Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

She had the strongest D4 accent I've ever heard in real life and she wasn't even from Leinster.

It now seems to be becoming the default accent for bellends the length and breadth of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

The Halloween Aldi ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

My fifth year teacher, who was from Bunratty in Co. Clare said "smorsher". She had the strongest D4 accent I've ever heard in real life and she wasn't even from Leinster.

The guy who does the 'smorsher' thing is that guy who played Moriarty, Andrew Scott.

He's putting on this ''plonker' accent... he doesnt' have much range, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

"someone's after eating it" and " fridge, we need more cheese" makes me smile but I doubt this will last long after seeing it for the 50th time, especially as that spanner Bannon is still there. This ad would be greatly improved if the cheese eating lady gave Bannon a swift back hander with the plate for touching her food.

(why is she holding the plate like that, she's sitting at the counter)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

"someone's after eating it" and " fridge, we need more cheese" makes me smile but I doubt this will last long after seeing it for the 50th time, especially as that spanner Bannon is still there. This ad would be greatly improved if the cheese eating lady gave Bannon a swift back hander with the plate for touching her food.

(why is she holding the plate like that, she's sitting at the counter)

Ah god she does my head in! I don't like Bannon but share your cheese with him you greedy woman! The face she pulls gives me ire. Don't think the child needs to ask who's been scoffing it all.....

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    Nescafe Azera ad - woman in a launderette drying her sandals in a dryer - sound of the sandals make a bit of a repetitive beat, she takes a drink of the cat p1ss and picks up a guitar that was luckily close at hand and strums a few chords to go with the beat, within 5 minutes every w.anker within a two km radius is gyrating around in the launderette like a just castrated monkey

Drives me mad that ad so fake. Damn now I've got that gowly tune in my head... go get jobs and buy a bloody washing machine instead of dancing around a bloomin laundrette!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rn

The new McDonald's add... Diverts into this strange world to buy free range eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

rn wrote: »
    The new McDonald's add... Diverts into this strange world to buy free range eggs.

The McDonalds ad for the Canadian stack, 2 people squashed up against the glass at an ice rink, no idea why they are doing that, but it sounds like the guy says "Bring a little bit of Cannabis to your day . . ." at the end

http://https://www.adsoftheworld.com/media/film/mcdonalds_great_taste_of_the_world

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

That ad for Guinness with those hideous gap toothed Chinese hags wallowing in mud. It would put me off Guinness, Chinese women, and rugby for the rest of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That ad for Guinness with those hideous gap toothed Chinese hags wallowing in mud. It would put me off Guinness, Chinese women, and rugby for the rest of my life

Yeah but it Japanese women :D We discussed this before and I'm the first to admit that I also thought it was Chinese women.

Just shows how the ad men don't always get up to make the connections they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭CoBo55

my3cents wrote: »
    Yeah but it Japanese women :D We discussed this before and I'm the first to admit that I also thought it was Chinese women.

Just shows how the ad men don't always get up to make the connections they want to.

The whole point of this thread really..

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

rn wrote: »

They don't exactly have to sell yer man on the organic eggs. He's standing there about to take a bite out of the McMuffin until he gets McTeleported to some weird joke about M&S or something. They could have left him alone to eat his food, he'd already bought it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The diet coke ads. The grannies looking at their dating apps are probably meant to be cool but it just comes across as patronising. And the dad saying his daughter's shoes are "on poooooint" (or something, it's hard to tell). I like drinking Diet Coke but I've stopped in the past week because of these ads and the stupid writing on the cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The gomo ads with their irritating jingle. Melts my head.

They're beyond ridiculous now-can barely watch five minutes of a program, then it cuts to advert-and it's gomo...

That last advert that irritating was Appliances Direct... and that company went bankrupt.
    You'd think someone would work on making 'good' adverts... cos you're trying to grab customers, not drive em off.

The emirates advert at the moment is also irritating the hell out of me...

Feels like it's trying to be woke, but has a very 'eugenics' quality to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The diet coke ads. The grannies looking at their dating apps are probably meant to be cool but it just comes across as patronising. And the dad saying his daughter's shoes are "on poooooint" (or something, it's hard to tell). I like drinking Diet Coke but I've stopped in the past week because of these ads and the stupid writing on the cans.
    Could any marketing experts explain the value in ads like this? There's nothing new about the product. Does anyone really start buying the product or buying more because of ads like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

No matter what channel I have on, that Herbal Essences ad is on, it is everywhere. I bought shampoo today, and even looking at that product on the supermarket shelf enraged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Karl Pilkington made a great point about the effectiveness of advertising:

"You never see ads for eggs, but we all buy eggs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In that case neither you or Karl Pilkington watch any adverts?

"Happiness is egg shaped"

Have you ever "Been to work on an egg"?

Old but gold :D

Or much more recently

Oh yes totally agree ridiculous. They are on so often during one ad break i thought my husband had sat on the remote and was rewinding until I realised it was intentional! They are so irritating and I'm so angry with the jingle I literally have no idea what deal they're even offering cos I spend the ad time fumbling to mute the telly.... rant over haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The GoMo ads are on another level of annoying and cringe, they're not even being ironic, they actually think they're being down with the kids here, its so horrible and thats before you add in the 3 times per ad break gimmick. The facial expressions, the music, the disgusting nineties clothes...

Worst thing about it is the Gomo deal is the best thing to happen to phone contracts in a decade so they're going to be a massive success and the muppets who came up with this mess will be popping the champagne and patting each other on the backs.

Thargor wrote: »
    The GoMo ads are on another level of annoying and cringe, they're not even being ironic, they actually think they're being down with the kids here, its so horrible and thats before you add in the 3 times per ad break gimmick. The facial expressions, the music, the disgusting nineties clothes...

Worst thing about it is the Gomo deal is the best thing to happen to phone contracts in a decade so they're going to be a massive success and the muppets who came up with this mess will be popping the champagne and patting each other on the backs.

Exactly. It was the price tag and not the idiots dancing that sold people on the network. I suppose in terms of getting peoples attention the ad certainly done its job

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭castle_lover

That bleedin ad that sponsors Coronation Street. I don’t even watch it, but hear it from the other room.

“Lucky, Lucky, Lucky me, I’m a lucky son of a gun” I want to shoot it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That bleedin ad that sponsors Coronation Street. I don’t even watch it, but hear it from the other room.

“Lucky, Lucky, Lucky me, I’m a lucky son of a gun” I want to shoot it!!!

Even worse are the milk ones for RTE weather. Thankfully they've dropped that horrible song with the whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It is the season etc..
    But I have just seen the most blood curdling, spine tingling, vomit inducing advert of all time.
    It beats every single advert posted in this and all previous threads, hands down.
    *shudder*..
    Snagtights dot com

Run for your lives, it's coming to a tv near you..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

"go to work on an egg" was the invention of writer and playwright Fay Weldon, for you trivia fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thargor wrote: »

Yeah the GoMo ad and jingle are really annoying and its made even more annoying by the frequency of them. Watched an ad break the other night and it got 5 showings in the space of a single ad break.

I remember reading before that in advertising they say a consumer must see a new brand name 17 times before it sticks in their head permanently. This is clearly what GoMo are up to, literally brainwashing us with the frequency of their ads. I feel like I've seen it 50+ times already, it is completely over the top.

A better example-strange as it is, is Ireland's Own.

Never advertised on tv, (I think it's had two adverts in the last two years-two in total, of a magazine that's I dunno how many decades old).

Readership continues to grow. It's a strange anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coconnell44

That one I think it's for NOW TV or something with the man holding up the aerial who I presume is supposed to be the TV- it's just disturbing to say the least.

• Advertisement

That one I think it's for NOW TV or something with the man holding up the aerial who I presume is supposed to be the TV- it's just disturbing to say the least.

Yeah, the one with Robert Webb...

Damn, what happened to him? He's a genuine comic talent, shouldn't be in that kinda crappy advert.

Advertisement