Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan into the .... valley of the baboons

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

http://www.kineticgear.org/live-tracking/

Wow Team #8 SANZA seem to be going backwards after collecting CP13 and are literally 400m from Kates Team (#9) on the opposite side of the ridgeline.

Kates Team had the Lantern Rouge (last team on full course) and were nearly 5km (up at 3500m+ altitude) behind the next team. They are motoring on this trek and may be handing over that Lantern soon! 3 of the 14 Teams have either withdrawn or lost team members along the way so Kates Team are currently 11th.

Crap! Leaderboard just updated and Team Adventure Life (Kate's Team) had 1 member withdraw at T4 :-( No update on Social Media yet so I'll keep ye posted as soon as I know more. Still the 3 left on the Team are moving well.. Fingers Crossed Kate is still moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Oh no! Yes fingers crossed it's not Kate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Crap! Leaderboard just updated and Team Adventure Life (Kate's Team) had 1 member withdraw at T4 :-( No update on Social Media yet so I'll keep ye posted as soon as I know more. Still the 3 left on the Team are moving well.. Fingers Crossed Kate is still moving

Oh wow hope all is well, your great for updating I am not sure what I am looking at

The Team have 1 Control Point to Go but its about 7 hours away and its dark there now. As long as they stick to the ridge and slowly climb they should be ok. Maybe get there for dawn which should be spectacular at 5,000+m

They are about 2hrs behind the next 2 teams and anything could happen overnight. Once they crest that summit its another 12-13hrs trekking all the way back down to Leh, the finish town.

• Advertisement

Hmm looks kike it was low oxygen/altitude sickness that got to SKYLOTEC
    From the scant social media below...
    "What a long day. Especially for the team.
    As I said earlier the team was on their way back, and they didn't go through climbing the mountain. The team had too low oxygen levels at basecamp, so they couldn't go further.
    Anna and Jonas got picked up on the mountain by a chopper and Simon and Men are at Transition 4, being taken care of. They're all ok. I visited Anna and Jonas and they were smiling, really keen on leaving the hospital and getting the team back together.
    Feeling very happy that all are well and so proud of them.."

Gutted for Kates team too "Adventure Life". They backtracked to T4 too and hopped on the bikes to pedal to the finish. They are bout 60-90mins from the line now. I guess it was either a cut off missed, altitude issues or injury. The Social Media is not great from the region so we will get the real deal when Kate is back on the Emerald Isle

Clip below - Team Adventure Life 1:52 - 2:02
    https://youtu.be/aOzlGNLRAvg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's an unreal race. Thanks for sharing the link & posting the updates Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

From the Sleepmonsters FB page
    It looks like all the teams are now back in the finish town of Leh at Expedition India. Here's the story of one of them, Team Adventure Life, and some wise words too;

After persevering to the basecamp, Mike realized that he was too sick to continue with an oxygen level at 70. He had to call it and come down the mountain, being towed with a trekking poll by Stephan. He left in a bus back to Leh and tried to rest before meeting his team at the finish with Zane.

Kate and Jay were given the go ahead to continue the attempt to summit the mountain. They had to carry all the compulsory gear usually distributed evenly between members, which added a lot of weight. As they reached 4500m Jay started feeling nauseous and dizzy, which are dangerous symptoms of altitude sickness.

Cleverly, they decided to be safe and descend the mountain being forced to quit the summit, but preserving their lives.
    They then got a lift from the bus to the last CP point in the market street of Leh, where they could walk through the finish arch and still feel like accomplished champions!

Mike and Zane got their team bibs to join them at the finish. Their unity and passion for the race and for the team are admired by everyone!
    They were met with champagne, finisher scarves and treated like kings and queens.

We are so proud of the team for taking on sickness, altitude and persevering through a tough race. Here's to many more races!
    "Life is like a photograph, you need the negatives to develop so that you can see the beauty in the picture"

Kate, you legend :) Well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks Neady :D

Just in airport now. Finally have some wifi!!!!! I've had such an incredible experience with the most amazing team. When I finally get round to doing a race report it's going to be EPIC!!!! Thanks to Mike for the updates and to everyone for following :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Legend is right!!!! Wow, that sounds tough tough tough but exhilarating and exciting too!! Can't wait to hear all, well done Kate, you're just awesome.

• Advertisement

Leg 2 Sonamarg
    Thurs 14th
    Part of acclimatisation we hiked to glacier @ 3700m. Jason got altitude sickness on the way down and puked his guts out. Twice. We had to totally back off the pace and were the last team to finish. By two hours :eek:
    There were herders moving sheep and horses along the pass and it was really cool sharing the track with them.

https://youtu.be/HUgJekAxsGQ

That's us at 2:03 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Kate cannot wait to read the reports sounds like an epic adventure and a hard one

Advertisement