Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

The ad that i cant stand is the 3 ad. The woman at the start says she cant go home to her family this year "because of this little guy here". Then it shows her gorgeous new born baby boy. I think its a horrible thing to say as if she blames the baby and she doesnt seem to realise the new baby is also her family. Then that horrible whiney christmas at home song is playing in the background. It sends me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

I'm tired of seeing UK advertisements that overrepresent "minorities".

In principle it's great but it feels like a very rare thing to see a functional family with two white parents on British TV these days.

Before anyone foams at the mouth, all I mean is maybe they could tone it down a little bit.

I completely agree it's getting ridiculous. The smyths ads for Black Friday I was cracking up.... white mam, black child, Asian father. Fair enough plenty families mixed races etc. but come on every single advertising family lately seems to be mixed. What happened to all white familes or all black families. It's a fecking joke everyone is afraid of the non racism racism! You rarely see Biddie & Miley type families anymore on ads it's Biddie & Wang Wei....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The ad that i cant stand is the 3 ad. The woman at the start says she cant go home to her family this year "because of this little guy here". Then it shows her gorgeous new born baby boy. I think its a horrible thing to say as if she blames the baby and she doesnt seem to realise the new baby is also her family. Then that horrible whiney christmas at home song is playing in the background. It sends me mental.

That's a good point.
    Genuinely.

Ad for Pandora. The dad gets on a plane to see his daughter who is an air hostess. Every time his phone buzzes i instantly think the sound on my tv is malfunctioning. It doesn't sound like a phone vibrating, more like a jack removed from an amplifier.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The ad for the lotto millionaire raffle - can my ridiculously tall cousin/ neighbour/ something win it. Oh **** off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

fryup wrote: »
    is that 40 foot/sandycove one with the christmas day bathers genuine?? or is it all actors?

The Vodafone one is a bit irritating. The old boy diving in to the sea with his mobile phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

My wife said the exact same thing, would hate to be the kid looking back on the ad and seeing your mother say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

There are so many that seemed designed to make one feel guilty, indirectly . One is not a responsible parent if you don't take out private health insurance for your family. Etc. Am sure many other ads based on engendering fear and guilt.
    Perhaps I am unfair to the advertising business?

adrian92 wrote: »
    There are so many that seemed designed to make one feel guilty, indirectly . One is not a responsible parent if you don't take out private health insurance for your family. Etc. Am sure many other ads based on engendering fear and guilt.
    Perhaps I am unfair to the advertising business?

You can never be unfair to the advertising industry.

Their entire job is to make you feel disappointed with your lot in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My wife said the exact same thing, would hate to be the kid looking back on the ad and seeing your mother say that.

Yeah he’ll be 19 and throwing it at her in a row “well sorry Ma for stopping you the Christmas I was born from going home to go on your 12 pubs crawl to get pissed in your penneys Christmas jumper with Aoife and Caitlin and vomit all over your shoes outside Supermacs in Nenagh ! Sorry for being born, like!!”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Good call Immortal, one of the ads on my list at the mo, also:

Trivago - Old yank lady pays more for 4 star room with pool with her gold card than Trivago girl , Trivago girl who has stopped being sexy at this stage and just become very annoying sticks her nose in and gives yank lady a lecture, Fook Off please, you need a new theme

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Vodafone ad in itself doesnt annoy me that much, mainly because the daughter in it is a bit of a hottie. But their strategy of completely overexposing it on every single ad break across multiple channels ad nauseum gets my goat.

Was the same with their rugby ads, they were just blasted at us for a solid three months with the only relief to be had by watching the BBC. Glad Im not a Vodafone customer anymore, those who are are basically paying a premium over other networks so Vodafone can blast expensive tv advertising at non-customers. No thanks Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Was at a presentation about upcoming technology in TV advertising and some of it is baffling.

Already Sky can show you different adverts to someone else watching same program at same time down the road.

Virgin will have this capability when they launch their new boxes next year.

But now they are trialing "in programme targeted advertising"

Example given was a billboard in a scene on eastenders - the billboard will have the advert targeted to you and like the sky system, someone else will see a different advert on that billboard.

Takes product placement to a new level.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Was at a presentation about upcoming technology in TV advertising and some of it is baffling.

Already Sky can show you different adverts to someone else watching same program at same time down the road.

Virgin will have this capability when they launch their new boxes next year.

But now they are trialing "in programme targeted advertising"

Example given was a billboard in a scene on eastenders - the billboard will have the advert targeted to you and like the sky system, someone else will see a different advert on that billboard.

Takes product placement to a new level.

It's also why you're seeing more smoking in TV shows-they can't advertise smoking, but if you have a character who smokes, it's not 'advertising'.. even tho it definitely is.

Or you have this egregious insult to everyone's intelligence-a blatant advert written into a 'detective procedural'.

It's not new, mind - a Cheerios box in Superman (1976) is probably one of the best examples of product placement.
    As is 'Reece's pieces' being cleverly used as a plot element in E.T (1982),because Mars (the makers of M and M's) wouldn't allow their candy to be used. Reece's did.

Reece's saw a boom in sales because of ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Product placement has been around for years, but this is the next level. (I hate that phrase)

You might see cheerios on the billboard in a scene, but I'll see something totally different

They can localise it too, so I could see advert for Audi dealer in Naas and someone in Cork could see advert for a local restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's also why you're seeing more smoking in TV shows-they can't advertise smoking, but if you have a character who smokes, it's not 'advertising'.. even tho it definitely is.

Or you have this egregious insult to everyone's intelligence-a blatant advert written into a 'detective procedural'.

It's not new, mind - a Cheerios box in Superman (1976) is probably one of the best examples of product placement.
    As is 'Reece's pieces' being cleverly used as a plot element in E.T (1982),because Mars (the makers of M and M's) wouldn't allow their candy to be used. Reece's did.

Reece's saw a boom in sales because of ET.

Jaysus, never seen that before/\/\/\/\. They're not even trying to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Darc19 wrote: »
    Product placement has been around for years, but this is the next level. (I hate that phrase)

You might see cheerios on the billboard in a scene, but I'll see something totally different

They can localise it too, so I could see advert for Audi dealer in Naas and someone in Cork could see advert for a local restaurant.

I wonder though how are they going to target it to specific demographics? Its not like Google where their algorithm knows what products you are interested in and shows you ads based on your previous searches. Perhaps they can base it on shows you watch but thats pretty broad. No point showing people ads for their local Audi dealership if they cant afford/dont want an Audi. I'd wonder are Sky/Virgin planning on buying peoples data off Google themselves to make it effective.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder though how are they going to target it to specific demographics? Its not like Google where their algorithm knows what products you are interested in and shows you ads based on your previous searches. Perhaps they can base it on shows you watch but thats pretty broad. No point showing people ads for their local Audi dealership if they cant afford/dont want an Audi. I'd wonder are Sky/Virgin planning on buying peoples data off Google themselves to make it effective.

For adverts in TV? Very simple-pretty much most shows are made with a targeted demographic in mind. Then they can show who is viewing the show at a certain hour or time of the day (in the US, some channels and streaming services are age locked so you can only unblock em with a pin or password).
    With that in mind, you can target adverts very easily within a show.

With the internet-way way way easier. You know all those little 'this site uses cookies'-accept all? Button?
    Yeah-that pretty much contains every information you've ever put out into the web (barring bank and credit card details). So if you've noticed adverts that seem to be targeted at your 'specific' needs-it's because all those cookies have your details.

Google don't have to sell anything-we've given them the details ourselves.

I think you are being a bit harsh on the mother. As a new father myself it is very real the restrictions a newborn baby puts on your ability to travel. She is not criticising the baby she is just pointing out that she can't be home this Christmas because of him. Obviously a mixed blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

Good call Immortal, one of the ads on my list at the mo, also:

Trivago - Old yank lady pays more for 4 star room with pool with her gold card than Trivago girl , Trivago girl who has stopped being sexy at this stage and just become very annoying sticks her nose in and gives yank lady a lecture, Fook Off please, you need a new theme

As if Trivago girl is not getting industry rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

SNNUS wrote: »
    The Lidl ad is the most annoying ad at the moment with the least convincing family ever.

makes zero sense , lidl spent the last 15 years or more trying to convince people of there irishness then run an advert with what seems to be an odd german family .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jaysus, never seen that before/\/\/\/\. They're not even trying to hide it.

He's not exactly a great advert for eating subway though, is he ?

Re - that 3 advert.

Honestly, people who complain about having kids have nobody to blame but themselves.

If you don't want em, don't have em. Or plan better.

Re - that 3 advert.

Honestly, people who complain about having kids have nobody to blame but themselves.

If you don't want em, don't have em. Or plan better.

Relax. She is not whinging and moaning about having a kid. She is just saying she can't travel with the newborn baby. She doesn't say if it is positive or negative. It just is.

You are inferring way too much from that ad.

I love hating on ads as much as the next man, but some people really need to relax a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

trashcan wrote: »
    He's not exactly a great advert for eating subway though, is he ?

Don't think the Yank fatties it's presumably aimed at will be too put off.

Don't think the Yank fatties it's presumably aimed at will be too put off.

The whole thing is meant to be like 'this heavy guy is gonna lose weight' kinda deal... leaves out the bit where Jerrod only ate the 'bare' minimum in his sandwiches. Barely had bread, for one.

Also doesn't take into account why Jerrod is currently sitting in prison...

It's not because of the sandwiches...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Acosta wrote: »
    As if Trivago girl is not getting industry rates.

Also, was it even the same type of room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

That Nissan Juke ad is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sonic85 wrote: »
    That Nissan Juke ad is an abomination.
    The one with the science kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The one with the science kit?

Yeah that's the one. "That's my girl." FFS

Advertisement