Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

All these sentimental christmas ads, with the theme of people coming home/not coming for Christmas have reached saturation point. Two current ones that spring to mind are the 3 ad (I think) where your one is skyping her family back home because she has a little baby and can't make it, and the fella "skinny-dipping" while on the phone to who I assume is his grand-daughter.

The Irish have been emigrating for generations- why is it such a big deal now? And besides, never have we been more connected than now with technology. I nearly hear more local news off my brother abroad than from anyone else! What about those who emigrated maybe fifty years ago and never touched back to home ever again?

Totes emosh Over-sentimental bull****e.

I agree with you in principle, but I actually don't mind the one with the aul lad jumping into the water, mainly for the terrified face he pulls just before he hits the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

trashcan wrote: »
    I agree with you in principle, but I actually don't mind the one with the aul lad jumping into the water, mainly for the terrified face he pulls just before he hits the water.

I’d agree here. I don’t mind it because at least it’s well made and well acted I think. I find it amazing that the same people are behind this and the dermot Bannon ads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That Doireann Project ad doesn't encourage me to tune in at all, it looks sh1t.

It's a transplant from the RTE player, to RTE 2. RTE 2 is now seen as worth less than the RTE player.
    Or worthless-you can decide.

And it is awful-I tried ten minutes of the show, and gave up after that. I've had funnier nosebleeds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Shakyfan wrote: »
    If he puts his phone in that pouch the camera won't be pointing in a way that you could see him - it would be either pointing away from him or at his stomach.

I've noticed he puts it in facing away from his body, also the phone seems to be magically floating above the pouch after he enters the water.

The Lidl nonsense with those crap paper elves featuring Harry Kane's older brother can't end soon enough.

I've noticed he puts it in facing away from his body, also the phone seems to be magically floating above the pouch after he enters the water.

The Lidl nonsense with those crap paper elves featuring Harry Kane's older brother can't end soon enough.

Most modern phones have two cameras-so that 'could' excuse it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This ad does my head in

https://youtu.be/aHHlZ7cZfVg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is that 40 foot/sandycove one with the christmas day bathers genuine?? or is it all actors?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is that Vodafone ad with the old lad diving into the water supposed to make us all weep and video call people abroad. Another ****e Vodafone ad

Agreed. But does anyone know what the aul lad in that ad is known for? I thought it was the actor who played Fargo Boyle at first but he is deceased, was he a priest or an extra in Father Ted at one point? Seem to remember him being in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

It's a transplant from the RTE player, to RTE 2. RTE 2 is now seen as worth less than the RTE player.
    Or worthless-you can decide.

And it is awful-I tried ten minutes of the show, and gave up after that. I've had funnier nosebleeds.

I've just now lost the same 10 minutes. My god it's awful. She can take off some people well but the dialogue and sketch storylines are amateurish. To be honest I'm almost glued to it as I can't believe how bad it is

I've just now lost the same 10 minutes. My god it's awful. She can take off some people well but the dialogue and sketch storylines are amateurish. To be honest I'm almost glued to it as I can't believe how bad it is

And this is its second season....it's not gotten better.:mad:

• Advertisement

My face almost dissolves with the cringe. If any sh1t show proves RTE should be privatised its this.

My face almost dissolves with the cringe. If any sh1t show proves RTE should be privatised its this.

It was fine when it stayed on the RTE player-I could avoid it on the RTE player... because NOBODY watches the RTE player. It's more broken than a list of New Years resolutions.

Once they thought it was 'good enough for TV' THEN I was angry.

They also did these 'one off'comedy showcases- none of which were picked up, or ever will be picked up. (Most of the cast are already involved in productions-be it Derry Girls, or dramas with the bbc). Those were shown on RTE, but dumped on a Sunday night.
    They were literally 'fulfill a government brief' to prove they are making homegrown content.

They pull this crud all the time-they know most government folks don't watch TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nothing would encourage me to tune in to anything with her in it, short of being threatened at gunpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,284 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RTE had some award winning standard documentaries lately, then they go and release this dog vomit standard "comedy".

Why oh why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just start a new thread if you are all so wound up about Doireann.
    I want to start giving out about ads again.

There's a creepy advert with Robbie Williams and Kevin the Carrot....

Has a #metoo vibe to it-with Robbie saying something like 'I just want a nibble, Kev'.

Then you hear bite sounds-and 'that'll hurt tomorrow'...

Reallllly all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's a creepy advert with Robbie Williams and Kevin the Carrot....

Has a #metoo vibe to it-with Robbie saying something like 'I just want a nibble, Kev'.

Then you hear bite sounds-and 'that'll hurt tomorrow'...

Reallllly all wrong.

Watched that for the first time earlier, such a bizzare strange ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

The tesco ad where he is time travelling.
    It's when he arrives home and they're all waiting for him for dinner, and he's sitting in his uniform at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

The McDonald's Christmas ad is bloody annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Acosta wrote: »
    The McDonald's Christmas ad is bloody annoying

I saw this thread on the front page and clicked in to see if it had been mentioned. What a coincidence that it's the latest post :)

The Christmas Chanel No 5 ad is also dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

The Lidl ad is the most annoying ad at the moment with the least convincing family ever.

SNNUS wrote: »
    The Lidl ad is the most annoying ad at the moment with the least convincing family ever.

Its as multi-dimensional and deep as the elves in it.

Its as multi-dimensional and deep as the elves in it.

It looks like the first draft of something, before you have to 'kill your darling' aka cut out the stuff that isn't working.

And whoever made this didn't do any cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not sure if Meteor's Beardy McBeard face should return, with 3's and Vodafone's I miss you ads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Watched that for the first time earlier, such a bizzare strange ad.

All of those Kevin the Carrott ads are bizarre and strange if you ask me. I hate. The way Aldi are trying to make it a "thing ". They've even got Kevin the Carrott stuffed toys in their shops for Chrissakes.

trashcan wrote: »
    All of those Kevin the Carrott ads are bizarre and strange if you ask me. I hate. The way Aldi are trying to make it a "thing ". They've even got Kevin the Carrott stuffed toys in their shops for Chrissakes.

I don't have an issue with him. But I do think the toys were overkill-especially how 'exclusive' they were.
    They don't even sell em in toy shops.

New Bold advert, to the tune of Spandau Ballet's 'Gold'...

Does the overly enthusiastic 'upbeat' advert...

...And then ends with 'always keep away from children...' warning spoken very quickly at the end. Gets very serious and dark with the warning...

Bic have a new advert saying most lighters don't pass EU safety tests. I've seen the add about 6-7 times tonight alone.

I don't have a problem with the ad per se, but, I'm just wondering how many extra lighters they will have to sell over christmas to break even on the adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

deise08 wrote: »
    The tesco ad where he is time travelling.
    It's when he arrives home and they're all waiting for him for dinner, and he's sitting in his uniform at the table.

My biggest issue with that ad is that he gave away all the deliveries in his truck to various people back in time, what about the people who actually ordered the food...FOR CHRISTMAS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

Yeah I know it’s been mentioned many times before but...
    “Don’t forget to switch off the lights”.

I’ll switch you off, ya smug pr**k!

Advertisement