Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    What does that hideous Boots "Shes Me Mum" ad mean? I honestly dont get it, she makes the daughter take off her makeup before she goes out, daughter sings stupid song, daughter sees the mother singing in a choir and this seems to give her some insight into her mothers life so she gets her lipstick?

https://www.boots.ie/christmas-inspiration/boots-tv-christmas-advert
    Christmas is the perfect time for cosying up with your loved ones and celebrating everything about them; not just for what they do but who they really are. Whether she’s the world’s No1 mum who deserves that luxury lippie or your chilled office bestie who loves throwing shapes on the dance floor - this year, get them something that says…you get them.
    "who they really are", the mother is caught rotten out on the street wearing red lipstick that she would never let the daughter wear. Daughter gets the lipstick rubbing her face in the fact she has caught her out on her hypocrisy and apparent "victim blaming" "women should not be allowed wear what they want" attitude. I was waiting for the mother to slap her in the face! Christmas ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Suckit wrote: »
    Beastie Boys and Beach House were/are dead against it...

There are many that do it, but there are also loads that won't..
    I am sure loads are against it, just Neil Young sprung to mind as he even had a song about it. I just cannot understand how anyone could possibly think this is only something that has happened in the last 10-15 years.

http://diffuser.fm/beastie-boys-destiny-2-sabotage/
    In a rare occurrence, the Beastie Boys recently gave the approval for their track “Sabotage” to be used in an advertisement for the multiplayer first-shooter video game Destiny 2. You can check out the trailer above.
    Adam “MCA” Yauch from the transcendent hip-hop group used his will to make sure that their music wouldn’t be used in ways that would go against their interests before he passed away from cancer in 2012. “Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, in no event may my image or name or any music or any artistic property created by me be used for advertising purposes,” it states.

In the past, Mike "Mike D" Diamond and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horovitz have maintained Yauch’s wishes by taking legal action against the companies Monster Energy and GoldieBlox for use of the Beastie Boys’ music without permission. But now, as Adweek reported, both of them “watched the two-minute mix of cinematic action and winking humor and gave their blessing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Saw that David Bowie 'bleu' perfume advert. Not bad, I mean-it's the usual 'I have no idea what's going' perfume advert, but it works.

Certainly better in light of some of the awful ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

This Barbie ad annoys me, of course little girls and boys can be anything they set their minds to, feck off Mattel, ye don't give a fiddlers what your product users grow up to be, all you want is the cash in their pockets, nothing more and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Every single Christmas ad is the worst

• Advertisement

Leevene, Ross, Declan and Jo - A quartet of spanners who more than likely can't drive to save their lives but have a huge interest in air pollution and climate change. Children, hybrid, economic, quiet engine, no-brainer, yada yada yada. Get lost Toyota.

This Barbie ad annoys me, of course little girls and boys can be anything they set their minds to, feck off Mattel, ye don't give a fiddlers what your product users grow up to be, all you want is the cash in their pockets, nothing more and nothing less.

Yet they'll balk at a girl who grows up and wants to be a model, or take their clothes off, or work in a sandwich bar.
    (Not mocking any of those gigs-just noting the disparity).

Never see the 'Ken can be everything he wants to be' adverts either.

One more for now, had to unload! This crap, the dialogue, the annoying music, to me the lights and musical notes synchro is a tad off, it feels sooo long too. And then you see what and who the ad is for. Where do they get their stupid tag lines from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

lawred2 wrote: »

There *were* good Christmas ads in the eighties... :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,387 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

There *were* good Christmas ads in the eighties... :);)

Oh that takes me back. That was lovely.

Not like today's assortment of cliched faux familial bliss

• Advertisement

Oh that takes me back. That was lovely.

Not like today's assortment of cliched faux familial bliss

And wasn't that advert used for something like almost three decades after? That and this Kellogg's advert get's used every year, despite it being almost the same age as the Bud advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That VHI "genetic testing" ad. Sorry, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Leevene, Ross, Declan and Jo - A quartet of spanners who more than likely can't drive to save their lives but have a huge interest in air pollution and climate change. Children, hybrid, economic, quiet engine, no-brainer, yada yada yada. Get lost Toyota.
    If they were really putting the best interests of their kids first, they'd be walking or cycling to school with their kids, not setting them up for a lifetime of obesity, hypertension and diabetes,

This one certainly backs up your argument - McDonalds Reindeer Carrots 2018

(I might be interested in a nice venison brioche number if they want to try a different approach!)

The Daily Mail begs to differ so maybe I need to do a Grinch test.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6405815/Fans-declare-McDonalds-Christmas-advert-featuring-Santas-reindeer-best-one-far.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

This one certainly backs up your argument - McDonalds Reindeer Carrots 2018

(I might be interested in a nice venison brioche number if they want to try a different approach!)

The Daily Mail begs to differ so maybe I need to do a Grinch test.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6405815/Fans-declare-McDonalds-Christmas-advert-featuring-Santas-reindeer-best-one-far.html
    I actually don't mind that MacD's ad. That might say more about me than it does about the ad, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

blueser wrote: »
    That VHI "genetic testing" ad. Sorry, but no.

I detest the VHI ads, they're so smug. Imagine someone on a waiting list, can't afford VHI, listening to that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

This ad wrecks my head! https://lbbonline.com/news/new-giffgaff-ad-from-ed-morris-is-a-simple-manifesto-for-small-vs-big/

What does it have to do with mobile phones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

That Vodafone ad shows everything that is wrong with Irish television, an awful ad starring an overpaid, egotistical, smug RTÉ twat who thinks that the sun shines out of his arse. Who signed of on that ****e.
    My contract is up soon, I won’t be going anywhere near Vodafone.

This ad wrecks my head! https://lbbonline.com/news/new-giffgaff-ad-from-ed-morris-is-a-simple-manifesto-for-small-vs-big/

What does it have to do with mobile phones!!

No idea, was thinking about something else entirely by the time she got half way through! Maybe someone else with a better attention span will tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Came across an ad with “comedienne” Jenny Eclair advertising Vagisil cream seriously does this kinda stuff (along with sanitary protection) really need to be advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Avonmore ad for lactose free milk, promoting the "nutritional benefits of lactose free milk". Apart from those who are lactose intolerant, what other benefit would it have? It's just milk, without the lactose.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

No idea, was thinking about something else entirely by the time she got half way through! Maybe someone else with a better attention span will tell us.

yup, a disaster of an add with Dermot "Blow the Budget£ Bannon
    "i love this, DO you love this? i love this":(

JESUS CHRIST!

js35 wrote: »
    Came across an ad with “comedienne” Jenny Eclair advertising Vagisil cream seriously does this kinda stuff (along with sanitary protection) really need to be advertised?

It's sort of like when Michael Parkinson advertises life insurance-you don't want to be reminded he's gonna die, no more than you want to be reminded of someone's dry vagina.

js35 wrote: »

Is it this one? I think I saw another version.

Cant help but be reminded of this scene in Me, Myself and Irene. Jim Careys character suffers from split personality. Starts with the helpful but meek Charlie, but Hank is soon brought out.

I can't stand Me Myself and Irene... the movie was widely criticised at the time for it's depiction of what they, in the film, called 'schizophrenia' but was multiple associative identity disorders.

Widely underperformed, and rightly so-it was the moment when the Farrelly Brothers lost touch. IF you're gonna do comedy like that, you gotta keep make sure your movie has heart.
    That one didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Cant help but be reminded of this scene in Me, Myself and Irene. Jim Careys character suffers from split personality. Starts with the helpful but meek Charlie, but Hank is soon brought out.

No wasn’t that one but think that version would have been slightly better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I've just seen an ad for with some lady shouting at a man then apparently jumping off a pier and doing doughnuts that looked suspiciously like an Opel logo on the beach before turning to the audience and asking, "what would you do for love?"
    Turns out it's for Miss Dior perfume and prompted my better half who rarely uses profanity to ask, "what the f*** was that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

yup, a disaster of an add with Dermot "Blow the Budget£ Bannon
    "i love this, DO you love this? i love this":(

JESUS CHRIST!

I have to mute the TV for that ad. 'LOVE the hair'...oh **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

All the car and insurance ones. Geico has some stupid ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The David and Goliath ad for Lucozade

Advertisement