Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The good looking one or the one that thinks she’s funny?

The painfully unfunny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Didn't Eoghan self isolate 'so-well' he went off to Australia. Or at least he's meant to.

All I'm saying is I will gladly pay to get him to get outta here.

He did say that he was moving to Australia but he continues to grace us with his presence on RTE.

Attention seeking. Threatening to leave so we'd appreciate him more.

It'd be nice if he fecked off though. He's a terrible, terrible dose.

And it would be brilliant if he took his sister with him

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I hate the cycling advert of a 'little more space for a lot more safe'

The actors come across as the type of cyclists that break red lights (because they don't drive a car) or cycle on the footpath when suits (again because they don't drive a car)

There's something so annoying about the pair of them.
    elvis83 wrote: »
    "They say your home is your castle. But what if it actually is...a castle?!?!"

That voice...:eek: I have to mute the ad, and sometimes I am not quick enough.

He did say that he was moving to Australia but he continues to grace us with his presence on RTE.

Attention seeking. Threatening to leave so we'd appreciate him more.

It'd be nice if he fecked off though. He's a terrible, terrible dose.

And it would be brilliant if he took his sister with him

I'd imagine he'd look at the likes of Laura Whitmore and Angela Scanlon and realise 'if they have no hope outside of Ireland, you're screwed Eoghan'.

But his ego won't allow him go where he won't be recognised.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

Couldn't agree me, more thoughts exactly. The obligatory Garrihy too of course.

There's a weird implication that that these people are really down with the kids. I suspect they are not.

Eoghan McDermott is not exactly a teenager, despite his collection of Topman shirts and love for sh*t young bands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Her pronunciation of 'Castle' annoys me... is it me, or does she say it more like 'Cast- ell' with emphasis on the 'T'?

I wonder if it's cos yer wan is trying to hide her Cork accent, and it's tripping her up.

It sounds really strange, her voice. Very irritating.

I remember the one that I think it was AIB had, about 'backing brave' :rolleyes: that voice also made me want to throw something at the tv.

There's a weird implication that that these people are really down with the kids. I suspect they are not.

Eoghan McDermott is not exactly a teenager, despite his collection of Topman shirts and love for sh*t young bands.

'We're hip with the kids'...

'Aren't most of you closer to 40 than to 20?' Could they not have found anybody younger or more relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,281 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate the cycling advert of a 'little more space for a lot more safe'

The actors come across as the type of cyclists that break red lights (because they don't drive a car) or cycle on the footpath when suits (again because they don't drive a car)

"...space to ride safe"

Shouldn't it be "....space to ride safely"?

Just looks and sounds wrong to me, unless it's "backing brave"/ "let's make possible"
    trendy English mangling.

That “let’s make possible” just instantly makes me think of Ralph Wiggums unpossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

If it takes this shower to get through to a large number of young people out there the dangers we currently face then we're in even bigger trouble than I thought.

• Advertisement

It sounds really strange, her voice. Very irritating.

I remember the one that I think it was AIB had, about 'backing brave' :rolleyes: that voice also made me want to throw something at the tv.

The BOI voiceover is really annoying, but that AIB one is the most annoying voiceover in the history of Irish broadcasting. Nothing else comes even close.

The current BOI ad is part of this current trend to have voiceover actors sound as "real" and relatable as possible. It's the same with continuity announcers. A lot of them sound like they've been dragged in off the street and handed a piece of paper. I wish they went back to when they all sounded like stage actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Acosta wrote: »
    The BOI voiceover is really annoying, but that AIB one is the most annoying voiceover in the history of Irish broadcasting. Nothing else comes even close.

The current BOI ad is part of this current trend to have voiceover actors sound as "real" and relatable as possible. It's the same with continuity announcers. A lot of them sound like they've been dragged in off the street and handed a piece of paper. I wish they went back to when they all sounded like stage actors.

Bank of Are-land'

That Virgin Media ad with the girl. At the start she has an English accent, because ehh, she's English. For some reason they stick in a dubbed Irish accent at the end. Silly stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The nanny state no excuses is back again with its ham fisted messaging. Still, it is rather quaint that there showing a pub in the middle of pandemic.

I'd imagine he'd look at the likes of Laura Whitmore and Angela Scanlon and realise 'if they have no hope outside of Ireland, you're screwed Eoghan'.

But his ego won't allow him go where he won't be recognised.

He’s a head wrecker, sadly. Virtue-signaller, hipster and ‘quirky’ (although, ironically, one could predict his opinion on just about any topic).

He’s a head wrecker, sadly. Virtue-signaller, hipster and ‘quirky’ (although, ironically, one could predict his opinion on just about any topic).

Yep, literally went on the Late Late show, after Caroline Flack's suicide, and went full virtue signaller-even made the story about 'me, me, me'.
    Denounced social media, etc etc.

As soon as the interview was over, he was on twitter. Literally, minutes later.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McDermott was in that ad less than a second, gas how triggered some people round here get by him.

McDermott was in that ad less than a second, gas how triggered some people round here get by him.

He's a cisgendered. heterosexual, priviliged white male... of course we're triggered by him. :P

(Joking, but that's the type of wordage you'll see him use).

A second is all it takes to realise that he's a díckhead of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

the new RTE ad.

They've gathered up the most annoying c*nts from the canteen to tell young people to isolate:

that horrible tit Eoghan McDermott and his fringe, the Kavanagh gob****e, Lottie Ryan looking like something out of the Adams family and the singer from Kodaline who takes himself oh so seriously.

You'd be hard pressed to put together a bigger collection of wánkers.

An ad that reminds you of what a terrible bloody place RTE is.

I fuckin hate that ad! Lottie Ryan, Eoghan McDermott and yer one who was on Podge and Rodge. Annoying tits.

• Advertisement

fluke wrote: »
    I fuckin hate that ad! Lottie Ryan, Eoghan McDermott and yer one who was on Podge and Rodge. Annoying tits.

You mean the Pddge and Rodge show that absolutely nobody watched? You could offer to pay people to watch it, and you still couldn't give it away.
    Got cancelled faster than the St Patricks' Day parade.

But YOU WILL LIKE DOIRREANN!!! She's got RTE connections... she's 'insta-famous'...
    LIKE HER!!! ;)

Honestly, it's bizarre that the ONE decent show under Dee Forbes tenure was the Tommy Tiernan show.
    And that was a pretty much discovered by accident. But he got high profile guests, many notable, who were happy to sit down and 'have a chat'.
    It was cost effective too-literally himself and Fred 'whatshisface' hosting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Yeah it annoys the **** out of me as well - especially the one on roads of 80kph. If the cyclists are 3 abreast (as they usually are) are we all supposed to drive in the central median to give them the required space?

Well, yes.

Do you need someone to explain to you how to overtake?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Yeah it annoys the **** out of me as well - especially the one on roads of 80kph. If the cyclists are 3 abreast (as they usually are) are we all supposed to drive in the central median to give them the required space? Complete bull****.

I've only ever seen them ride 2 abreast to tbf, which I think they're legally allowed to do. Even if they are riding single file you are still breaking the central median if you want to overtake them safely. The last thing I want is to have a cyclist's life on my conscience because he had to swerve at the last minute to avoid a pot hole or something. So it makes sense to keep a cool head and overtake.

Granted the ad is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tim76 wrote: »
    I've only ever seen them ride 2 abreast to tbf, which I think they're legally allowed to do. .
    saying legally allowed sort of makes it sound like its not recommended but there is nothing the law can do to stop them. Cycling 2 abreast is often recommended for safety reasons.

I don't get the car logic. Do you think pedestrians breaking red lights do so because they do not have cars? Are people cars breaking reds doing so because they do not own trucks?

Gas how expressing an honest opinion is deemed to be 'triggered'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tim76 wrote: »
    I've only ever seen them ride 2 abreast to tbf, which I think they're legally allowed to do. Even if they are riding single file you are still breaking the central median if you want to overtake them safely. The last thing I want is to have a cyclist's life on my conscience because he had to swerve at the last minute to avoid a pot hole or something. So it makes sense to keep a cool head and overtake.

Granted the ad is very annoying.
    New strategy. Advise motorists that cyclists have Covid 19. Then they'll definitely give them space.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,281 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

the new RTE ad.

They've gathered up the most annoying c*nts from the canteen to tell young people to isolate:

that horrible tit Eoghan McDermott and his fringe, the Kavanagh gob****e, Lottie Ryan looking like something out of the Adams family and the singer from Kodaline who takes himself oh so seriously.

You'd be hard pressed to put together a bigger collection of wánkers.

An ad that reminds you of what a terrible bloody place RTE is.

They put together a great bunch of eminently forgettable people. Couldn't tell who half of them were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Maaaaaam

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭hibble

flazio wrote: »
    New strategy. Advise motorists that cyclists have Covid 19. Then they'll definitely give them space.

....unless they're all on the way to Glendalough.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They put together a great bunch of eminently forgettable people. Couldn't tell who half of them were.

The irony being, they are pushing the message of being "creative" when RTE as a company are the polar opposite of the word.

Advertisement