Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel vs petrol

• 08-10-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to buy a new car in the year, probably something like a mondeo or passage.

I've been pretty much just looking at diesals, probably just because I'm assuming it's the new norm and assuming depreciation might be higher on petrol these days.

I do about 15000km a year, mostly short 5 or 10 min commute and a one or two hour drive then over couple of weeks

Should I be thinking more about a petrol?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes if it's short 5-10 minute commutes get a petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

No question about it. Petrol is what you should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It does sound like your driving style is suited to a petrol but you will struggle to find a post 09 Mondeo petrol. Petrol Passats are available but are thin on the ground.

Do you need a car the size of a Mondeo or Passat or would something a little smaller do as there are hybrid cars out there that would have no problem with short stop/start journeys, will still return good fuel economy and be uber reliable. Something like a Toyota Auris or Prius hybrid would do the job but they would not offer the same level of space that a Mondeo or Passat would offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I would like a bit of space tbh, - have a couple of kids in tow.
    I'd be buying new. Actually, if I went petrol I could possibly stretch to an Audi A4 avant - 1.4 TFSI.

My main concern would be resale value to be honest, - for a smaller car petrol would probably not depreciate too badly, - but for something like an A4 or Passat the hit could be too much.
    For example on carzone.ie I see 130+ Diesal A4 Avants and just 2 petrol, - which are both Pre-2010.

So, it is on resale I think that I am being put off on Petrol
    ac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

How long will you be keeping the car? If it's 2-3 years you might get away without diesel issues. In saying that petrol is coming back.

• Advertisement

How long will you be keeping the car? If it's 2-3 years you might get away without diesel issues. In saying that petrol is coming back.

what issues?
    I would generally do a decent drive ( hour or 2 each way) every couple of weeks. Is this frequently enough to burn off?

Yeah, I heard that about petrol possibly making a comeback if they change how emissions are measured, - its hard to be sure what exactly will happen though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

With a newer car it'll mainly be dpf issues. Not guaranteed but it's from interrupted regens or burn offs. Town driving isn't ideal and over time it might cause a clogged dpf. If it was a long term keeper you probably will have an issue at some point but if you change regularly it might not cause an issue.

New car warranties differ on covering dpfs so check out if it's covered.

Toyota Auris Touring estate is available as a hybrid if it would suit space wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

ravendude wrote: »
    what issues?
    I would generally do a decent drive ( hour or 2 each way) every couple of weeks. Is this frequently enough to burn off?
    The diesel engine also takes longer to heat up, so if you've a lot of short journeys you won't get the benefit you'd expect with regard to fuel consumption vs petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A 1-2 hour drive every couple of weeks should be enough to keep a DPF clear though - similar usage to the wife's Volvo and we haven't had any issues so far.

Give it a decent (45 mins ish) drive every couple of weeks. Her commute is 6km each way to and from the office - dropping and collecting the kids half way, so about as bad as it gets for a DPF equipped diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Diesel may be taxed more :

http://bit.ly/2deJpX4

An Taisce has become the latest body to call for an increase in tax on diesel in Tuesday’s budget.

The heritage group said there was growing evidence that tiny particles from diesel fumes lodge in the brain where they may contribute Alzheimer’s disease.

Six civil society organisations advocating tax reform include

Asthma Society of Ireland,
    An Taisce,
    Irish Environmental Network,
    Green Budget Europe,
    Transport & Environment and the
    Irish Cycling Advocacy Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

ravendude wrote: »
    I would like a bit of space tbh, - have a couple of kids in tow.
    I'd be buying new. Actually, if I went petrol I could possibly stretch to an Audi A4 avant - 1.4 TFSI.

My main concern would be resale value to be honest, - for a smaller car petrol would probably not depreciate too badly, - but for something like an A4 or Passat the hit could be too much.
    For example on carzone.ie I see 130+ Diesal A4 Avants and just 2 petrol, - which are both Pre-2010.

So, it is on resale I think that I am being put off on Petrol
    ac
    I would usually agree that petrol would be a harder sell, but if theres only 2 available then surely the lack of supply will mean prices are some what reasonable on the used market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The way petrol technology is coming along it's very hard to justify diesel. Someone I know is looking at the minute and we worked out it would take 6 years to break even based on 15000 km a year.

Hmm, I'm looking at the Audi A4 Avant TFSI 1.4 (150bhp) and comparing to a diesel Passat.
    It's coming in at around the same price as a good spec Passat 2.0 150BHP diesal. Audi is a nicer looking car IMO.

I'm also finding it hard to justify going diesel now to be honest. And, I'm thinking an Audi petrol will probably not depreciate much more than a diesel Passat, - any thoughts here?

Anyone know what these TFSI engines are like? do they have a good reputation?

My main concern is that I see very few petrol Audis advertised, - so again depreciation is the concern. Though I am starting to get the feeling that diesel might be making a comeback.
    Any thoughts on resale of an Audi Avant 1.4 TFSI BHP vs Passat Estate Highline 2.0 Diesel 150BHP ? Personal preference would be for the Audi to be honest.

The same 1.4 litre engine is available in the Passat too. I'd favour the Passat over the A4 because there have been some good deals on Passat specs lately which I imagine would cost way more to match in the A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If depreciation is a concern the a4 will have the edge over a passat though, going by the last few models anyways.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The same 1.4 litre engine is available in the Passat too. I'd favour the Passat over the A4 because there have been some good deals on Passat specs lately which I imagine would cost way more to match in the A4.

The 1.4 TFSI petrol engine strangely is slightly more expensive on the Passat than the 2.0 diesel. whereas it is several thousand cheaper on the Audi A4. Quite odd to say the least.

I do love the new Audi floating dash interor, - very classy and cooli

If depreciation is a concern the a4 will have the edge over a passat though, going by the last few models anyways.

Even in petrol? - brand I guess might balance things out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I meant the a4 will depreciate less than a passat. Apologies my post could have been clearer.
    In a petrol vs diesel matchup its hard to tell but like for like the a4 will be worth more than a passat in a few years time probably cost a touch more to buy in the first place though.

Over the last few models passats tend to depreciate quicker than golfs or jetta's where as the a4 has always tended to depreciate slower than a3's and a6's.

Advertisement