Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JPuke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

TBH I probably should've tried to link the ad just in case people didn't know what I was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,282 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That Daisy fragrance ad.

Bunch of simpering eejits twirling daisies.

sonic85 wrote: »
    That Nissan Juke ad is an abomination.

It's a great ad for something else, makes no sense advertising a car.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The shrieking is by far the worst element of that Three ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Pepsi ad saying 71% of people preferred it to Ireland's best selling cola (assumption Coca Cola), the stuff is nothing near Coca Cola for quality, it's like buying Fony when you should have bought Sony. Any pub which only sells Pepsi over Coca Cola is an ultra kip, same place will sell Cashels over Bulmers, Sol over Corona to unsuspecting idiots who like to depart with their cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ok , i know john lewis make fantastic adds but why the need to change or copy

they did a brilliant advert on Moz the monster in 2017 which was played out to a poor beetles cover by elbow

2019 they have a totally rubbish Bastille version of "cant fight the feeling" the 80s song like most 80s music is far better why not just use the original

The Pepsi ad saying 71% of people preferred it to Ireland's best selling cola (assumption Coca Cola), the stuff is nothing near Coca Cola for quality, it's like buying Fony when you should have bought Sony. Any pub which only sells Pepsi over Coca Cola is an ultra kip, same place will sell Cashels over Bulmers, Sol over Corona to unsuspecting idiots who like to depart with their cash.

Pepsi is miles nicer than Coca Cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Pepsi is miles nicer than Coca Cola.

I concur

You should try a blind taste test before you start attacking the empirical evidence. Fizzy drink science denier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I concur

I couldn't give a ****e...

M

You should try a blind taste test before you start attacking the empirical evidence. Fizzy drink science denier!

I'd pick Coca Cola every time, now I'm talking pure stuff, not the weaponised sugar free stuff.

M

sonic85 wrote: »
    That Nissan Juke ad is an abomination.

The car is a complete shed design wise, the ad is an excuse to cover this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭jackboy

‘Show her that you know her’. Some cheap jewelry tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

That IKEA ad with the grime rapping ornaments/toys. **** me it's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

DFS using Wallace and Gromit in their ads recently. Can mean one of two things. It's an old ad or they've got in a new voice actor for Wallace as Peter Sallins sadly passed away last year. Either way with Peter gone I think W&G should have been let rest with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

That promo for Dancing With The Feckin' Stars

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iirc the book Freakonomics dedicated a chapter to the Pepsi taste test. They basically said it is a bit of a fix. Pepsi always comes out top in their taste challenge because it is notably sweeter than Coke so the brain reacts to that and gets more enjoyment from it, hence most people will select Pepsi as their favourite, having only consumed a couple of sips. Coke claimed they did their own tests but participants had to drink an entire can of each and then choose. When done that way people found drinking an entire can of Pepsi was too sweet for them and instead chose Coke. Pepsi know this but continue with their trick because its a very good way to get people to switch their brand.

For adverts in TV? Very simple-pretty much most shows are made with a targeted demographic in mind. Then they can show who is viewing the show at a certain hour or time of the day (in the US, some channels and streaming services are age locked so you can only unblock em with a pin or password).
    With that in mind, you can target adverts very easily within a show.

With the internet-way way way easier. You know all those little 'this site uses cookies'-accept all? Button?
    Yeah-that pretty much contains every information you've ever put out into the web (barring bank and credit card details). So if you've noticed adverts that seem to be targeted at your 'specific' needs-it's because all those cookies have your details.

Google don't have to sell anything-we've given them the details ourselves.

Yeah but even though shows are targeted at a demographic it is still pretty broad compared to how Google & Facebook do it where they know more or less every facet of your life. I just wonder will Sky/Virgin buy your data from Facebook and then show you ads using that info, so somebody who just announced they got engaged on Facebook will now be seeing ads for wedding venues while watching tv. Facebook ads are unique in that users are literally telling them their entire life and ads can then be highly targeted with that info.

Ive read that in the US cable companies are testing in program purchases so you can buy literally anything that is on screen from the actors clothes to the sofa they are sitting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

flazio wrote: »
    DFS using Wallace and Gromit in their ads recently. Can mean one of two things. It's an old ad or they've got in a new voice actor for Wallace as Peter Sallins sadly passed away last year. Either way with Peter gone I think W&G should have been let rest with him.

I think it was recorded before, sadly.

It's also co-insiding with the 30th anniversary of Wallace and Gromit. There's a longer version of the advert.

I kind of agree on allowing W and G to rest. Unless Sallis gave his wishes to allow Wallace and Gromit continue without him. I know, when Aardman had a deal with Dreamworks, Dreamworks wanted Sallis replaced with an American actor.
    Aardman, and Nick Park, vehemently said no to this. Sallis was Wallace. Voiced the character when Aardman were still too poor to pay him his going rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    iirc the book Freakonomics dedicated a chapter to the Pepsi taste test. They basically said it is a bit of a fix. Pepsi always comes out top in their taste challenge because it is notably sweeter than Coke so the brain reacts to that and gets more enjoyment from it, hence most people will select Pepsi as their favourite, having only consumed a couple of sips. Coke claimed they did their own tests but participants had to drink an entire can of each and then choose. When done that way people found drinking an entire can of Pepsi was too sweet for them and instead chose Coke. Pepsi know this but continue with their trick because its a very good way to get people to switch their brand.

But Diet Coke tastes just as sweet, while Coke Zero has a bizarre aftertaste.

But all cola is muck at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jackboy wrote: »
    ‘Show her that you know her’. Some cheap overpriced jewelry tat.
    FYP there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,282 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

flazio wrote: »

It's an animated character, if someone else can do the voice to the same standard I don't see the issue, like Mickey Mouse/Daffy Duck/Bugs Bunny etc. All their original voice actors are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Peugeot ad with what seems to be footage of kids In the 80s talking about the car of the future. The audio of them talking sounds weirdly out of synq with the footage like they're dubbed.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder though how are they going to target it to specific demographics? Its not like Google where their algorithm knows what products you are interested in and shows you ads based on your previous searches. Perhaps they can base it on shows you watch but thats pretty broad. No point showing people ads for their local Audi dealership if they cant afford/dont want an Audi. I'd wonder are Sky/Virgin planning on buying peoples data off Google themselves to make it effective.

Id reckon they'll be tracking everything up to and including the ads you mute versus the ones you don't. What time you watch your TV, types of shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Just saw one for Travel Republic that's a shoe in for most irritating ad of the year. A woman's watch has a talking black man on it. His face is the watch face but for some reason he has a body as well which hangs lifelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's an animated character, if someone else can do the voice to the same standard I don't see the issue, like Mickey Mouse/Daffy Duck/Bugs Bunny etc. All their original voice actors are dead.

And Minnie Mouse-her voice actress, Russi Taylor, was one of the big voice acting losses this year.

Also voiced Martin Prince in the Simpsons. (The Simpsons recast the role, new voice is Grey DeLisle).

Speaking of Minnie Mouse
    Walt Disney World employees who portray Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck each filed police reports this month claiming they were inappropriately touched by tourists.

The woman inside the Mickey Mouse costume went to the hospital with neck injuries caused by a grandmother patting the character’s head, while the employees wearing the Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck costumes were groped by tourists, according to Orange county sheriff’s office reports.

The incidents come after a 51-year-old man was arrested in November after an employee portraying a Disney princess told investigators he groped her breast while getting a photo taken.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/27/disney-world-employees-inappropriate-touching-tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Visa ad asking people to shop local, the girl with the purple hair gets 2 chances to sing. She seems like the type who things she can sing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Elmo wrote: »
    Visa ad asking people to shop local, the girl with the purple hair gets 2 chances to sing. She seems like the type who things she can sing!

Ha ha, they're usually the worst!!

Advertisement