Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan into the .... valley of the baboons

Options
  • 08-10-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

31 weeks to the start of Expedition Africa. It'll be my first ARWS race abroad and I am soooooo excited about it!!!! It's being held in the Eastern Cape of Africa and it looks A - mazing :D This is from the web site:

BAVIAANS AND THE SURROUNDING AREA OF KOUGA

"Teams will trek, kayak and cycle through extremely remote areas and venture where few humans have ever set foot before. From the mountains to the sea, the journey the destination.

The Eastern Cape is fondly known as the Adventure Province, and includes the Baviaans, Kouga, Tsitsikamma, Addo, Sunshine Coast, Karoo, Great Frontier and Wild Coast, and the highlight of the 2017 route of Expedition Africa will be the Baviaans.

The Baviaans, home to the Baviaanskloof Nature Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and biggest wilderness area in Southern Africa is the highlight of this year's 500km route. The 225 000 ha mega-reserve boasts unspoiled, rugged mountainous terrain with spectacular landscapes.
    The road through the Baviaanskloof road stretches from Patensie in the east to Willowmore in the west (197km) and nature lovers taking the untarred road find an almost pristine wilderness. The road itself is spectacular but very rough in parts. The seasonal rain can sometimes cause wash-aways and it is ultimate 4x4 territory.

The Baviaanskloof is a 75km long valley of varying width and depth that lies between the parallel east-west running Baviaanskloof and Kouga mountains. it is the third largest conservation area in the country, characterized by remarkable scenery, owning to the high geological, topographic and climatic diversity. Plant life is prolific and diverse with proteas, pre-historic cycads, giant Outeniqua yellowwoods and at least 70 succulent species growing in the Kloof. It is part of the Cape Floristic Kingdom.

An estimated 2500 plant species, including 20 endemic species, represents about 10% of all the plants in South Africa. It further boasts 33 endemic reptile species and 9 amphibians endemic to south Africa. More than a third op all south African bird species are found here. It boasts 7 of South Africa's 9 vegetation biomes, it is an ecological treasure.

Cape Mountain zebra, black rhinoceros, red hartebeest, buffalo and eland have since been re-introduced in addition to existing bush pig, klipspringer, grysbok, grey rhebok, bushbuck, mountain reedbuck and duiker. The low-lying valley slopes and bottoms are a haven for bush loving species like kudu, bush buck, common duiker and Cape grysbok. Buffalo tend to lie up in thick ravine bush during the day and move up into the densely vegetated slopes at night to feed.

The high-lying grassy plateaus and fynbos covered mountains are home to the red hartbeest, Cape mountain zebra, mountain reed buck, grey rhebuck and klipspringer. The eland are the great wanderers, moving over vast distances and utilizing a variety of habitats.

Caracal and leopard are the main predators in the area. Although caracal may occasionally be seen, the sighting of a leopard is still a very rare and noteworthy event (recent evidence suggests that their numbers are increasing).

Cape clawless otter, bushpig, aardwolf, aardvark and a host of other smaller mammals are still reasonably common despite being seldom seen.

The most ubiquitous species must certainly be Chacma baboons. They seem to have been just as plentiful, if not more so, in earlier times. The Dutch word for baboon, "baviaan", gave the area its name.

Baboons are reported to live for about 45 years. They are quite vocal animals as they roam around in search of food and bark alarms when they see a potential threat.

South of the Baviaanskloof Mountains lies the Kouga, the eastern gateway to the Garden Route. It includes a 600 km shoreline, known as the Coastal Cradle of Mankind between the Tsitsikamma in the west and the Van Stadens River in the east. It includes the towns of Jeffreys Bay (famous for its perfect surfing waves), St Francis Bay, Cape St Francis and Oyster Bay. It is a major international, national and regional tourism attraction.

The Gamtoos River Valley is the eastern gateway to the Baviaanskloof Wilderness Reserve, and is characterised by wide, fertile flood plains associated with low-lying land and steep less-fertile slopes. The towns of Hankey and Patensie, Loerie and Thornhill are focal points of this high-potential agricultural region.

The climate of the area is subtropical, which makes it conducive to a range of outdoor activities. Rainfall varies between 650 mm per year (St Francis Bay area) to 400 mm (Gamtoos River Valley)"

At the moment I'm not in great shape. I did a trail ultra in the glen of aherlow 3 weeks ago and it was tough. I wasn't properly trained for it and it's left its mark. There was a lot of hills. The uphill took it out of my glutes and the downhills trashed my quads. I have never come out of a race in such bad shape. It took two weeks before I was able to walk properly and I still have pain when I run. It was worth it though. I loved it :D
    I started back on the kayak erg and the turbo this week. I've kind of committed to running xc with the club and I managed to hobble around the county novice last week but it was not pretty. I was sore all week after it and I did a run last night in the track and I'm in a bad way today. Intermediates is next Sun and I know I shouldn't do it but I probably will :( I have an appointment with the PT on Tues and I'll see how that goes before deciding.
    I have a big karate tournament on Oct 30th and I'm doing squad sessions as well this year so I need to practice a lot. Luckily this seems to be one of the few things that I can do pain free but it's hard work.
    I'm heading to Melbourne for a month at xmas. That's in 10 weeks and I'd like to be in good shape by then so I can do an intensive 4 weeks of warm weather training. I want to do a few of the shorter IMRA races next year and I'm hoping Peter and Mike will be able to do lots of kayaking with me. The mountain biking I can get done on my own.
    Top priority is sorting out my legs. Swimming was a big help before so next week I'm back in the pool!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

New log, new log, new log to follow yeaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm so glad to see you back :) Wow Team #TriHarder are heading for Expedition Africa, it sounds pretty amazing :) What a way to see the Eastern Cape :)

GodZone in 2018 then?

How is your recovery from ITERA going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    New log, new log, new log to follow yeaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm so glad to see you back :) Wow Team #TriHarder are heading for Expedition Africa, it sounds pretty amazing :) What a way to see the Eastern Cape :)

GodZone in 2018 then?

How is your recovery from ITERA going?

Em, no, not TriHarder. Just me. One of the South Africans who was over for Itera was looking for a female racer to join their team for EA and I jumped at the chance :D The TriHarder boys are all busy doing grown up stuff anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Totally. Deadly.

And there was me wondering who'd stolen and bastardised your log title...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Totally. Deadly.

And there was me wondering who'd stolen and bastardised your log title...
    Haha :D

Do you like it???? I had a light bulb moment ;)

Em, no, not TriHarder. Just me. One of the South Africans who was over for Itera was looking for a female racer to join their team for EA and I jumped at the chance :D The TriHarder boys are all busy doing grown up stuff anyway :D

You're going rogue :O Only kidding, it will be invaluable experience to race with a different team :)

A kayak erg? Did you buy one of the fancy ones I've seen online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

A Kayak erg?? I didn't even see that I was so distracted with the baboons!

joey100 wrote: »
    Imagine how distracted the baboons will be when this blondie lunatic comes tearing through their homes, probably trying to put a spurt on the three lads in the team...

Neady83 wrote: »
    A kayak erg? Did you buy one of the fancy ones I've seen online?
    God no. I've already spent far too much money on my AR obsession :D
    It's a homemade one. Pretty simple really. I got a power bar in Lidl ages ago which is a bar about a metre long connected to two long heavy duty resistance bands. These have loops on them that I secure to the legs of the kitchen table and then I sit on a chair about a metre and a half away and use the bar as a paddle. You can replicate the paddling motion pretty well and you get a good workout into your arms but obviously it's not as good as being out in a kayak.
    My kitchen is more like a gym at the moment with a turbo by the window, this yoke attached to the kitchen table and a yoga mat in the middle of the floor :D

Imagine how distracted the baboons will be when this blondie lunatic comes tearing through their homes, probably trying to put a spurt on the three lads in the team...
    I'll be quite at home with the baboons :D
    It's the African buffaloes you want leave in peace :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Sounds like a good set up career move, sounds similar to any of the purpose built ones I've seen. I'd look at maybe sitting a bit lower if you can, and have something to brace your feet on, to try mimic the position in the kayak as much as possible. I'll have to suggest what you have done to my brother, he competes in kayaking and was looking at buying an erg but that sounds like a lot more portable and cheaper alternative.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good set up career move, sounds similar to any of the purpose built ones I've seen. I'd look at maybe sitting a bit lower if you can, and have something to brace your feet on, to try mimic the position in the kayak as much as possible. I'll have to suggest what you have done to my brother, he competes in kayaking and was looking at buying an erg but that sounds like a lot more portable and cheaper alternative.
    Ya Joey that's the drawback. I haven't come up with a way that I can engage my legs. If you imagine the bar is quite long so I hold it like a paddle and there's about a foot extra at either side. So if you sat on the floor and tried to paddle like you would in a boat, it wouldn't work because the bit at the end gets caught on the floor. I might try using another chair to brace my feet on and see how that works!

Edit: Just tried that. It's much better having my legs on another chair although I can't put much force down through them

I got a power bar in Lidl ages ago which is a bar about a metre long connected to two long heavy duty resistance bands. These have loops on them that I secure to the legs of the kitchen table and then I sit on a chair about a metre and a half away and use the bar as a paddle. You can replicate the paddling motion pretty well and you get a good workout into your arms but obviously it's not as good as being out in a kayak.
    That's bloody genius that is! Necessity being the mother of invention, and all that.

That's bloody genius that is! Necessity being the mother of invention, and all that.

It is :D Unfortunately I can't claim credit for it. Mike spotted the powerbar in Lidl and it was his idea to use it for a kayak erg. I think he has his connected in some way to his rowing erg machine

Oct 8th - Oct 29th

The last 3 weeks have been ok. I went to a physical therapist to sort out my legs. Both calves (lateral esp) Quads (VL esp) Glutes (Med esp) and the TFL were all really really tight. There was a small tear in the right medial quad. Both SI joints were out of line and he was able to manipulate the right back in to place but not the left. This was followed by an hour of painful massage. And not because he was going particularly deep in. My muscles were all so, so tender. He also said my left leg is shorter than my right. I think nearly every PT/physio/quack that I've been to has mentioned this and Paddy said it could be sorted by using some cheap heel raisers. They were about 5 each delivered and I've been using them for most of the 3 weeks. I started out running 2 min/walk 1 min x 10. I did that a couple of times and my legs were still very sore so back for another hour of pain 10 days ago. My muscles were noticeably looser but it still hurt like hell and I was nearly reduced to tears by the finish.
    This week I've managed 2 x 20 min runs and a 30 min run today with strides and they've all been pain free so happy days. Im going to build it up very slowly over the next couple of months. I've signed up for a 15k trail run at the end of November. It's at night and I'd like to be in a position to do that in around 2.5 hrs. I've also signed myself up for a 56 km trail run across some of the Blackstairs mountains in the middle of March. Fingers crossed I'll be able to get some 30 - 35k runs done in the new year before it.
    I've been to the pool 6 times. I usually do around 30min and between 1000 - 1300m. It's not doing anything to improve my swimming but I find the water is magic for my muscles! I was doing a lot of yoga but it's not as useful as swimming.
    I've been fairly consistent on the bike but no sessions longer than an hour. It's all easy work at the moment but planning to step that up in the next while and get out for some longer spins on the MTB.
    My main focus has been karate. We've a big tournament this weekend so it's been practise, practise, practise. The thing I love most about karate is the more you apply yourself, the better you get. It's very rewarding :D

Karate: 11.5 hr
    Yoga: 5.5 hr
    Turbo: 5 hr
    Swim: 3 hr
    Kayak erg: 2.5hr
    Run/walk: 2hr
    Run: 1.5 hr
    Sports massage: 2 x 1hr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Handy way with the 'erg' is to sit on a low stool or a small exercise ball / bean bag with feet on a cushion in front of you. I used to use foam cubes I had from work which meant the 'paddle' went into the water as my butt was 18"-2' off the ground. Keep the attachment low down and you really get the feel of the stroke.

Mike has his attached to the legs of the rower erg and simply straps his feet in for the seating postion.

Expedition Africa "In an Adventure Racing first, there will be a dark zone implemented on one of the trekking legs due to Buffalo" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This is going to be epic. How is training going K?

Hey Neady :)

Ya I'm so excited! Only 9 weeks to go. Literally counting down the days!

Training is going very well and I have my hip under control which is great. I've done a couple of big weeks. One in Jan and one in Feb but mostly I'm just tipping away keeping things consistent. I'm back racing with the club as well. Not at the same level as I was but getting back there slowly.

Hope all good with you. Best of luck in The Race. We'll all be following the tracker and routing for you :D

Quick catch up while I'm on the turbo. I know it's a sin when it's such a nice day but I just love spinning away on the bike listening to music and I'll be out all day tomorrow on the bike.
    So last time I posted was October. I was having on going issues with my hip and the PT sessions were helping but not really solving the problem.

November

In the 30 days ending Nov 30th, 2016:
    activity # time miles +m
    Karate 11 20:00:00
    Run 11 10:26:45. 63.45 (9:53)
    Swim 6 3:20:00 2.3
    Trek 1 3:00:00 5.75 (1.9/h)
    Bike 2 1:20:00
    Stretching 2 55:00
    Core 2 10:00
    Total 25 39:11:45 71.5
    averages - rhr:46

The hip problems continued. I think I was trying to run every second day and I managed to hobble around the SEMRA trail run towards the end of the month with Dilbert from these parts (15.5k in 1:45) I remember my hip being quite sore that night and I was so grateful to have company to take my mind off it. I was sick with a head cold for a few days and didn't get any biking done really. As you can see from the table karate was my main focus. There was a tournament and a grading coming up in December and it was the only thing I could do with minimal hip pain.

December:

In the 31 days ending Dec 31, 2016:

activity # time miles +m
    Karate 8 10:00:00
    Bike 9 8:40:00
    Stretching 9 3:45:00
    Swim 5 3:30:40 3.88
    Trek 5 3:16:00 2.7
    Yoga 4 2:10:00
    Core 6 1:55:00
    Run 3 1:35:00 4.52
    Sports massage 1 1:00:00
    Hip work 1 35:00
    Total 25 36:26:40 11.1

Got my green belt in karate and at the tournament a bronze in Kata and silver in Kumite. Hip was still at me. Went to see my sister in Melbourne for xmas. My hip was really making me feel depressed and I was considering getting another MRI but while I was in Oz, I did a good bit of research into my hip pain and I diagnosed myself with Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome which is primarily a disease of the gluteal tendons with secondary inflammation of the trochanteric bursa. I decided physios, PT's and quacks were a waste of my time and money and I embarked on a 12 week rehab plan. Didn't get much proper training done this month.

January:

In the 31 days ending Jan 31:

activity # time miles +m
    Trek 7 18:18:20 51.12 1040
    Bike 4 6:53:38 109.5 (15.9/h)
    Walk 5 6:51:02 7.64
    Bike turbo 6 6:50:00
    Karate 4 6:05:00
    Hip work 14 5:25:00
    Run 8 5:07:12 31.57 (9:44)
    Swim 6 3:20:00 3.11
    Run/Walk 4 2:36:04 9.76
    Kayak erg 3 2:35:00
    Kayak 1 2:00:00
    Core 3 55:00
    Total 28 66:56:16 212.7 1040
    averages - weight:145lbs

I was in Melbourne until the 22nd and once Claire went back to work I got some good training done. A few
    long treks on my own and some good bikes and some sea swims. Claire and I used to run in the evenings when she was home from work and jump straight into the sea after. It was so warm it was bliss.
    We did a moonlight kayak on the river Yarra. Flat water, warm and sunny to begin with and when the sun went down there was a full moon. We started on Victoria quay and kayaked around the harbour before stopping for fish and chips served in the boats. We started off again and went under Bolte Bridge through to Melbourne’s lively downtown. We had a lovely vista of the full moon and then continued on past the Crown Casino and alongside stylish Southbank. We stopped here to watch the dramatic “fire-ball” display at 9pm and then kayaked on for another 20 minutes past Flinders Street Railway Station and beneath historic Princes Bridge. The boats were double sea kayaks and had a rudder .... such a treat compared to the SOT!! Another highlight was the trek Claire and I did up the Grampians. We did the 6hr drive in a vintage VW combi van. It was pretty cool. I didn't realise when I was booking it that it was a vegan experience but the food was lovely. Claire was nearly a convert until she realised the organisation that was going to be required to plan her meals and anyway she caved when we stopped for burgers on the way home.
    The hip rehab was going ok but I thought I should be making more progress so I started doing more weight based exercises and they were the business. I did a long trek in the Galtees with the walking club but it was too slow and I was driven demented by all the stops especially as it was Baltic.

February:

In the 28 days ending Feb 28:

activity # time miles +m
    Bike turbo 13 11:40:00
    Run 13 9:43:18 60.6
    Kayak erg 7 6:55:00
    Bike 2 5:43:41 75.7 (13.2/h)
    Trek 1 5:29:52 21.75 (4.0/h) 686
    Core 16 4:57:00
    Karate 3 4:30:00
    Hip work 14 3:10:00
    Stretching 1 15:00
    Total 24 52:23:51 158.04 686
    averages - sleep:9 rhr:43 weight:144lbs

This is the first month where there's no mention of hip pain in any of my notes and that is thanks to all the hip work and core I was doing.
    I ran the 3k leg in the county road relays and we got div b silver. The club had 5 women's teams and 3 men's and we cleaned up with the medals.
    Also ran novice 3k in 12:44. Really noticed how unfit I was so I started meeting Angela for track sessions. I did a 35k trek on my own around the roads at home at the end of a 20hr week and 2hrs on the kayak erg. My weight is annoying me cause I'm a stone heavier than when I ran my marathon pb in 2013 and I can't seem to lose even a pound.

March:

In the 31 days ending Mar 31:

activity # time miles +m
    Karate 8 12:30:00
    Run 15 11:58:20 73.16 316
    bBike turbo 9 8:30:00
    Kayak erg 9 6:45:00
    Hip work 19 4:50:00
    Trek 1 2:47:52 8.33 (3.0/h) 940
    Bike 2 2:04:02 26.41 (12.8/h)
    Core 5 1:25:00
    Swim 1 45:00
    Run/Walk 1 30:00 2.63 (11:25)
    Yoga 1 20:00
    Stretching 1 15:00
    Total 29 52:40:14 110.52 1256
    averages - sleep:8.6 rhr:44 weight:145lbs

I got vaccinated for hep A, typhoid and tetanus. Stupid pharmacy promised me they'd have the hep B by Mar 30th but they didn't.
    I did some great speed sessions with Angela on the track and once on the hills and it paid off as Angela won the novice b and I came second (3k in 11:38). It was one of my best races I've run. I paced it well and we won team gold as well. The men won individual and team gold as well so great day for the club.
    I didn't run so well in the intermediates (4K in 18:xx) the next week but I did do a great trail run up in the Galtees with the Tipp trail runners and some good sessions on the turbo and kayak erg.
    We lost one of our team mates for Africa. Rob got a new job in America and wasn't able to get the time off but he was quickly replaced with Leanne. She's from South Africa as well and has a good bit of experience in shorter Adventure Races and has a few podium finishes to her name so I'm really looking forward to racing with her.

Jeez K. You got 5 months and a month in Oz into fewer words than my race report.

My ass was getting sore :D

• Advertisement

I just read that yer down a team member K, I hope ye've had some luck in finding someone.

Have you started packing? Anything interesting on the kit list?

Hi Neady Ya Clive broke his leg a couple of days ago. I don't know the exact details but I think it was a simple enough fall. Leanne was mugged in a shopping mall today so I'm starting to wonder who's put a curse on us?!? These things usually happen in threes though right?!
    We have nobody to fill in yet but we're hopeful someone will turn up. Worse case scenario, Stephan the RD, has said he will allow us to race non competitively as a team of 3.
    The Air Horn, to warn off the Buffalo is the only surprise in the kit list. Apparently Stephan and Heidi were charged a number of times while they were scouting. All the usual stuff then including the climbing gear. I haven't packed yet but I am getting a little concerned about the weight allowance!!
    I saw you had another super run at the weekend. Huge congrats :D I hope you are resting up this week at least!!!!!

So, have you enough bubble wrap to cover yourself from head to toe between now and lift off? I really hope ye find someone but if not, glad that they'll let ye race anyway. Ye have much too much time and money invested to not be allowed to tow the start line.

Ha ha an air horn, brilliant. I was wondering if there might be a 100ltr black bag for killer bees but an air horn is equally as fun :) Sure you're from Ireland, well used to herding cattle, won't be a bother to you :) I can't even begin to think about how you'd plan the logistics for a race like this.

Thanks for that, yea, Connemara really put it up to me :) for the last 8 weeks, I feel like I've either been recovering or tapering without doing any real training so I'm looking forward to getting a bit of routine back :) Hopefully that will curb my appetite too :D

April:

activity # time miles +m
    Run 15 14:08:20 76.99
    Bike 3 13:20:54 157.5. 2453
    Bike turbo 10. 9:55:00
    Karate 5 7:30:00
    Kayak erg 7. 6:50:00
    Hip work 14 3:30:00
    Walk 4 1:52:59 3.3 84
    Run/Walk 2 1:13:20 3.98
    Trek 1 25:00 1.49
    Core 2 10:00
    Total. 27 58:55:33 243.25 2537
    averages - sleep:10 rhr:43

April was a good training month. I did 2 long mountain bike rides. Both over 6hrs (118k and 103k). Pretty hilly too >1200m. And I did some good sessions on the turbo.

My hip had been really good this month and I got a couple of good long runs done. One was a 12 mile progression run with the last mile in 7:14. I did a couple of good tempos but I was disappointed last week with my run in the seniors (5k in 21:54). We had county track and field today and I won the 800m in 2:56. Delighted because I beat a woman from one of the other clubs who has beaten me in every road race that I've done for the club.

I was fairly consistent with the kayak erg up until this week and I've been good with the stretches and strength work for my hip.
    The last week has been nice. I'm happy to be tapering and it's nice not to have to keep pushing myself to do multiple sessions every day. I've been sick for the last few days but my resting heart rate was back to normal today and I'm not flying to South Africa for another week so it's good timing! I got my first Hep b vaccine. The second one is due May 4th. I won't have the full course as you need another after 6 months for full immunity but it should be adequate.

The big news is we have ourselves an awesome new teammate. He's South African and super qualified and he's a grade 5 whitewater kayaker so he'll bring some much needed kayaking strength to the team. Thank god I only have to work 4 days next week because I am beyond excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck!

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'm not on boards much lately but a quick read of your log tells me you're running away and keeping injury free :D Are you doing the 7 hills? Best of luck if you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks. I'm not on boards much lately but a quick read of your log tells me you're running away and keeping injury free :D Are you doing the 7 hills? Best of luck if you are!

That's the plan as long as I can raise my bum off the sofa to do the recces over the next few weeks :rolleyes:.

I arrived in Port Elizabeth yesterday via Heathrow and Johanneaburg. I'm the first of our team to arrive.
    Damon and Leanne come tomorrow and Ico on Friday. It'll be nice when we're all here to talk tactics and race plans :D
    Even though I slept a good bit, it was a long day/night of airports, and flights. I had to collect and check in my luggage in jo'burg and a porter took my bike from me to the fragile check in and then asked me for 300 Rand. He said he had to give it to the men at the check in. I have it to him because I feared for my bike! But it made me feel like I was a gullible foreigner!!! At least I had no problems with my bike and bag when I got to PE! I joined the Japanese team East Wind for our transfer to the HQ. They were friendly but we were all like zombies after the flights so we didn't talk much. A curious thing I noticed on the drive was the number of hitchhikers on the highways!! The driver told me there are often fatalities and it's easy to believe! I also saw a zebra :)
    The teams are based at Cape St Francis resort. It's really beautiful and our house is a 2 minute walk from the beach. I went for a long walk along the coast today. It was about 20 degrees with a clear blue sky and the Indian Ocean was thundering off the nearby rocks.
    Bliss :D
    Cape St Francis seems like it's a well off area with nice houses and nice cars but 2 miles out the road there's a shanty town with people living in tiny galvanised huts with not an inch of space between them. It really highlights the gulf between rich and poor. Also the black South Africans do all the menial jobs like housekeeping and manual labour.

Thanks for the update and all the info. K. Delighted you're settling well and really looking forward to watching the dots :) Great to see a relatively large Irish contingent there too.

Keep em coming and in case you don't check back before the off, a massive massive best of luck to you and the Tumbleweeds :) I hope you really have some fun out there exploring :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Neady :D

We got the maps for Leg 5 and 6 yesterday and the Route book. So exciting!!!! There's 12 legs in total; 3 kayak, 3 massive bike legs and 6 treks. Nothing that looks too scary on paper. (Famous last words!!!!!!!)

Leg 6 is the trek in the Baviaans with the dark zone. From our timings it's looking like we'll be lighting ourselves a camp fire and getting a 10 hr sleep then. That's definitely something to look forward to :D

The race is kicking off with a 5k trail run and a sea kayak. I'm going to be paired with Ico in the boats and he's a kayaking machine so it's happy days for me!!!! We seem to have gelled pretty well as a team so far. No major personality clashes yet anyway!

We spent a lot of yesterday organising gear into our kit bags and boxes and buying last minute supplies. Before I hand in my bike this morning, I have to do an emergency trip to the bike shop to get my tyres changed to tubeless or else I'm told I'm going to be plagued with punctures. Then we have gear checks, a visit to the penguin sanctuary and an afternoon chilling over the maps.

I don't expect to sleep much tonight and we have an early start Sunday and then it's finally time to start. I can't wait. As a wise man said, I'm going to enjoy every breath of it :D

Advertisement