Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The one with the wide eyed Kathryn Thomas dancing around with a bunch of other gimps.

That ad is really weird. The effort she goes to is a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

ligerdub wrote: »
    That ad is really weird. The effort she goes to is a bit OTT.

Probably for the upcoming honeymoon as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

valoren wrote: »
    That gowlbag who says "Steady on the clutch there will ya".
    I actually like that line. And the glare she gives back to him. If looks could kill......

What about that Paddy Power ad where the steward starts singing to the crowd? To quote Quint in Jaws; "Jesus H Christ".
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has anyone seen the 10 second ads lately featuring a rather bleek looking person saying "I want to get cancer"?

Yesterday we all looked at each other to see if we had heard the same thing then rewinded it to be sure.

By far the most unusual advertisement I've came across, and I don't even know what the message was.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the 10 second ads lately featuring a rather bleek looking person saying "I want to get cancer"?

Yesterday we all looked at each other to see if we had heard the same thing then rewinded it to be sure..
    Yep, though I have a thick skin I thought it was amazingly insensitive and bound to cause great upset to some people. I often have tv on in the background so was not sure I heard it right.

But it was not misheard

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFWbTnialfj5ce_PolrBNQ
    Many people in Ireland want to get cancer. How do you feel about that? Share your opinion at www.getcancer.ie.

https://www.getcancer.ie/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/5lhj9b/the_i_want_to_get_cancer_ads_on_this_evening/

no doubt some patronising cringeworthy "shock tactic" crap saying "well if you smoke you obviously want to get cancer". Sure why else would you continue smoking what is medically recognised as the most addictive substance known to medical science, including heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine (not saying the hardest addiction to kick but regarded as the most addicitve)

Whoever is responsible I would like to see what dictionary they have to see the meaning given for the word "want"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, though I have a thick skin I thought it was amazingly insensitive and bound to cause great upset to some people. I often have tv on in the background so was not sure I heard it right.

But it was not misheard

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFWbTnialfj5ce_PolrBNQ

https://www.getcancer.ie/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/5lhj9b/the_i_want_to_get_cancer_ads_on_this_evening/

no doubt some patronising cringeworthy "shock tactic" crap saying "well if you smoke you obviously want to get cancer". Sure why else would you continue smoking what is medically recognised as the most addictive substance known to medical science, including heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine (not saying the hardest addiction to kick but regarded as the most addicitve)

Whoever is responsible I would like to see what dictionary they have to see the meaning given for the word "want"

From the domain WHOIS its a person not company who registered it.

domain: getcancer.ie
    descr: Alan Johnson
    descr: Discretionary Applicant
    descr: Discretionary Name

I'm guessing the mean 'get cancer' as in 'beat cancer' or 'harm cancer'.

Haven't seen the ad on tv but sure its going for viral so we'll see what it is soon.

I thought the same, but they certainly do not have that tone of voice in the ads. I saw another different one just a few mins ago and it again did not have that tone, more a "defeated" older man in his car saying it. Another one just this second, a woman drinking a cup of tea, no doubt viral etc but still potentially very upsetting. I cannot see any possible outcome where I will think "oh, well that explains it, that's all grand so" -damage is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And if you check out the website "Get cancer.ie" they are quite clear about wanting to GET cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

And if you check out the website "Get cancer.ie" they are quite clear about wanting to GET cancer.

The sites description is "In 2017 Ireland will come together to Get Cancer. Help get the conversation started" Which would lead me to believe its Ireland versus Cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That ad for water wipes, the woman's voice is wrecking my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From the domain WHOIS its a person not company who registered it.

domain: getcancer.ie
    descr: Alan Johnson
    descr: Discretionary Applicant
    descr: Discretionary Name

Haven't seen the ad on tv but sure its going for viral so we'll see what it is soon.

Hey, that name looks familiar.

:pac:

not sure what you mean, do you mean get as in contract cancer or fight against cancer.

At first glance it seems tthey are bizarrely asking "do you want to contract the disease cancer", which of course is a ludicrous question. I still think it would cause huge upset to some people, who have cancer or not. They obviously think they are very smart, but are actually incredibly inconsiderate scumbags.
    The sites description is "In 2017 Ireland will come together to Get Cancer. Help get the conversation started"
    I am using chromium and do not see that. If I enter an email I get
    We’ll be in touch soon about how together we can get cancer in 2017. Now tell the world.

which confirms they want to "fight" cancer, without any regard for people's feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Thankfully it's gone for another year, but the Lotto Millionaire with the Man baby and the 'nurses' looking at him is so weird and pointless not to mention dated at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Radio5 wrote: »
    Thankfully it's gone for another year, but the Lotto Millionaire with the Man baby and the 'nurses' looking at him is so weird and pointless not to mention dated at this stage.

Has there ever been a good Lotto ad? All very irritating from the one mentioned to the auld wan and her dog and the new very tiresome island ones.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Radio5 wrote: »

Horrible creepy ad with that annoying C & W song. How long has the fecking thing been running for now? Must be well over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

ollaetta wrote: »
    Has there ever been a good Lotto ad? All very irritating from the one mentioned to the auld wan and her dog and the new very tiresome island ones.

I liked the one where they all head off on holidays on the strength of the Lotto win. One fellow asks the 'who's driving the train'? Cue the platform full of people back home waiting............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

not sure what you mean, do you mean get as in contract cancer or fight against cancer.

At first glance it seems tthey are bizarrely asking "do you want to contract the disease cancer", which of course is a ludicrous question. I still think it would cause huge upset to some people, who have cancer or not. They obviously think they are very smart, but are actually incredibly inconsiderate scumbags.

I am using chromium and do not see that. If I enter an email I get

which confirms they want to "fight" cancer, without any regard for people's feelings

What exactly are they trying to do here? Because between the adverts and news paper adverts it's rather cruelly being advertised and a lot of folks could take it up the wrong way & upset a lot of folks who have the disease and upset family members who have lost loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

statto25 wrote: »
    That Vodafone TV with the old lady getting hot and bothered watching a love scene on TV creeps me down to my very core. Something about her expression and the heavy breathing makes me shudder.
    It is creepy and shit. Put a Grandad in the same situation with his Grandson or Grandaughter. :(
    The Vodafone team probably patting themselves on the back for this one. It is probably the worst advert that i have ever seen, so much so that i found out this thread existed.
    We got it, she thought the scene was hot and steamy, why does she keep patting her chest and sighing, is she trying to get the kid out of the room to tackle herself? Ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    What exactly are they trying to do here? Because between the adverts and news paper adverts it's rather cruelly being advertised and a lot of folks could take it up the wrong way & upset a lot of folks who have the disease and upset family members who have lost loved ones

They showed the rest of the ad tonight and I think they should have showed the full ad from the beginning and not just what they did show.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Suckit wrote: »
    It is creepy and shit. Put a Grandad in the same situation with his Grandson or Grandaughter. :(
    The Vodafone team probably patting themselves on the back for this one. It is probably the worst advert that i have ever seen, so much so that i found out this thread existed.
    We got it, she thought the scene was hot and steamy, why does she keep patting her chest and sighing, is she trying to get the kid out of the room to tackle herself? Ugh...

Those Vodafone ads are soooo bad. Yer man in the bath, Sue hog-tied on the windowsill etc etc, terrible stuff alltogther. Baffling how they can come up such ****e on a consistent basis.

• Advertisement

ollaetta wrote: »

Ehh, the Elvis one and the rainbows on the Liffey is pretty good, nice summer imagery and good song

"IIIII don't worry, whenever skies are grey above, gotta pocketful of rainbows, got a heart full of love"

ligerdub wrote: »
    How long has that ad been on now? It refuses to die. Even the seemingly immortal Muller Rice bear went before she did.

Ahhh did you not like the Muller Rice Bear, he made a fairly strong argument for rice pudding and he had some dazzling foot work, and a Trumpish hairstyle!

How about in German, any better?!

Worst ads of the year, has to be Bank Of Ireland, not that couple whose names are not to be mentioned, yes they were very annoying but a little amusing too. I am referring to the new ones, the replacement ads. Terrible stuff, and that music, goes right through my head. So cheap, condescending, and trite.

Tom, what a bore

Paul and Jane, pair of ****

Julie and Kian, pair o' twats

And their Christmas ad, puke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Not an advert as such but the current promo for Operation Transformation is just horrendous.

The host (Kathryn Thomas I think?) Is dancing in the most awkward and uncomfortable way I've ever seen.

Its enough to make me wince when it comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Not an advert as such but the current promo for Operation Transformation is just horrendous.

The host (Kathryn Thomas I think?) Is dancing in the most awkward and uncomfortable way I've ever seen.

Its enough to make me wince when it comes on.

Did you notice that she's putting on a bit of weight? Her hips are very wide compared to her waist, more than likely the spandex. Also the contestants are getting bigger and the sob stories more dramatic :mad: It would be interesting to see a rerun of the very first operation transformation as there were no sob stories what so ever only people trying to lose weight. Thomas will be on the scales in another year at the rate she's going, she's also totally wrecked looking and showing her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did you notice that she's putting on a bit of weight? Her hips are very wide compared to her waist, more than likely the spandex. Also the contestants are getting bigger and the sob stories more dramatic :mad: It would be interesting to see a rerun of the very first operation transformation as there were no sob stories what so ever only people trying to lose weight. Thomas will be on the scales in another year at the rate she's going, she's also totally wrecked looking and showing her age.

Dude, not cool to go fat shaming anybody, regardless of what you think of them.

Yep, though I have a thick skin I thought it was amazingly insensitive and bound to cause great upset to some people.

People are complaining on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/IrishCancerSociety/
    Couldn't believe what I was hearing when I first heard them say on the advert "I want cancer". I don't normally take offence to things easily but this advert hit me hard. Having just got over cancer myself, losing my Gran to cancer and my Aunt fighting cancer, and all those children and adults that have been, and still are affected by it, shame on you, it is very insensitive. I totally understand that it is to make it hit you so you remember the advert, and believe me, it has. Not in a positive way though, my heart goes out to people that see this, who has been affected by cancer, trying to enjoy a TV programme and then bang, this comes on, and ruins it all, bringing into our minds what we went through, are going through. Find a different way, this is just so disrespectful. Of course we all want a cure for cancer, but the people it has hit more, are unfortunately the people that are already aware.
    This is a hideous campaign. We all want to raise awareness but this is not the way to do it. It is insensitive to everybody who has been diagnosed or who loves/loved somebody who was diagnosed with this horrific disease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

That Vodafone ad, surprised she doesn't pull down her knickers in front of the young one, dirty bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

flazio wrote: »
    Dude, not cool to go fat shaming anybody, regardless of what you think of them.

Go home yank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Any of the bank ads. Smug, shameless, regardless of the havoc they caused.

Advertisement