Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Irish Gigs (rumours & confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Every time I look in here, I hope on news for a Garth Brooks concert.

At this stage, I don't think it's happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

The Raptor wrote: »

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Raptor wrote: »

Might not happen next year too as Ed Sheeran could well do the 3x Croke Park dates in the summer of 2018

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Might not happen next year too as Ed Sheeran could well do the 3x Croke Park dates in the summer of 2018

I think he said recently that he is to spend the rest of the year in the US and spend the next two years touring the rest of the world, so 2018 and 2019. So I can see him doing a tour of Ireland then, it won't be Croke Park though, Croke Park was for the special gigs in 2014. When he does play here, it will be what he's doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That would be some waste of the Croker gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That would be some waste of the Croker gigs

They will sell out again, for sure, and brings loads of money to the region etc but I do agree that 3 of his gigs would be a waste. No catering to a wider crowd, just kinda pigeon-holing the entire year's allocation of gigs.

That 3 gig rule is such a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well it's not like they can't have more than 3 gigs. 3 is the minimum agreement they have with the local residents, they can apply for more if they want. the council granted 7 non-music event licences in 2014 IIRC (would have been 9 if Aiken got all 5 of their Garth Brooks ones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Lol

LOL indeed. There's more to life than Garth fcuking Brooks.

LOL indeed. There's more to life than Garth fcuking Brooks.

What's with the hatred of him? Didn't you travel to see him yourself. I don't understand.

some more acts for Lovebox, same weekend (probably) as Longitude:

LBX2017.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Has Annie Mac had her baby? Out of curiosity, and will she stop touring for a while I wonder? Just as I saw her name there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

As a lifelong long music fan and gig goer, I can't believe ed sheeran he would sell out 3 nights in croker and yet I wouldn't know one song from him. Officially old I guess. It's over for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

emo72 wrote: »
    As a lifelong long music fan and gig goer, I can't believe ed sheeran he would sell out 3 nights in croker and yet I wouldn't know one song from him. Officially old I guess. It's over for me.

He sold two quite easily, with the bandwagon this country has for all concerts in croke Park I think he could

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

Ed is rumoured to be at v festival. They usually share with t vital and he did say he'll play in Belfast this year. Wouldn't be my cup of tea but I hope they get someone from reading like Muse or kasabian for the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's no way Croke Park will give Ed Sheeran three nights there next year unless nobody else wants to play Croke Park, which is highly unlikely.

Theyll want slots for other artists too. And also, would he sell approximately 240,000 tickets at higher prices a year after two nights in the 3Arena, I'm not convinced.

There's no way Croke Park will give Ed Sheeran three nights there next year unless nobody else wants to play Croke Park, which is highly unlikely.

Theyll want slots for other artists too. And also, would he sell approximately 240,000 tickets at higher prices a year after two nights in the 3Arena, I'm not convinced.
    they gave One Direction 3 nights a few years back too IIRC.

if the promoters book it for him for 3 nights early enough, Croke Park will probably gladly take that booking, and all 3 nights will sell out.

and he sold out 2 nights in Croke Park in 2015 after he did 4 nights in the 3Arena in 2014, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seems the third Croke Park dis year may be free as there rumours the rolling stones have shelved plans to tour Europe this summer

Expect a second u2 show to be added

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Seems the third Croke Park dis year may be free as there rumours the rolling stones have shelved plans to tour Europe this summer

U2 have kept the Friday night free for that possibility .

Yep

There was something here a few weeks ago that the rolling stones were meant to go on sale in early March. They often give a week's notice before the onsale, so the concert announcement should be this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

J Cole announced his World Tour today and there's a Dublin date!!!
    3 Arena on 18th October

I reckon that'll sell out it just as quick as Drake did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You think croke park care who plays there? As long as they get their venue fee, they couldn't care if it's Ed Sheeran, Rammstein or the north Minnesota brass band.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You think croke park care who plays there? As long as they get their venue fee, they couldn't care if it's Ed Sheeran, Rammstein or the north Minnesota brass band.

Well they make a cut off tickets so yeah they probably care if they're getting a cut off a €100 ticket or a €50 ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

J Cole announced his World Tour today and there's a Dublin date!!!
    3 Arena on 18th October

I reckon that'll sell out it just as quick as Drake did

You think? Didn't think Cole had much of a fan base in Ireland. Maybe I'm just out of touch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

emo72 wrote: »

I'm conflicted I get what your saying but how can you expect to understand without hearing one of his songs?

I'm not a fan of most daytime radio music and if you've stumbled upon those dials his stuff is the sort of music soaked up, easily blends in with mediocrity the Coldplays Kodalines etc then there's his media darling personality that's lapped up, as when it comes to pop music the music alone sometimes doesn't always sell the tickets.

The radio is always going where I work so it's why I know more than I should but he'd a song out there recently lyrics were straightforward about first kiss,drinking and smoking when underage but it had a catchy chorus this seems to appeal to numerous adults and kids alike apparently.

Well they make a cut off tickets so yeah they probably care if they're getting a cut off a €100 ticket or a €50 ticket.
    source?

based on everything i've seen in the music industry, i'd say that's almost certainly not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

source?

based on everything i've seen in the music industry, i'd say that's almost certainly not true.

Yeah, unless croke park are selling tickets from their box office and getting a euro or so, i don't think they get anything from ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Theyll want slots for other artists too.
    I don't get your logic at all. If some hotel was only allowed have a penthouse room let out for 3 nights a year then as a hotel manager I would be delighted to get the same guest 3 nights in a row. It would cut down on admin etc. For a place like croke park I would expect the savings would be even more.

Can you explain why they would want slots for other artists? and pass up having the huge convenience of 3 in a row from the same act for presumably the same price.

This is not a festival or something, if electric picnic had the same headliner 3 nights in a row it would certainly not go down well. Then next year people would say "electric picnic early sales 2019, feck off, remember what they did in 2018, same lad 3 nights in a row". While in 2019 if U2 are playing nobody is going to go, "they can feck off, remember they had that Sheeran lad 3 gigs in a row last year"

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't get your logic at all. If some hotel was only allowed have a penthouse room let out for 3 nights a year then as a hotel manager I would be delighted to get the same guest 3 nights in a row. It would cut down on admin etc. For a place like croke park I would expect the savings would be even more.

Can you explain why they would want slots for other artists? and pass up having the huge convenience of 3 in a row from the same act for presumably the same price.

This is not a festival or something, if electric picnic had the same headliner 3 nights in a row it would certainly not go down well. Then next year people would say "electric picnic early sales 2019, feck off, remember what they did in 2018, same lad 3 nights in a row". While in 2019 if U2 are playing nobody is going to go, "they can feck off, remember they had that Sheeran lad 3 gigs in a row last year"

Well I know they test the market to see what artists are interested in playing their venue.

They get a cut of the ticket price so they'll take more from a €125 average ticket price over a €75 average ticket price.

They won't just take the first comer who wants three nights without researching whos interested because he wants three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They get a cut of the ticket price so they'll take more from a €125 average ticket price over a €75 average ticket price..
    source?

^^

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    ^^

I've been told from one of my colleagues who used to work in a related role. Never had any reason to doubt him before tbh

Advertisement