Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That Bank of Ireland ad with yer wan standing there in her coat and scarf staring at a house in the dark - something to do with mortgages.

What's really annoying about it is the butchering of language once again: "thousands of begins". What's wrong with using that perfectly functional and recognised word, "beginnings"?

Another one to join "Smart flies Aer Lingus" and "We're backing brave".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

fricatus wrote: »
    That Bank of Ireland ad with yer wan standing there in her coat and scarf staring at a house in the dark - something to do with mortgages.

What's really annoying about it is the butchering of language once again: "thousands of begins". What's wrong with using that perfectly functional and recognised word, "beginnings"?

Another one to join "Smart flies Aer Lingus" and "We're backing brave".

Is that the ad where the woman takes a sledge hammer to the fitted kitchen and manages to knock off one door? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Those Trivento wine ads on the Discovery channels really do my nut in, what a bunch of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Radio5 wrote: »
    Is that the ad where the woman takes a sledge hammer to the fitted kitchen and manages to knock off one door? :rolleyes:

The very one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Boots. Hated their here come yhe girls rubbish but this is worse.

2 tubby ladies going on holidays.to the tune of im comimg out. CRAP SONG ITSELF.

The non obese ppl on the beach are seen as miserable and when the two large ladies pull off their sarong the fat on their bellies actuallly wobbles.

Reminds me i need go go on a diet for summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Government nanny state adverts for no-excuses. A blend of cringe and po-face earnestness that if taken seriously will clog up the 999 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Manach wrote: »
    The Government nanny state adverts for no-excuses. A blend of cringe and po-face earnestness that if taken seriously will clog up the 999 system.

Plus there's no element of personal responsibility either. I mean, yes, the dudes with the 'joke' are douche-bags.
    The guy putting pressure on his girlfriend-same, he's a douche-bag, dump his sorry butt. The fella picking up the drunk the girl. Well, to me, that doesn't read well... for all we know he's gonna grab her phone, find a friends number, and call her to pick her up...
    Yeah, I know, the advert implies something else-or is meant to, but it doesn't read as such.

I remember the UK ones which was fairly effective, barring some actors who were kinda bland. (Remember the onlookers watching themselves commit sexual assault, but not realizing it, with their 'no, she doesn't want to!' ads?) They never did the girl version tho-where the guy doesn't want to but the girl forces him.

And that's what's my major issue with it-it ignores the female angle, as well as the LGBT angle. We know there is a very high percentage of domestic violence (including sexual assault) within the LGBT community, particularly in gay and lesbian relationships. It's something like 3 times the amount of violence in domestic heterosexual relationships-but good luck seeing that in the media.

And we know that sexual assault by women is just as common as men...but again, good look seeing that in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I certainly didn’t know that and I would love to see the verified credited sources for those statistics you gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Plus there's no element of personal responsibility either. I mean, yes, the dudes with the 'joke' are douche-bags.
    The guy putting pressure on his girlfriend-same, he's a douche-bag, dump his sorry butt. The fella picking up the drunk the girl. Well, to me, that doesn't read well... for all we know he's gonna grab her phone, find a friends number, and call her to pick her up...
    Yeah, I know, the advert implies something else-or is meant to, but it doesn't read as such.

I remember the UK ones which was fairly effective, barring some actors who were kinda bland. (Remember the onlookers watching themselves commit sexual assault, but not realizing it, with their 'no, she doesn't want to!' ads?) They never did the girl version tho-where the guy doesn't want to but the girl forces him.

And that's what's my major issue with it-it ignores the female angle, as well as the LGBT angle. We know there is a very high percentage of domestic violence (including sexual assault) within the LGBT community, particularly in gay and lesbian relationships. It's something like 3 times the amount of violence in domestic heterosexual relationships-but good luck seeing that in the media.

And we know that sexual assault by women is just as common as men...but again, good look seeing that in the media.

Isn't one of the scenarios a creepy female boss inappropriately touching a colleague?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

optogirl wrote: »
    Isn't one of the scenarios a creepy female boss inappropriately touching a colleague?

Yeah I saw that the other night, it was just as ridiculous, personal space people personal space back off back off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    I certainly didn’t know that and I would love to see the verified credited sources for those statistics you gave.

Sure thing.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Intimate-Partner-Violence-and-Sexual-Abuse-among-LGBT-People.pdf

As for the equal amount of men, this article's from 8 years ago, so the statistics have probably increased. It generally is less than 2 percent of a difference between men and women.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

And the stats on women rapists are quite disturbing, and underreported. Also, note how the media treats women abusers of young boys compared to male abusers.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sexual-victimization-by-women-is-more-common-than-previously-known/?redirect=1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I swear to God if those two Muppets on that ribena ad don't get off my telly very very soon I will not be responsible for my actions!!!!, it's absolutely dreadful..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Deirdre O'Kane doing a cringey voice over for some domestic appliance crowd. Painful to my ears.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Deirdre O'Kane doing a cringey voice over for some domestic appliance crowd. Painful to my ears.

Jesus yes...

And the 'we'll take the aul' one away for free. Not me, the appliance'....

Go away you horrible individual who hasn't been noteworthy for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

I logged in to mention this very add. She is horrendous and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭donegal_man

There's an animated ad for TSB during every break on Dave, Watch etc. plugging how they pay interest on current accounts. There's something about the music which just creeps me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As I said above, i really hate that Boots ad and have since discovered there is a worse full length version of it.....but this makes it so much better....

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/05/22/theresa-may-added-boots-advert-greatest-thing-youll-see-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

sparksfly wrote: »
    I logged in to mention this very add. She is horrendous and always has been.

You can tell by the tone of her voice that she thinks she is funny, smart and better than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yea she always comes out with the "ah shur im only an aul culchie from louth , always up for the craic and so sound" another one of the faux down to earth culchie type persona, ala ray darcy and mairead farrell/ronan does it too even though shes not a culchie dub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

I hate the new Trivago add.

The new hairstyle on the Trivago girl has doesn't suit her at all.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    yea she always comes out with the "ah shur im only an aul culchie from louth , always up for the craic and so sound" another one of the faux down to earth culchie type persona, ala ray darcy and mairead farrell/ronan does it too even though shes not a culchie dub

Mairead's as far from the 'culchie' thing as can be-Mairead's got the 'skanger from Dubbelin' persona down to a tee. Even if she's on her second marriage to a multi-millionaire who everyone else had to pay to get out of jail.
    She never set foot in 'tha' kun-treh'. Ray D'Arcy has the 'I'm better than all of you, and I'm rich but haven't been outside Dublin in so very longgg' attitude. If you want to talk 'culchie down to earth persona' then there's Katrin Thompson, with her 'my daughters great, look at her, I can now walk on water since I had a my daughter... I'm even formulating the cure for cancer, so great is my daughter'...

Deirdre O'Kane.... now there's a woman who only ever came up with one good joke. and then after that turned into 'My child says the funniest things-she's gas!'
    No Deirdre, she's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bring back the creepy boyfriend and dad.
    The "hot" zombie kiss ad for Extra gum is just.... Urgh. (and no, you're not kinda hot)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That BT mobile ad with James Nesbit doing the voiceover. I suppose it's not that terrible but it's been on heavy rotation on the satellite channels for so long..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Jesus that ad with some guitar freak getting his clothes washed then everyone is around him like flies on a ****e... Mother of God who thinks up this drivel...

Azera Coffee Ad, features Azera Nitro, cold coffee in a can with a nitrogen widget in the can like Draught Guinness cans *puke*

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I swear to God if those two Muppets on that ribena ad don't get off my telly very very soon I will not be responsible for my actions!!!!, it's absolutely dreadful..

They are very annoying! There is another ad in the offing, remote at the ready people. And that giant glass of juice looks rotten.

Dreadful, she sounds a drunk. Appliance company owned by Denis O'Brien's group.

Noooooooooooooo!, another one, please make him stop, I'd even take a series of Vodafone/Deirdre O'Kane ads at this stage, just stop with the Bannon onslaught :mad:

The "hot" zombie kiss ad for Extra gum is just.... Urgh. (and no, you're not kinda hot)

STEADY...

And I think she's cute. Don't hate me, she's Asian-the girl's probably 50, so not creepy. :D

STEADY...

And I think she's cute. Don't hate me, she's Asian-the girl's probably 50, so not creepy. :D

Not sure about the bodily parts falling off though, that could be . . .irritating!

Not sure about the bodily parts falling off though, that could be . . .irritating!

I imagine it would be like walking the dog and taking the poop bag with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That KCB ad that has all those very stoned 90s throwbacks pointing at the camera and gurning like they're off their t1ts. I mean, I doubt those two even have a bank account. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

But what about the necrophiliacs?

Advertisement