothered but I'd like the freedom of being able to drive around a bit and not have to bus it everywhere, so I might aswell get started. Some caveats:
    - I'm over 25, and know F-all about cars bar they have 4 wheels and an engine.
    - Never had insurance (Nor been named driver). Not really a big issue, but I reckon boy racers cars will kill me, so it would be nice to get something that's not like a Honda civic (Which I don't really like the look of anyway). If it doesn't massively artificially inflate my insurance, I would be fine with a boy racer-ey car (I suppose).
    - I live in the city (And not a nice part) so I'd like something stylish but not flashy. Pretty happy to get something reasonably beat up and old as it will likely get even worse with me driving, so no point getting anything too nice.
    - I really like cars from the 90s, with flip up headlights (Does that make me lame?) The Mazda MX-5 is the kind of car I like, and it sells on done deal for a few hundred quid (Less then a grand anyway, which is what my price cap is). But there's not really many for sale, so they seem hard to get. Was hoping for something like that-ish though.
    - Not that worried about road tax and such. Just kinda want something cheap enough that if it gets totaled/nicked it won't break the bank, but that I could at least be not embarrassed to drive (And maybe spend a tiny bit of money on making nice on the inside or whatever).
    -No kids or much need for it to do more then go a to b without breaking down, so four seats, two seats, one seat, whatever.
    Anyone have any recommendations or point me in the direction of a type of care that would be roughly in that field?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unfortunately as you have never had an insurance policy in your own name before it's going to be expensive to get insurance on most cars. On a car like a MX-5 I'd say you will struggle to get a quote even being over 25 and holding a full license. Insurance premiums have gone up on average about 30% in the last year and they are also starting to refuse to insure cars over 10 or 15 years old.

I'd start by shopping around for insurance first as ultimately what you can insure or afford to insure will probably dictate what car you will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bust_A_Move

Eh, I'm not that bothered about insurance tbh. The cost of the car is more a reflection of the fact I reckon I'll probably do it some damage and thus don't really want to buy something new rather then a restriction on affording it, so I don't really mind if my insurance is a bit higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well as I said get a few insurance quotes first, it might be less straight forward than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Eh, I'm not that bothered about insurance tbh. The cost of the car is more a reflection of the fact I reckon I'll probably do it some damage and thus don't really want to buy something new rather then a restriction on affording it, so I don't really mind if my insurance is a bit higher.

Er, you need to change your thinking , Insurance is everything nowadays .Dont even think about buying a car without getting insurance quotes first, A lot of first time drivers cant even get quotes, and it will be way more expensive then you realize .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Hi all,
    So, I finally got my full license, and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth me buying my first car. Still undecided, and not that bothered but I'd like the freedom of being able to drive around a bit and not have to bus it everywhere, so I might aswell get started. Some caveats:
    - I'm over 25, and know F-all about cars bar they have 4 wheels and an engine.
    - Never had insurance (Nor been named driver). Not really a big issue, but I reckon boy racers cars will kill me, so it would be nice to get something that's not like a Honda civic (Which I don't really like the look of anyway). If it doesn't massively artificially inflate my insurance, I would be fine with a boy racer-ey car (I suppose).
    - I live in the city (And not a nice part) so I'd like something stylish but not flashy. Pretty happy to get something reasonably beat up and old as it will likely get even worse with me driving, so no point getting anything too nice.
    - I really like cars from the 90s, with flip up headlights (Does that make me lame?) The Mazda MX-5 is the kind of car I like, and it sells on done deal for a few hundred quid (Less then a grand anyway, which is what my price cap is). But there's not really many for sale, so they seem hard to get. Was hoping for something like that-ish though.
    - Not that worried about road tax and such. Just kinda want something cheap enough that if it gets totaled/nicked it won't break the bank, but that I could at least be not embarrassed to drive (And maybe spend a tiny bit of money on making nice on the inside or whatever).
    -No kids or much need for it to do more then go a to b without breaking down, so four seats, two seats, one seat, whatever.
    Anyone have any recommendations or point me in the direction of a type of care that would be roughly in that field?
    Thanks,
    I have a 02 Audi a4 you wont go far wrong with an Audi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bust_A_Move

Nah, I mean I'm pretty much ready to pay several grand a year, so unless your topping out at more then 15grand a year I think I'm probably good.

Besides, getting a bloody quote is such a circus, you have to have a billion details already, if you don't already own the car it's so bloody hard to get more then one quote.

Nah, I mean I'm pretty much ready to pay several grand a year, so unless your topping out at more then 15grand a year I think I'm probably good.

Besides, getting a bloody quote is such a circus, you have to have a billion details already, if you don't already own the car it's so bloody hard to get more then one quote.

It's not just about paying several grand a year, It's also about getting any insurance company to even insure you at all

Wonder if the OP got sorted, Or got a few quotes and decided to wait a few more decades?

Advertisement